Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fancy salted Snake Oil with a hint of mixed nuts.

In the Bottle: OH HAI SALT!!! This is SO salt-note-heavy that it's reading like salt water or brine. I hope that levels out because water notes are *terrible* on me, but the pure salt tends to ho okay. *fingers crossed*

Wet On Skin: *whew!* it seems to be calming out, with a definite nut note stepping forward. Right now it's like very salty nut brittle, since the Snake Oil is actually farther in the background than I anticipated.

Dry Down: Wow. This is pretty special, and sort of exactly what I was hoping for: all the sweet, spicy complexity of Snake Oil with salty nuts tossed in! This just came today, and we all know how Snake Oil improves with age. Therefore, I'm not going to leave it alone for at least a month but if it goes as well as it's already promising, a backup bottle to age for a year minimum might well be called for! :lovestruck:

Snffing in the bottle, yep... there is a slight saltiness to this. Salty Snake Oil, but sniffing, it isn't heavy on the salt.

On skin - Yep!! Salty! A little bit nutty... as listed in the notes. To me, it would be as if Snake Oil was made into a movie night snack! :) Something edible about it.

As it dries down, it stays the same... salty nutty snake oil. It is interesting. Not sure I like this one, but maybe I will let it sit for a while. BUT I can't pass up anything that has Snake Oil in it! :)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! The same sweet, nutty note in Mouse Circus, but with the subtle sexiness of Snake Oil in the background. Perhaps a bit of musk. I'd say about medium-to-low throw, and lasts all day. I seriously want to douse myself in this everyday. Must find another bottle!

ETA:

Just adding some more love for this! It's fascinating to read how other people experienced this. I'm thinking that you have to know that the salt note will work with your skin chemistry. The quickest BPAL salt similarity I can come up with is Aegir, but I know very few people got to try that. I think the peanutty side of this is akin to Mouse Circus, but the salt is really what determines what your skin will do with the nuts and Snake Oil.

And it's funny because I definitely wouldn't associate this with an aquatic. The saltiness enhances the sweetness/vanilla/spices/nuts in a "fancy cookie" kinda way, rather than pushing it towards something I associate with the sea.

Edited by torikitty

This is my favorite Prank, which is surprising as I can not hang with Snake Oil. Snake Can is sweet caramel and salty peanuts. For me it's a Pay Day candy bar.

Edited by Fiam

Another Snake Oil variant that goes weird on me. The funny thing is, the original isn't bad per se on my skin--just not one I would buy multiples of or wear very often. This starts off well, with a sort of salty, roasted-hazelnut thing going on over the dark musks of Snake Oil. Then something changes and it's like weird, sharp, chemical soap. I can still smell the nuts, oddly enough, but the actual Snake Oil has vanished! My skin must really not like it much.

I'm weird because the salt here makes me immediately think "aquatics." This isn't an aquatic, but it smells clean to me. I could see that either getting unpleasantly soapy or helping to make the Snake Oil a lot less "dirty" for people who don't like musks.

It's an oddly clean vanilla and salted caramel scent for when you want to wear snake oil but don't want to amp it so much.

Pleasant but maybe don't wear around people with nut allergies?

Edited by patina

This smells alot like Mouse Circus, but more peanuts and definitely Snake Oil-like. It's a deep roasted peanut smell. Good throw and wear length. Probably a touch too nutty for me. ;)

The combination of the sweet Snake Oil resins and the salty nutty prank base make me think of caramel corn, which makes me think of this blend as a mashup between Snake Oil and Midway. It's been years since I smelled Midway, so I may be off base here, but there's still a jolly dark carnival vibe to the blend.

I don't get any aquatics; I do get salt, but it's what I think of as the "dry salt" base of Jolly Roger (and Gingerbread Jolly Roger, one of my favorite blends!).

Within the hour, though, this settles down to a lighter, nuttier, but still recognizable Snake Oil, except that Snake in a Can smells gold where straight Snake Oil smells mahogany, if that makes sense.

I absolutely love this. So much. Like maybe i can sell a kidney to be able to hoard it "love".

​On me, I do get aquatics, but it's not overly so.
​My notes were: "More relaxed cousin of Malignant Dreams of Cthulhu in Love"

​On me, it's a really good mix of everything with nothing being overpowering. The salt also calms down the foodie smell so it gets "light" smelling (not that the throw isn't strong. It is, it's just not cloying).
Also, depending on my cycle, Snake Oil can have that playdough scent...no playdough here, which makes me super happy.

​I wasn't expecting to have found a favorite spring scent, but this is as close to "me...in spring!" that has ever been bottled.

​Really good throw and wear length (I tested a bit on the back on my palm and could smell it strongly for around 5 hours. Probably lasted 8 in total with the remaining 3 being two hours of medium throw and one hour at close to skin).

I love Snake Oil. Snake Skin was an instant buy, and so was this (and I hope Beth keeps the Snakey blends coming!)

Wet: Yep, that's nutty and salty, alright! And...toasted? Like, the nuts are totally toasted nuts, if that makes sense. The salt wants to do an aquatic type thing, but the Snake Oil is all like, "Oh no you don't!" and squashes it back down again. Instead, it makes it...summery. Ya, it's summery instead of being dryer-sheets-aquatic. I have changed my mind about the nuts though....they are caramelized instead of toasted. This is much lighter and softer than Snake Oil.

Dry: Still just on the edge of aquatic, but in a way I can really enjoy, which is nice. It's nutty and sweet, but also somehow fresh and....beachy? Like Snake Oil at the beach, lol. I really like it and am glad I grabbed it.

The first time that I tried this, I thought that it smelled like Mouse Circus, so I wore it again side-by-side with Mouse Circus, and the similarities aren't really there at all. Mouse Circus is like a fluffy, creamy peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwich. Snake Can is weirdly green (like green grass and pulpy, wet bamboo) and soapy, like the new version of Banded Sea Snake, with more of a salty aquatic edge. I get a hint of vanilla in the drydown, but it's perfumey/musky and slightly powdery.

Soapy, salty aquatic, sharp green, and powdery vanilla musk.

This is one of the few Snake Oil 'flankers' that I don't care for at all.

Salty snake oil, perfect for Summer and the beach. I get very little nuts, and nothing like Mouse Circus (which was straight up plastic on me, so I really can't compare them).

The salt does lean to the aquatic side, but I like it. I don't think I'll need a bottle but a full decant to age will be great as this one will be so good in a few years.

This was a blind buy for me because I do love Snake Oil.

However, in the bottle when I first got this, there was a very strong baby diapers association. I'm not sure why. I think the Snake Oil somehow was leaning very powdery with the salt/nuts underneath making this very musky and just...odd.

It's been settling now for several months, and I finally skin tested it, as the 'baby diaper' smell from sniffing the bottle died down a lot.

At first, wet, this is now a much less sultry version of Snake Oil on my skin. The mixed nuts kind of mellow the Snake Oil. After about an hour, the Snake Oil is gone and it's mostly just like sticking your nose in a can of mixed nuts with some salt. This one isn't for me.

Sweet, salty, peanut buttery Snake Oil, like Mouse Circus without its creamy notes with a dab of Snake oil. The saltiness is amazing and makes Snake Can smell edible but fancy.

Not like the nut in mouse circus, to me. I don't really even get deep snake oil. It's the weirdest thing, nothing like I expected. I hoped for mouse circus meets snake oil. I get whiffs of crushed peanut, not super creamy, sweet or salty. It doesn't have that deep resinous scent I usually associate with snake oil. Dry, it's like diluted snake oil with a faint crushed raw peanut edge.