Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

In the imp: lavender and jasmine

On Skin: Jasmine BLOOM EXPLOSION! :D

On Drydown: The jasmine calms down, but she's pretty much centerstage here. The lavender skirts around the edges. No known honeysuckle presence yet.

Verdict: Bright and flowery jasmine. There's something very clean and cheery about this scent and I could see scenting soap with this. So far, this has been the 'purest' jasmine scent I've smelled in BPAL so far. I like jasmine and how it smells. Now I have to figure out if I want to smell like jasmine. :P

ooooo

this is like sitting outside in late spring after the sun has gone...its beautiful and reminds me of home.

Summer, sitting on the swing on the front porch, drinking lemonade. The sun is just below the horizon, the sky is a delicate lilac shade, and the fireflies have just come out to ornament the evening with their airy beauty. A gentle breeze goes across you, still warm, but with the touch of evening's coolness that you know is coming, and it carries a gentle scent, spicy with lavender, soft and sweet with jasmine and honeysuckle.

in the vial: Heno de Pravia colonia (which is a lemony, sea-breeze Spanish scent line)

on me: flowery (buds not blooms) and the previously mentioned Heno de Pravia

later: honeysuckle, lavender. Absolutely lovely for someone appreciative of florals. I am not that someone.

In the imp: Lavender and something yelow smelling - the honeysuckle, maybe?

Wet: Lavender, but not an overpowering aromatherapy lavender - a soft warm lavender. Mmm. Definitely relaxing.

Drying: It's got a bit of a powdery smell on me, but florals tend to do that to me. Also, my nose is doing something weird, so I might have to give this one another shot later on.

Final Verdict: Yeah, my nose is messed up. I'll try it again later.

Okay, my first "taste" of BPAL! I decided to start out with Twilight. I love honeysuckle, and I like lavender and jasmine. I wanted to see how they play together.

At first, the lavender is so assertive, it's almost piney. I can't smell much else, hope the other florals jump in soon.

When it dries, it's so nice. I smell the jasmine most strongly now, with a nice lavender under it. It's like a duet, with the lavender a grounding alto and the jasmine a light soprano. But where's the honeysuckle?!? Is it just too quiet behind all that jasmine?

I keep catching sniffs of myself and thinking, "ooh, that's nice." Relaxing, but not sleepy.

After about 3 hours, Twilight has faded, and I need a re-apply. I guess it's sort of like its namesake: transient and beautiful.

I just couldn't like this one. When I put it on, I felt like I smelled like a frumpy old woman. I think it's the lavender in this combination that turns me off. I love the smell of lavender on its own, just not on me! My mother, on the other hand, really liked it! I might recommend this scent to lovers of lavender.

Edited by MissNightshade

Frimp from the Lab in my latest order. I'm not a big fan of the Ars Moriendi blends, but I'll give it a go.

In the Imp: LAVENDER. Beth's lavender seems to be a little bit sharper and greener than other lavender notes, but it's not off-putting. Under that, JASMINE. Then.... honeysuckle. Bit floral for me, but hey, what did I expect?

Wet: Lavender and jasmine and just a touch of the juicy honeysuckle. This is simple and pretty and smells a bit like a floral soap scent without the soap. Kept from being too astringent and flowery by the sweetness of the honeysuckle.

Dry: The same. My summation of Twilight? Eh.

Verdict: Uh, no.

Yay for frimps!

In the bottle, Twilight reminds me of New Orleans, it must be the jasmine and honeysuckle which I always associate with the city. A touch of lavender rounds out the scent.

I sneeze a couple of times when I first put this on. Lavender always has that effect on me.

About 30 minutes later the jasmine and honeysuckle really come out to play. Overall it's a really light scent. I have to stick my wrist right up to my nose to smell it. It's really pretty.

In the vial all I could smell was lavender, and it was almost bitter, but seconds after applying it, the blends kicked in. The jasmine/honeysuckle scents take over, with just enough lavender to offset the sweetness a touch. I'm loving this enough that I'll probably need a bottle.

Unfortunalty all I got out of this is soap...yucky soap.

It SHOULD have been great. I LOVE jasmine and honeysuckle! Both plants are in my yard and when I have my windows open....ummmmm. I use lavendar EO in my laundry all the time...it really should have been a winner for me...

:rantrave:stupid skin

The reviews of this made it sound so pastoral and gorgeous that I was aching to give it a try.

In the bottle it smelled like pleasant light florals, a bit heavy on the jasmine and lavender (which is fine for me, I love jasmine). Then I made the crucial mistake: actually applying it to my skin.

The first couple of seconds were okay until the steep and evil downturn into The Land of Soap From Whence There Is No Return. Seriously, I smelled as if I had been rolling around in powdered laundry soap in my birthday suit - the soap smell was powerful and had an amazing amount of throw. Within minutes my nose was running, followed by several explosive sneezes.

I'm still scrubbing my arm with an alcohol swab. Apparently this one is really dependent on chemistry, at which I fail, again. To the swaps!

I usually avoid jasmine, because it overpowers everything. But in Twilight it doesn't. The blend of honeysuckle and lavender make the jasmine very gentle to the nose. I like it. I don't love it. But it is nice.

There are some people for whom lavender is a dealbreaker note. I'm not one of them. I like lavender. That being said, the BPAL lavender note and I do not always get along, particularly if the lavender is a main component of the blend.

In the imp, this smells like bitter lavender and something sickly sweet, kind of like Paris.

Wet on me, more of the same.

As it dries down, the lavender fades a little and the jasmine and honeysuckle can come out more -- it's nice at this stage, a warm honey-sweet floral. Unfortunately the lavender keeps poking back in and making it...weird. Sickly.

I do really like the jasmine and honeysuckle in this, but there are other blends with those flowers which behave better for me. I'll swap this one.

In bottle/imp: Wow, the lavender is strong in this one! And the jasmine follows shortly after.

Immediately on skin: Lavender, lavender, lavender. That seems to be showing up at first when I sniff. Then it transitions into an end note of jasmine…

After a few minutes: The lavender and jasmine seem well-balanced now. It’s a very clean floral, with the jasmine adding just a touch of softness. I don’t smell the honeysuckle at all though.

Later on: I smell the lavender as well as the jasmine, and a very sweet powdery note. It’s nice, but in my case not very unforgettable.

In imp, and on, wet: lavender, and nothing but.

Near drydown: lavender and jasmine, not playing well together.

Far drydown: Bathroom cleaner. Not for me.

A frimp from the Lab, this is not one I would have chosen for myself give all the sweet floral notes.

I wish I'd gotten some of the lavender ... anything to cut through the overpowering floraly sweetness. Straight from the imp, wet on the wrist, right through the drydown, Twilight was a one-note band on me and the band seemed to be playing "Lily of the Valley" all night long! (Must have been the honeysuckle.) Not for me given my body's ability to amp sweet to superhuman levels!

Sniffing the imp: Ack! Soap.

Wet on skin: Overpowering nasty lavender and jasmine combination that generates . . . Soap. Icky.

It actually dries to a rather pretty honeysuckle and jasmine combination with some lavender, perhaps, hanging out in the back. The name twilight is perfect for it. It's wispy, light. Sunset-like. Very nice. However, I don't *love* it enough to suffer the awful wet stages. :P

I'm surprised I like this so much, as I usually find jasmine really overpowering but this is lovely and light. Very pretty, however it does turn slightly powdery after a while.

I can't really smell any lavender, but the honey-suckle is lovely. I actually got this as a frimp and it really isn't something I would have chosen, but I love it!

Edit- After I'd worn this one a few times it started morphing into really strong KILLER JASMINE so I can't wear it anymore (or even sit next to someone wearing it) unless I want a headache :P

Edited by *Dani*

I don't usually like lavender, and I like jasmine even less. But I continue to at least try all BPAL oils because occasionally something that really shouldn't work on me does. Twilight, however, is not one of those. It smells pretty much exactly like lavender and jasmine.

Usually both lavender and jasmine amp unreasonably strong on me, so I thought by trying Twilight I'd be able to finally figure out which one is stronger because it would stomp on the other one. But, no. They continue to vex me. I can smell them both basically equally strongly.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Twilight is all lavender. It's very medicinal smelling. Dry, all I get is honeysuckle, not that I'm complaining. I don't think the jasmine is showing at all. It's a nice scent, definitely more for spring and summer. I'll keep it but I won't get a bottle.

In the vial: Holy cow, LAVENDERJASMINEOMG!

On the skin: I'm afraid to try this but yargh.... honeysuckle! :P I bet this would totally work for a relaxation treatment or something, but its overpowering lavenderjasminehoneysuckle kung pow kick hurts my nose.

I got this as a frimp in a swap. Looking at the notes, I’d have to say that it’s not something I would've picked out on my own, but sometimes those are the most fun.

I smell it, and I'm eight again! Let me explain:

When I was in grade school, an aunt gave me a perfume gift pack – four cute, etched glass bottles of single-note alcohol-based perfumes with those plastic "gold" tops. They came with a little mirrored display stand so you could feel grown-up putting them on your bureau or vanity table.

They were perfectly acceptable and age-appropriate scents. Really. One was rose, but the other three were… can you guess? Lavender, jasmine and honeysuckle. :P And, Lo, I did bathe in them, to the endless chagrin of my mother.

This isn't exactly like that combo, of course. I know BPAL uses more quality ingredients, but the effect is the same: a surge of familiarity, a floral toothache and then, a soapy finish.

So while this was a grin-inducing, nostalgic sniff, it's not a keeper for me.

Twilight

In vial, bitter, almost pungent. On skin, the lavender and jasmine are duking it out. These both tend to be very strong on their own and they are fighting for central attention. As it dries, they seem to accept their union and they mesh. The honeysuckle adds a note of fresh sweetness.

[3 - Like] I'm not sure that I like them blended, I generally prefer these as single note fragrances.