Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Mr. Czernobog

Shadow saw a gray-haired old Eastern-European immigrant, with a shabby raincoat and one iron-colored tooth, true. But he also saw a squat black thing, darker than the darkness that surrounded them, its eyes two burning coals; and he saw a prince, with long flowing black hair and a long black mustache, blood on his hands and his face, riding, naked but for a bear skin over his shoulder, on a creature half-man, half-beast, his face and torso blue-tattooed with swirls and spirals.

Unfiltered cigarettes, the leather and metal of sledgehammers, aortal blood slowly drying, and black incense.

Czernobog is such an interesting fella. I get a ton of metal, with some red blood, and a touch of incense and smoke. It's cleaner than what the description is allowing for - but it's not clean metal. And yet in other ways, this smells like an old Eastern European // from the old country // would smell. You know the type. The kind that can wears pants (never jeans, not a suit, but jeans are too modern for him), but also has a rifle to shoot a bear, but would be OK to wrestle a bear with his bare hands because sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, drinks vodka/firewater copiously, can swear mightily but also has some old fashioned manners.

It's definitely a hammer smell that has been used - and maybe bashed a couple of fingers in the meantime as well. Uncompromisingly male, but not quite feral but not quite tame either. I'm surprised at how much I'm actually enjoying it as a smell. It has a low throw but great wear length.

Cinnamon, fir and something metallic or mentholated on first application. Very clean and balanced. The incense isn't strong or burning. More of a stored-in-a-wood-box smell. I agree that it is masculine but not so much so that it couldn't be unisex as well. The leather and unfiltered cigarette is a roll your own smoke from a leather pouch of tobacco. My fiancé says it smells like camping in an evergreen forest with friends on him and I agree. On me, it smells like cooking with herbs and spices in a the log cabin by the lake. Really like this.

In the Bottle:

Strangely dry and earthy/ashen with blood/musk

On the Skin:

Just awesome. Definitely get a cigarette ash note (which I like) which is dusty, dry and fragrant. The blood adds a coppery tang which quickly morphs into a wonderful metallic which is not your usual cold steel scent but oddly warm and heavy, more like lead

On the Drydown:

The incense note emerges - sweet and resinous. Dries down to an amazing metallic musk. Possibly the most fascinating lab scent so far for me. The extreme drydown is mineral. I love it and will need a backup.

Sugared pineapple, maybe with papaya. This is not what I expected and at first I wondered if I'd gotten The Jeweled Spider by mistake instead. But no one else got the same scent I did.The "cold iron" note in Baba Yaga also does this to me and dragon's blood can be a bit fruity. I can see how someone would get a fir note from this too. I can pick out tobacco if I try. On the drydown the metal becomes more metal-like but still mostly fruity. I thought this would smell like SkekUng. But no.

At least it's refreshing.

After resting a day it seems less fruity, more mentholated tobacco, fir. It still resembles pineapple, but now that note could almost be a ginger. Still refreshing. This just might eventually age into actually smelling like cold metal and tobacco.

Edited by patina

Metal and a little menthol with a tinge of incense. I'm digging it. Very evocative scent.

On me, this smells like a dirty ash tray and that cold, metallic, dirty, menthol cigarette wrapper smell that I used to get from the bottom of my mom's purse, where bits of cigarette filling and foil would accumulate. I hated that smell. A bit of sweet incense and the pine that others have mentioned in the drydown, but I can't shake that earlier impression of dirty cigarette scraps...

This is reeeeeally different from what I was expecting. It's not unpleasant, just... not what I wanted. I was thinking this would be dark, sticky, resinous and leathery. This is pale, clean and sweet on me. Very strange.

In the imp I get a sort of rusty tang, citrus sweetness, and high pitched dirt smell. It's very odd. On, this immediately becomes light and sweet though. If there's incense or vetiver, it's waaaaaaay in the back. Honestly, I swear I'm getting a cream sickle vibe. Then sort of like ... an herbaly sweetness you might get in a light IPA? Leather wears well on me, but tends to stay light on my skin. I'm getting no leather from this. It's all cream sickle beer. O_O

No idea.

Edited by VetchVesper

Wet, just out of the bottle, there is something about Mr. Czernobog that tugs at the edges of memory. A sweet, spicy heat, but tempered by a child-like treat. Milk and grains. Soupy cinnamon oatmeal, or a forbidden breakfast cereal like Cinnamon Toast Crunch? Or…no! I have it. Little Debbie Pecan Pinwheels. Once applied to skin, however, that strange, wonderful association fades as a mentholated, metallic aspect momentarily asserts itself. From there it becomes an iron tooth lost amidst coniferous detritus underfoot.