Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Pink Moon 2017

The name of this moon refers to the color of wild ground phlox, a primary component of this Lunacy Blend, which is one of the most widespread floral signposts of springtime in North America. This Lunar blend is soft with phlox, tulip, daffodil, pink columbine, delphinium, pink carnation, peony, and muscari, dusted with pink sugar and honey, bourbon vanilla and a touch of the first strawberries of the season.

Just after application, I'm getting a wonderful mix of mostly peony and spicy carnation. This is a gorgeous blend of some of my favorite girly florals with a tiny bit of strawberry which I would call more of a tart berry blossom. It's sweet, but not in a candy sweet way which makes this pinky more mature than some of the earlier, candy sweet versions.

Imagine sinking your face into a big bouquet made of perfect spring with just the right amount of spice to make it sexy. The honey is barely there, and seems to be mixing with the daffodil to warm things up. I'm also getting the silvery moon lunar note when I smell up close. It's really nice and makes it all crystalline and illuminated.

The dry-down plumps up and takes on a bit more of the pink sugar, but it's balanced by the spiciness of the carnation and remains like the sweetness of a nectar filled flower, rather than cloying cottoncandy. I'm looking at the moon through heart-shaped, rose-tinted glasses and it smells like happiness.

Edited by Jenjin

This is just a nice medley of pink flowers, though the one I get the most of and can best identify is carnation. It has a spun-sugar quality that reminds me of High Strung Daisies, but more complex. I definitely get the vanilla as it dries down, but no strawberry. A very lovely pink blend!

This is a lovely scent, I don't really get strawberry or honey but the florals and bourbon are fantastic. I don't think it's all that sweet though I haven't tried other pink moons, I would never classify this one as candy sweet that the other pink moons are described as. It has a low throw but it lasts a while, it lasted even after a heavy scrubbing and several hours of wear

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I have a partial decant of the original Pink Moon, which I like a lot. I may or may not have tried a later iteration, but so many of these notes are wins for me I had to try this version.

In the Bottle: Lots of flowers and honey and a sharp tang that might be the strawberries or might be one of the flowers. Definitely a cheerful scent.

Wet: A blast of florals, with something threatening to go sharp, but it very quickly lets the honey loose and sweetens up.

Drydown: This is staying strongly honey on me, with a backing of flowers. I can pick out the carnation if I try hard.

Verdict: It's not what I expected, but I think I like it.

In the bottle, I smell strawberries and a soft mingling of flowers and honey.

On my skin, it’s strawberries in honeyed and lightly sugared spring flowers. Pretty! The mood of this reminds me of Bilquis and Libra 2016, but lighter and pinker, and more delicate. For the flowers, I get pink carnation, peony, and phlox — this was great with Phlox bath oil last night. The rest of the flowers are a floral blur. No, actually… I also smell a little of that creamy, slightly waxy yellow floral from Qui Aime Bien Châtie Bien. Daffodil? Love it. And a tiny bit of vanilla. The carnation’s spice keeps this from getting too sweet.

This barely lasts two hours on me, and it goes soft quickly. But it’s a lovely spring scent.

This is my least favorite Pink Moon :( I envy anyone getting strawberries or sweetness from their bottle.

Goes on like men's shaving cream, intensely sharp and screechy white florals, and the weird, burning dust smell that you get when you turn on a heater for the first time after summer.
As it dries down, it's still soapy and sharply white floral, with a very hot and peppery carnation coming in.

It's very harsh and sharp with no creaminess or sweetness that I can discern.

Not playful or sweet, but very perfumey and cutting.

Fades into a sharp, perfumey white floral and harsh industrial soap.

Oh my goodness. I was afraid this would be too many flowers in one bottle for me, and I'm so happy to be wrong. It starts out with a burst of flowers--I think mostly honeyed peonies--and something like strawberry cotton candy. It's one of the foodier florals I've worn, and it absolutely does smell pink. Cotton candy pink. Funnily enough, while I've had almost all these flowers in my garden and can picture what they look like, I don't necessarily know what they smell like! Suffice to say that all the flowers in here form a harmonious, perfumey (and yes, rather heady) bouquet with just a hint of a green note at the base and honey and spun sugar sprinkled on top. Truly wonderful.

Edited by lizabelle

I really want to like this, but honey is not my friend. I think the floral-vanilla would be lovely if the honey weren't going strange on me.

There are some BPAL oils that seem to do better when applied heavily, and Pink Moon '17 seems to be one of those. I was unimpressed on first application, but reapplied and was able to get a better read on this scent.

Pink Moon '05 is my favorite of past blends (the only one I have not tried is the 2012 iteration). Pink Moon '05 is a beautiful balance of strawberry and mixed spring florals. Carnation is perhaps my favorite floral note, and while Pink Moon '07 has carnation in spades, to me it actually smells like an unimpressive, pale and thin carnation single note (I'm not really familiar with phlox, which may be why I don't detect it in '07).

This year's Pink Moon is as expected a pretty, pink, feminine floral. I am wary of the narcissus / daffodil family but thankfully can't pick them up in this blend or '05. It starts off as a bouquet of pink florals, but as it dries it becomes more and more about the gorgeous honey and carnation combo. Miss Lizzie was a recent favorite of mine, and I can't help but think of Pink Moon 2017 as her pretty younger sister. The carnation is still full-bodied and wonderfully sweet and spicy, but a tad fresher and more innocent than Lizzie.

The other notes (vanilla, strawberry, etc) don't stand out on my skin. But since I'm such a fanatic of this honey / carnation thing I'm totally fine with that, and so happy I have a bottle :wub2:

this one is pretty!

It's reminding me of Iulia from Carnival without the mint

It's floral dominant but I get the sweet and slightly tartness from the strawberries + something lending a creaminess...not sure maybe the vanilla

I could see this as an everyday perfume for spring and summer

Peony, carnation and phlox. This disappears into a mix of fresh, slightly sweet spring florals. Very springy, very girly. Good throw and wear length.

Having not tried any of the previous incarnations of Pink Moon (or necessarily been aware of them, I only got into bpal in late 2012), this is the first time I've been moved to buy a lunacy as soon as the lab has put it up. All those gorgeous spring florals, sugary sweet stuff AND strawberries? The thoughts of it all kind of sent me into a rose-coloured daze and before I knew it, I'd made an order.

In the bottle, damn that is PINK. So many pretty florals that my nose can't discern one from the other at this point, with a strong background of thick honey, and the slightest hint of something tart and green.

Once on my skin, I'm able to start making out some of the florals, mainly the spicy carnation and peony. I'm also getting a whisper of something waxy, which someone above guessed might be the daffodil, though I have exactly 0% experience with daffodil so idk. And all the while there is super sweet, pink cotton candy fighting for my attention. I guess pink sugar + honey + bourbon vanilla = cotton candy on my skin, and I ain't mad about it. At all. It is candy sweet on me, yes, but like, an expensive artisan floral candy, not childish at all. I love it! I don't get strawberry at any stage, which I am sad about, though it's entirely possible that it is there, just quietly adding to the pinkness. Medium throw and staying power.

I'm so happy that this turned out to be exactly what I imagined when I first read the notes; a very pink sugared floral. I'm so glad I have a bottle and I can definitely see myself reaching for it a lot in the coming spring/summer months!

I was craving something pink and springlike, so was quite excited when this moon came along! The original Pink Moon 05 is quite amazing, and I regret swapping it away back in the day, as I was a more fruity girl back then. This one is definitely a light, airy 'pink' floral. I'm getting the daffodils, florals, all backed by a 'good' lab honey, barely detectable. There's a bit of spiciness, like Stocks, if you've ever smelled them. So I think this is a keeper, probably in the spring months when I'm craving sunshine after a long winter.

Now that I read the description, I think it's the pink carnation that is giving this blend the slight spiciness. I'm hoping the pink sugar and strawberry come out in time, it would make this perfect.

eta: I have to be passing this one on, as sometimes strawberry does the bonne bell chapstick on me, and yup, there she goes.

Edited by milo

It smells very soapy/powdery in the imp, but never trust the imp/bottle scent lol. On my skin, I think I smell tulips and carnations the most out of the floral blends, and then a light touch of the honey and strawberries at the tail end.  It's a very nice light floral, not in-your-face, would work really well as a springtime perfume imo. Pretty lovely!

Edited by starryeyes
spelling