Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

A Song: When June is Past, the Fading Rose

Ask me no more where Jove bestows,
When June is past, the fading rose;
For in your beautys orient deep
These flowers as in their causes, sleep.

Ask me no more whither doth stray
The golden atoms of the day;
For in pure love heaven did prepare
Those powders to enrich your hair.

Ask me no more whither doth haste
The nightingale when May is past;
For in your sweet dividing throat
She winters and keeps warm her note.

Ask me no more where those stars light
That downwards fall in dead of night;
For in your eyes they sit, and there,
Fixed become as in their sphere.

Ask me no more if east or west
The phoenix builds her spicy nest;
For unto you at last she flies,
And in your fragrant bosom dies.

Thomas Carew

Amber-gilded summer roses fading; sandalwood dust, cassia and sweet myrrh, and threads of lavender.

In The Bottle: Dusty, dried roses and just a *wee* bit of myrrh, which is about all I can tolerate. Let's hope it stays that way!

Wet On Skin: I'm getting some of the amber now, and it's pulling the rose out of "dried" and into "alive but fading". The myrrh has increased, but only slightly. There might be a touch of dustiness from sandalwood, but only as an afterthought. No lavender, alas, at this point.

Dry Down: A glorious blown out, fading cabbage rose with some myrrh to sweeten the pot. There's something very wistful about this scent, less "June" and more "Late August", when the heat and sun have left their scorched mark upon all the vegetation and the roses have wilted and the first harvest is about to come ripe. I'm not big on florals, but I suspect I'll very much like wearing this one toward Summer's end. <3

In the bottle: very sweet myrrh, amber, and lavender.

Wet: roses and lavender, with rich warm amber and myrrh. I'm getting the same effect with the rose as VioletChaos, not dried but not fresh and dewy either.

Dry: Similar to wet but the sandalwood and cassia dry this blend out and make it soft and memory-like. The lavender is sweet, like TKO (without the marshmallow aspect) which I prefer to sharp herbal lavender. There is definitely a dried out/heat element without being spicy. It reminds me of sitting in a sun-baked meadow as the sunsets.

"A Song..." is a very beautiful floral; light and sweet. I don't smell rose, but I do smell wildflowers. A little bit of the sweet myrrh. This smells expensive and vintage, and I can't stop sniffing, even hours after applying it. It's definitely a perfect summer scent, and possibly all through autumn. This one is a keeper.

Soft roses, sandalwood, touch of lavender and cassia. This one is a soft, spring floral. It's actually very motherly in that cool, comforting way. Medium throw and wear length.

Wet: The rose note is really sour at first (rose does this weird lemony thing on me sometimes) but it settles and the honey pops out. The lavender lends a herbal edge that's a bit sharp. This might need some aging to round out a bit, but as it is I am not loving it right now.

Dry: This is really overly sweet on me. I even like really sweet scents, but this amber note is just not doing anything for me with the rose, it's almost reading as honey, but in an artificial way. The lavender vanished. Ya, this one had promise, but not for me. :(

This was guaranteed baby powder on me with the amber and sandalwood notes. I get that bone dry powder. I also thought this would be spicy from the cassia, but it doesn't turn spicy on me at all. I do get a sour, perfumey, red rose and herbal lavender. It reminds me of the rose and lavender scented powders and bath salts that my grandmother used to keep in her bathroom. Clean, herbal, perfumey rose with lots of powdery, dusty tones...

Definitely rose, but not powdery, dry though, but spicy dry and the richness of the amber. It really is floaty like something fading or a dream - hazy. Really, how does Beth do it?