Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Eat the Strawberries

Still, there was a tale he had read once, long ago, as a small boy: the story of a traveler who had slipped down a cliff, with man-eating tigers above him and a lethal fall below him, who managed to stop his fall halfway down the side of the cliff, holding on for dear life. There was a clump of strawberries beside him, and certain death above him and below. What should he do? went the question.

And the reply was, Eat the strawberries.

Strawberries, fresh-picked.

Has anyone else (besides me) longed for a strawberry single note? Well, this is it!!! Eat the Strawberries is juicy ripe strawberries, neither too tart nor sweet, with a little strawberry leaf. It reminds me a lot of Strawberry Moon, minus the dandelion and other notes. Yum!!!

The same strawberry note from Strawberry Moon, only without embellishments or accompaniments. This is bright, juicy, very sweet but also ever so slightly tart, delicious ripe red strawberry. Perfect for summer, and surprisingly wearable for something so intense and straightforward. I keep going back for more sniffs and I can't stop smiling!

It's strawberries!

But not too artificial - this is the smell of gooshed strawberry pulp when you're hulling just a few too many to put into a pie. Fingers stained a bit red, and this kind of moist fruitiness, aura of seedy berry.

Over time it gets a tiiiiiny bit candy like, but it's still excellent.

No green/leaves/sap here.

Incredible. It smells just like a bowl of freshly cut strawberries. It is the most genuine fruit scent I have ever sniffed. I don't need to wear it. I just want to shove the bottle far enough up my nose so that it doesn't fall out and go on with my day. I would look silly though and before long, my nostrils would no longer match, so I will put it in a scent locket and keep the fresh strawberries with me all day long. SO GOOD.

This is super nauseating. I am officially resigning myself to no more strawberry stand alone scents from the lab. It smells like fake strawberry syrup with a touch and I mean a barest touch of real berry. *sigh*

You know how when you make strawberry jam or strawberry pie, and you cut up the fruit and add sugar before you pour it into the pot or crust to cook?

That.

::swoon::

When I first told my mom about my new BPAL hobby (lol) she mentioned an essential oil she used to wear as a young girl that smelled like strawberries. She said she loved it, but that in later years she could never find another perfume that smelled like it.

Two weeks later, Eat The Strawberries was added to the collection. I had to know.

In the bottle:
The first time I opened the bottle after receiving the order, I was immediately impressed. Speaking as someone who has been enjoying freshly picked, locally grown strawberries for the better part of a month now? This smelled like freshly picked strawberries! I gave my mom a sniff of this, too, and she says it does smell pretty close to what she remembers of her old favourite strawberry scent. I didn't get a chance to try it on my skin until a couple weeks after that, though, and now I'm finding it smells just a little more candyish. I was holding the bottle in my hand for a bit of a long period beforehand, though, so I'm wondering if it was affected by my body heat.

On me, wet and dry:
It seems to waver back and forth between smelling like real strawberries (to the point where I could swear I can even smell the leaves and seeds and dirt from where it came from) and smelling like strawberry candy. Either way, though, it's very nice!

Verdict:
My mom's birthday is in a couple weeks, so I ended up ordering a second bottle for her. :) I actually don't see me wearing this a whole lot just because it's not really a "me" scent, but I still love it and am so glad to have a bottle around to enjoy sniffing during the months when strawberries are no longer in season.

Candied strawberries. It's a sugary, fresh strawberry smell. For those of you that love strawberry moon or any of the strawberry/candy blends from BPAL tries this out. Sugary, sweet, pink. Good throw and wear length.

So strong!! There was some on my imp, which got on a piece of paper. Days later, I could still smell it wafting across the room. Sweet strawberries, for sure. I can see how someone who is sensitive to artificial fruits would not like this. It reminds me of strawberry chapstick, strawberries cut up for a pie, and my Strawberry Shortcake doll from when I was a kid. I think Strawberry Moon is more wearable, but this is such a happy, bright, excited about summer scent.

Eat the Strawberries is SUPER STRAWBERRY. Like a strawberry with a cape. I genuinely enjoy the purity of this, but I have to be ready for the fabulously strawberry day that I will have if I dot this on in the morning. Strawberries and sugar, like the filling for a pie. Delicious, but opt-in is required. :D

Wet: Despite the description this smells more like strawberry candy than fresh strawberry to me. Or maybe cooked down strawberry with some sugar? I was expecting the strawberry from strawberry moon - this is not it. I thought at first maybe it was the lack of green note that made it seem less fresh, but no, this is for sure a different strawberry note. For me, it's currently missing that tartness that a real strawberry has under the sweet. It's not bad, and at least it's not going plastic, but it's not my favourite strawberry either.

Dry: Much more like the strawberry note I was hoping for - some of the sweetness fades, and some fresh tartness creeps in. It's nice, but honestly I like slightly more complex strawberry scents I think. Great if you wanted straight up strawberry or a layering note though! Also, really good lasting power for any fruit scent, those often disappear on me.

Origin: decant that was frimped to me in a purchase

Initial Thoughts: I need to be selling rather than buying BPAL right now, which is why I haven't bought a bottle of this yet. But this was one of the few new American Gods scents that I had on my list and I am very happy to have the chance to try it.

In the Vial: An initial wave of general sweetness gives way to pure strawberry. Not quite fresh-picked, but lightly sugared...as in definitely ready to eat.

Wet: Ah, there's the fresh-picked part! Not as sugary, but very sweet strawberries.

Drydown: I'm getting a little hint of musk from somewhere. If there's any musk used to create the blend, then my skin will amp it. So it shifts from fresh strawberries to a gently sexy strawberry perfume on me.

Verdict: I have no objections to a gently sexy strawberry perfume. I think I'll be including a bottle the next time I order.

Very sweet candy strawberry. Too sweet to be real, it's kind of what 10% real juice, only in perfume. That being said, it doesn't go funky on me like other lab strawberry blends I've tried. I like this, and will re-test to see if I need more. To me, I think it needs to be layered with something musky to make it more interesting.

If you liked the strawberry in Diligent Instruction for the Bridal Night, this is the same thing, minus the creaminess that Diligent has in it. It smells like the original Bath & Body Works' Sun-Ripened Raspberry and Sugar Plum Fairy lotions - a very tart, slightly perfumey/musky, slightly plasticy berry. It's basically the berry single note version of Diligent, and I don't like it at all without some extra vanilla and creaminess to round it out. Simple and reminds me of the girls' lockerroom in middle school. Aggressive and overwhelming fake fruit. I find it to be too strong, tart and sour for my tastes.

Very pretty, however it does smell artificial but not what you think of when you think of artificial strawberry, it's kind of like an expensive strawberry soap like the best strawberry soap money can buy. It's still pretty though, very feminine but not overtly sweet, I bought it to layer with my pink moon since I don't really get much strawberry from it and I still like the combo but it's not as jam-y as I thought. The scent doesn't last too long on the skin but it's very true to the bottle it doesn't change much from dry to wet to in the bottle, perhaps because it's like a single note?

Edited by Mufasa

This is a more floral strawberry than I was expecting. Something about it is a bit artificial, though it's not sickly sweet. I like this one, but it's not as fresh and bright and juicy as I had hoped for, unfortunately!

In the imp: strawberry gummy candy, very artificial

Wet: Less artificial now, but still sort of wavering between fake and genuine strawberry. More like sliced strawberries in syrup that you'd put on ice cream or a Belgian waffle than a pint from the farmer's market. Sweet and tangy. I agree with puck_nc that there's some sort of musk in here, acting as a facsimile of strawberry leaves to attempt to ground it a little bit.

Dry: Pushes more artificial again.

Not as fresh as advertised, but still very tasty. Very single-note. My decant's probably enough for me, it's honestly not different-enough from a mass-produced fragrance oil to justify a full bottle.

In the decant: Strawberry candy. 

On my skin:

Wet, it has a brief moment of fresh strawberry but goes quickly back to the candy-like state. As it dries, I get an almost floral note along with the berry. I'm not sure if strawberry blossoms smell like this, exactly, but it seems that this is what they should smell like. After that, it's back to strawberry candy. And that's where it stays, a skin-close strawberry candy. It's a pleasant enough scent, but I don't think there's anything about it that will keep me reaching for the decant. 

I once had a small imp that I gave to a friend and I seriously regret it! It's a lovely single-note strawberry, I only wish it were slightly more tart.  It's very sweet, but i imagine it would be nice for layering. I can see this mixing really, really well with The Rose, the single-note rose scent.

Origin:

5mL from the Lab

Preconceived notions:

Truthfully, I've yet to encounter a BPAL strawberry scent that doesn't make me think of that strawberry-flavored pie filling gel that comes (or came, now sure if it even exists anymore) in plastic bags that you squeeze out.  Sort of a super sweet, artificial, cloying smell.

So I'm not expecting to like this, but I really want to because I love the smell of fresh strawberries!

In the bottle:

Yeah, that's the infamous Lab strawberry.  I don't get any green at all.  Just artificial pie filling gel.

Wet on skin:

Once I put it on, it becomes more realistic, with a tiny hint of green leaves and stem.

Dry down:

Mostly cloying, artificial strawberry again with just a hint of green.

The final verdict:

Fruity and fun, but artificial in a candy/syrup sort of way.  A bit childish.  Definitely needs to be worn on skin for me.

Received as a freebie for stopping at the booth at Midsummer Scream in 2018.

In the imp: Super sweet, a bit tart. It reminds me so much of strawberry bubblegum actually makes my mouth water a little, which I don't find to be a bad thing. It does mean that I don't find it to be a totally fresh strawberry scent. There's definitely something a little chemical to it.

Wet: Somehow there's an even sharper chemical note to it once it's on my skin. It's almost off-smelling but not enough that I would call it "rotten." Instead, I'd say it's got a little bit of a sinister edge to it.

Dry: As it dries, it fades into a little bit more of an organic strawberry scent, though still bubblegum-y and a little sinister. Decent throw. Lasts a handful of hours but by the end I have to get right up next to the skin to sense it.

When we were little, my grandma used to give us a dessert that was just freshly cut-up strawberries with a dusting of sugar - this is that! Sweet juicy sugared strawberries. I love it.

Awesome Husband: ...strawberry juice?...strawberry Capri Sun!

it doesn’t smell like real strawberry to me.

it smells like artificial - syrup or candy or shampoo. it’s not a bad thing. 

in the background, i get a slight sharpness from a green leaf.

i don’t love this, but i don’t dislike it either. it’s kind of a ‘whatever’ - i got it to go with HGs like party tricks or kamisuki, which i think it will pair well with (i’m pretty confident it’s the same strawberry used in both of those), however it hasn’t been my first choice with either so far.

This is a weird strawberry scent. It smells kind of like what my strawberry shortcake doll smelled like, minus the doll smell. It's weird because it doesn't smell realistic, but it has enough realism in it to make my mind associate with picking strawberries. It's like a fictional handful of fresh strawberries, so in that sense, it's apropos. 

This is somewhere between strawberry-scented doll head and strawberry rhubarb pie. I prefer my strawberries fresher and greener, but this is nice for those who like foody strawberry scents.