Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Casablanca

Zorya Polunochnaya

Pale amber and ambergris, gossamer vanilla, moonflower, and white tobacco petals.

Scent is a weird thing. Something about Zorya P gives me butterflies in my stomach, it's so beautiful. As others have said, this scent is delicate and ethereal. The moonflower gives it dreaminess, the vanilla and amber give it sweetness, and the ambergris and tobacco flower ground it and give it an otherworldly edge. I'm really glad I took a chance on a blind bottle---I'd been a bit wary after Zorya's comparisons to Lyonesse (which I like okay, but the ambergris and elemi amp on me and make it sort of lemony-salty? anyway). Zorya is much sweeter and vanillic in comparison, at least from my perspective.

ETA: Funny story - my teenaged sister (not other sister who loves BPAL) is always saying perfume smells like old ladies . . . Well, the other day when I was visiting she came over and sniffled my bottle of Zorya P. Then put some on. Then put some more on. Smelled her wrists a lot. She then asked me for the link to the webpage and ordered it the next morning. :D

Edited by feyofthefellwood
Added scent description.

I've had this bottle for years now and I liked it okay but I never LOVED it. Ive recently come around after I realized its mostly tobacco I'm smelling and I am having a tobacco moment. Its ethereal powdery tobacco on me with a non sweet amber. I don't really get vanilla from this and I don't find it to be sweet. 

OK so this is pretty much exactly how you would think the lady herself may be fragranced.

On me, this one is kind of fleeting - my skin just eats it up! But while it lasts, everything about Zorya P is soft and clean and pure and pretty. It really does have a very calming feel about it, and a gentle touch that leans almost musky but not quite. It's one of those ageless, classic style perfumes that could never offend anyone because it's just nice.

If you're scared of "tobacco" don't be - this isn't your usual tobacco note. And if you're scared of ambergris don't be - it's here to add a silky softness rather than a scent, although if I breathe in deeply I can definitely pick up that salty ambergris tang. 

If you like Antique Lace and similar olde worlde style BPALs, this one's for you. I actually prefer They Shut Me Up In Prose, which has a very similar vibe, but only because that one sticks around much longer than Ms Z. 

I purchased a bottle of Zorya P a week ago. I wanted to ask if other people find this scent weak?

I'm finding I have to put 4 x on as much as any other bpal I own and it's still not as strong as I want it to be. 

I love the notes, and it smells like a smooth milky vanilla bath made for the gods. 

But I'm confused in how weak it smells on me. 😕 

Am I asomnic to the notes? 

Edited by Fluffymadkat

American Gods is a favorite of mine and I’ve been looking forward to trying something from this collection.

in the bottle cool vanilla and sweetness. my partner described it as a snuggly scent and I agree.

wet has gorgeous almost peppery florals starting to come out with the vanilla and it’s lovely. the salty ambergris is just underneath everything too. this is another very well blended scent, nothing particularly stands out more than anything else and yet they all work together to elevate each other.

dry is both gentler and stronger somehow. this scent kind of comes and goes on me like I almost forget im wearing it and then I get a whiff. a ghost of a perfume is a great descriptor! i can also see the comparison to ghost milk while they don’t really smell the same they remind me of each other (and smell fantastic layered together 😍). This makes me think of a fancy perfume but the perfume is being casual about it.

vanilla and floral, gentle yet complex, snuggly and comforting. I think this perfume captures the character of Zorya P perfectly. I can totally imagine smelling this before actually seeing her and I bet getting a hug from someone wearing this is divine (pun intended 😝). There is something almost sexy and very intimate about this scent, it makes me think of nighttime... I think I love this and a full bottle purchase is very likely.

As a vanilla lover, I thought it was high time I got this one. I think I was scared of the moonflower and tobacco petals adding too much of a floral note. I shouldn't have been.

Sweet, sheer, ethereal, ghostly vanilla. It really is evocative of Miss Zorya P and the scene on the roof with the moon.

Quite new, I found it disappears quickly on my skin, so I'm hoping age will bring about more longevity. I feel this one is a good one when you want to feel quietly powerful, subtle and mysterious.

In the bottle: a creamy and dusty/nose tickling vanilla amber.

The first time I ever tried this scent it was completely powdery. It’s still a little powder to me. When it’s drying down it does have this light and ethereal mixture of ambergris and sheer tobacco petal. If I concentrate on it I can pick those scents out, but overall it’s a light brown scent to me, slightly golden powder vanilla.

I do like it though. Reminds me of a version of Boo that I have (v7?). Not sure that I’ll keep it yet as I hate the powdery thing happening.

Yummy. I've got a fetish for cool vanilla. this is a gentle, cold vanilla with soft little trails of florals. Not powdery on me, but very ethereal. 

Finally just gave in and blind-bottled, and I'm so glad I did. It's a cold and sweet vanilla, with a floral quality. It reminds me of the vanilla in Le Serpent Qui Danse, one of my very first BPALs, that same cold + beautiful aura. Very soft skin scent, but lingers. Wish it lingered longer, but maybe it will with age. A real winner!