Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Casablanca

Take the Moon

She held his hand, with a hand that was icy cold. "You were given protection once. You were given the sun itself. But you lost it already. You gave it away. All I can give you is much weaker protection. The daughter, not the father. But all helps. Yes?" Her white hair blew about her face in the chilly wind.

"Do I have to fight you? Or play checkers?" he asked.

"You do not even have to kiss me," she told him. "Just take the moon from me."

"How?"

"Take the moon."

"I don't understand."

"Watch," said Zorya Polunochnaya. She raised her left hand and held it in front of the moon, so that her forefinger and thumb seemed to be grasping it. Then, in one smooth movement, she plucked at it. For a moment, it looked like she had taken the moon from the sky, but then Shadow saw that the moon shone still, and Zorya Polunochnaya opened her hand to display a silver Liberty-head dollar resting between finger and thumb.

"That was beautifully done," said Shadow. "I didn't see you palm it. And I don't know how you did that last bit."

"I did not palm it," she said. "I took it. And now I give it you, to keep safe. Here. Don't give this one away."

Silvered musk and lemon peel, white fir needle, frosted apple blossom, and mugwort.

In the bottle, I get a cool, medicinal lemon fir.

On my skin, the medicinal quality lingers for a few seconds, and then mostly settles into a forest of silver-frosted lemon fir trees. After another moment, I pick up the apple flower, adding a little sweetness. It reminds me of the pretty apple blossom in Bestiaire du Moyen Âge. I dont smell mugwort at any point.

This is an intensely silvery blend, with glints of pale yellow lemon, and ghostly fir white-green. Its mix of spring and winter elements makes me think sometimes of sweet late-winter snowmelts, and sometimes of Vicks VapoRub.

Cool lemon and apple blossom, frosty fir, and just a whiff of musk. This is a silvery, lemony, dreamy blend. I get a ton of apple blossom from this. The mugwort adds to the lunar impression. This scent is gorgeous!

I love the name of this. I loved the scene in the book, I loved the scene in the show. I'm not really expecting to love these notes, but I'm trying it anyway!

Wet: really interesting! It feels cold. It's such an ethereal, foreign scent. Like a bunch of familiar things that combine to make something totally mysterious and unrecognizable, if that makes sense. Wow, this is so hard to describe, but it's very atmospheric, very magical. Mentholated without actually smelling of mint/menthol, which is interesting. You can almost imagine that the cool night air on that rooftop smelled just like this. I don't know if I'm crazy or not, but I get hints of the same pale, silvery musk from The Girl (though these two scents are very different). The lemon is getting stronger, and is sadly a bit sharp on me, which is too bad. Without that sour sharpness, this scent would be so perfect. Thanks, skin.

Dry: It's not listed, but I swear there's a sparkly ambergris in this! Must be the musk I'm getting. It's so pretty, but I think it needs some age to take some of the slightly screechy edges off (on my skin, at least). I will be holding onto my decant for further testing. Neat scent!

ETA: The musk note in this lasts long after the other, lighter notes fade, and it's really different and quite spectacular!

Edited by LizziesLuck

The apple blossom in this is the lovely kind that was in Bestiaire du Moyen Age, and not the kind that turns to soap on me. It's like chilled green apple slices, dusted lightly with powdered sugar. Sweet, but airy and crisp. The lemon and pine aren't as bad as I expected them to be, but the lemon still turns a little too tart and sour on my skin, with the fir smelling cool, crisp and mentholic. I think I'm actually going to try this out in an oil diffuser, because I feel like it would be an awesome, clean smelling room fragrance. Forest apples with clean lemon.

Oh I think I need a bottle of this. It's silvery and sweet from the apple blossom and the lemon is amazing and the mugwort is just the right amount and I think it's going to be great for sleep or calm times.

To me, this scent genuinely smells like moonbeams. The lemon and fir and silver musk go together beautifully to give it a bright sort of smell that's, well, silvery. It's a light scent without being as delicate as the Zorya P perfume, and I like the crispness that comes from the apple blossom and fir. It's just a lovely clean scent, like a clear night.

It took forever for silvery musk to show in this blend; I've had it like a year now and in the past i just got mugwort and fir, as loud and medicinal as could be. Now I finally get those things as a beautiful silver counterpoint to the vaguely vanillic silver musk. I've never really gotten apple blossom out of this as an individual note, but it and the lemon are probably what give this its fresh, crisp edge and boost the impression of "silver."

ETA: My skin chemistry's abruptly done an about-face and a bunch of things I didn't love but kept in hopes they would someday work for me are now working wonderfully for me (I'm trying to focus on that instead of all of the scents I can't seem to wear any longer). This is one of them.  This time i get Silvery Musk right off the bat and don't have to sniff around for it and the fir doesn't really amp at all, though the mugwort stays strong, if more willing to share the playing field.  I definitely get a distinct soft floral.  I don't pinpoint it as apple blossom but it's soft, spring-y and not a white floral or a rose so it's recognizeable as in that category of scent.  Overall this really has become beautiful and thank goodness.  

Edited by PrinceofcatS

The fir needle, lemon peel, and frosted apple blossom are the first notes to make an appearance on my skin. It's bright and crisp, and the lemon peel and apple blossom end up being the dominant notes. It takes a while for the silvery musk to make its presence known, but after a few hours, it joins the lemon peel, apple blossom, and fir on the center stage. I am not able to pick out the mugwort. It does have a bright, silvery, lunar feel, evocative of moonlight.

I am not sure that I need a bottle just yet, but I do think it is really nice and that I'll probably want more of it at some point down the road! :)