Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
patina

Alviss

The peculiar-looking man was of average height, but of an odd shape: Shadow had heard of men who were barrel-chested before, but had no image to accompany the metaphor. This man was barrel-chested, and he had legs like, yes, like tree trunks, and hands like, exactly, ham hocks. He wore a black parka with a hood, several sweaters, thick dungarees, and, incongruously, in the winter and with those clothes, a pair of white tennis shoes, which were the same size and shape as shoeboxes. His fingers resembled sausages, with flat, squared-off fingertips.

"That's some hum you got," said Shadow from the driver's seat.

"Sorry," said the peculiar young man, in a deep, deep voice, embarrassed. He stopped humming.

"No, I enjoyed it," said Shadow. "Don't stop."

The peculiar young man hesitated, then commenced to hum once more, his voice as deep and reverberant as before. This time there were words interspersed in the humming. "Down down down," he sang, so deeply that the windows rattled. "Down down down, down down, down down."

Thick, tangled, and strong: ash and oak, elm and pine, reaching down, down, and deeper down into earth.

In decant: Root beer? It smells like there's birch in this.

On: Ooh, that's a nice deep resin scent. The pine is not overwhelming everything else, nor does it smell like pine sol. It's more of a dried Christmas tree note, but well balanced with the other woods. I can't tell whether "earth" means a dirt note but this is spicy to my nose. If dirt's there it's vetiver based like the one in Badger from The Wind and the Willows scents. I've smelled a men's cologne a little like this before. Dior's original Fahrenheit maybe. Or maybe not that one.

Light in strength and little throw, I'm afraid this one may disappear altogether in a few hours. Edit: Better strength than I'd thought. Far over the misty mountains cold, through dungeons deep and caverns old we must away before break of day...I don't mind smelling like a dwarf king. Edited by patina

Oak, pine, elm, ash and deep earth. Definitely mud and sol, was well as a touch of vetiver. This smells like you've been outside in the forest, digging around tree roots. Deeply, powerful, earthy. Woodsier than say, Graveyard Dirt, but its more like FOREST dirt. Good throw and wear length.

Okay, this is very warm, cozy, and bright on me. Polished wood to me, I think, but not of any particular type. It's rather spicy and also resinous. Relatively light on my skin and doesn't have much throw on me which is fine, because it means I can wear it to work.

First on, this goes to sour pine (reminds me a bit of cat pee) and acrid, sharp woodsmoke.

Then, all of a sudden, the scent shifts and it smells like sweet root beer and vanilla float with spicy bay rum cologne over a warm, woody base.

Masculine, spicy, sweet, woody. Very warm. A smokiness wafts in and out, but it smells like rich tobacco in this stage rather than sharp woodsmoke.

A nice scent for a warm and masculine leaning forest fragrance.

In Bottle:  I would think there is mint in this from the scent, but it's not listed.  The trees are extremely strong, the warmth of the deciduous woods and the sharpness of the evergreen form something very realistically forest when blended with the earthiness.  Very first snow in the forest.  Wet: Still very minty, and my skin seems to throw the balance off.  The Mint wins, supported by he deciduous woods, the pine retreating into a mere hint.  Dry: The mint is gone leaving a lovely woody scent.

Resin and roots and tree sap. Doesn't smell foresty, more like a young green tree. Masculine to unisex but does not strike me as "cologne-like." Pleasantly moderate in strength.

I am not familiar with the scent of ash or elm, but I definitely get a ton of chewy oak when this is first applied, along with some pine. Those two notes remain the stars of the show throughout wear, although the other tree notes do get stronger over time. Unisex to masculine, but I agree with bellumed that it doesn't smell like a cologne. I didn't get any smoke or dirt.

I'll be hanging onto my decant to see if I reach for it... I'm thinking it would go great with Rocky Mountain Goats Hair Gloss. :)