Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

First sniff: This one is very hard to pin down. A definite floral, with a high yellow note that has a bit of bite to it and almost makes my nose itch. I thought at first it was a very warm summer evening, but it cooled off a bit as I sniffed. September, maybe, just as the leaves are starting to turn.

Wearing: Caressingly warm, softer and darker on me than in the bottle, which is a good thing. Warm soft purple. My kinda floral. Over the course of the evening it upgraded itself from “just trying it on” to “definite keeper” to “must have more!” About halfway through work, four or five hours in, it developed an intriguing wet green smell around the flowers, like a garden in the rain. That stage didn't last long, but it was decidedly nice. After one wearing, it's gone on my favourites list.

This was one my sister got & she loves it. It's very pretty & most definitely a floral. I tried it on my wrist the other day & it was delicate-girly. I'd put it in the same category as Old New Orleans but it's not quite as sultry as that one, if you like Old New Orleans, then you'll like this as it'a a slighly lighter & more fragile version of that kind of floral blend. It made me think of a yellow-orange & pink sunset.

It is the scent of a gorgeous golden sunset, when the sun finally dips completely behind the mountains, on a beautiful summer night. The honeysuckle and jasmine remind me of my own childhood garden, and the lavender cools the perfume just enough to add a surreal, otherworldly quality to the scent.

Very floraly...the lavender, jasmine and honeysuckle blend so well together that I can't identify one in particular as being dominant...it reminds me of walking through a garden in the summer after a nice rain.

I am not sure exactly which one of the flowers it is, but one of them doesn't like me and is givine me a bad headache...this happened the first time I tried this particular scent too, so while I like it, I'm not going to be able to wear it. :P

When I was in college, I lived in a little house whose backyard sloped off into the local creek. The south side of the yard bordered a little old couple's property, and they had long ago planted honeysuckle to provide a little more privacy.

The honeysuckle, after 30 years, had completely taken over the fence, utility poles, and much of the treeline near the creek, and when the creek flooded up to the back step of our houses, as it did at least once every spring, the air was filled with the smell of honeysuckle, wood, and some pale tang from the rushing water. Twilight has just enough jasmine to round out this memory and make it more lush and a bit less sweet than the original, but I really do feel like I'm standing in knee-deep water and waving cars away from crossing the deceptively shallow-looking bridge at our corner, breathing in our annual "celebration of spring".

A little goes a long way with this one. I usually have issues with jasmine and ylang-ylang, but put such a tiny quantity of this on myself that I can wear it, bear it, and be smelled! :P

In The Bottle:

I smell lavander, but it's mingled with the suggestion of moisture. The corner of the garden where moss grows.

On My Skin:

Jasmine, with a hard edge. It's overpowering.

Later that day:

It's gone soapy on me. I smell like Thrills gum. I'll give it a try some other time to be sure, but I don't think this is for me.

At first is smelled very good but a bit powdery. Almost like a cool August night with the chill in the air makes everything smell fresh, a new.

So I gave it a try.

On the skin it turned into an overpowered lavender so much I got a headache, and I didn't apply much. After about 30 mins it went to an overpowering lavender baby powered.

I had to wash it off it was making my nose ich and my head hurt but once I washed it off the scent reminds me of my twin nieces lavender baby lotion.

I might give it another try before I decide to swap it or not.

I've been avoiding reviewing this because I wasn't really able to pin down my reaction to it. Initially I really wanted to order this with my first scent of imps (my email address is twilightxylia @ ..., and I've always had an affinity with the concept of twilight, not to mention the actual thing)... But since there were other scents that I wanted more, I didn't order it. But fortunately for me, Beth was an absolute sweetheart and included it as a freebie. I was so happy on discovering this I could have cried.

In the Bottle

When I first opened this up, I was immediate hit in the face with a really harsh chemical scent, which is odd since this isn't chemically at all. For the first several times I tried to smell it, it was the same thing, and so repulsive that I couldn't bring myself to wear it. Later on, I tried smelling it beyond that first blast, and was able to identify first the lavender (more of the aromatherapy lavender smell than the sweet perfumey imitations....since I used to have a lavender bush and used to make lavender wands from it, I'm used to a smell that neither of these scents really replicates), and only then was I able to catch a whiff of the jasmine. It is, as everyone else here says, a *very* yellow scent. When I first sniffed it, I didn't remember the ingredients, and the only thing I could think of besides chemical was yellow.

Wearing It

When I finally got myself to dab some of this on my skin, I wanted to scream as it was drying. I could smell the lavender and jasmine, but it still had this horrible chemical cleaner scent (the kind where they add cheap perfume to cover up the chemicals). As it dried down, the chemical scent started to die down, but I could still smell it a little. The honeysuckle gives this a sweet undertone, and I like it in there. As far as the lasting power of this scent, it lasts for a *long* time. Very strong scent.

And then I figured out why I was having such a bad reaction to this -- aromatherapy lavender tends to give me a horrid headache (so a bad association with the lavender), and I think that I'm actually allergic to the jasmine too. I'm not sure why I have such a bad reaction to the lavender aromatherapy stuff, but I'm definitely not allergic to real lavender.

So it's kinda a pity that this scent doesn't work for me, but I'm still overjoyed that Beth included this imp in my order, and even more happy that I got a chance to smell it. I've found that for the most part even BPAL scents that don't work for me still make me happy because I get the chance to experience them.

A strong floral, Twilight did not change too much from the vial to drydown.

With three of my favourite floral notes ever, I expected to like this a lot. Not only did I like it a lot, I was actually blown away by how precise this blend is. Like Blackrayne said, the three main notes are perfectly balanced, none overpowers the others. But they are not blended, they are juxtaposed with incredible precision and I can distinctly smell each one as a single note, wonderfully true to what the actual flower smells like. Spectacular.

In the bottle: Lavender. This was one of my original choices for a 'sleepytime' scent, as lavender's known for its rest-inducing qualities.

Wet: Every so often I catch a whiff of jasmine .. and jasmine and lavender should go really well together. but I'm afraid this blend isn't blending well with my chemistry. For every nice, lovely whiff I get two or three that are just sour and rotten. And I'm so horribly upset about that fact.

Wearing: I won't be wearing it for very long, sadly. It's not a scent I can stand to wear for long .. and that rather defeats the purpose I wanted it for. So I'll be passing this along to someone else.

I wanted to love this one oh so much because it has three of my all time favorite flowers in it. Lavender, jasmine, and honeysuckle

In the bottle: Lavender very lavender. With small wahfs of something underneath it. Just trying to come to the front but just can't.

On me the jasmine is starting to come out, butt he lavender is still the strongest thing. Until is starts to dry. As it drys the lavender takes a backseat to the jasmine and honeysuckle till even after my shower it's just a nice honeyed jasmine. Like the glowing sun setting on the ocean. I will so have to get a huge blottle of this.

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): The lavender is very prominent here. This is a very calming scent with an underlying sweetness.

Initial Dry (8:30-11:30am): Not much changes here. The lavender is still the most prominent scent, but the honeysuckle sweetens it as the jasmine warms it. This is an extremely calming, soothing scent. Very nice.

Throughout the Day (11:30am-4:30pm): The potency of the scent faded rather quickly. But, like Chimera, I still catch a whiff of warm sweetness every once in a while.

Overall: Enigmatic is right – this is definitely a keeper.

Twilight

This started off as beautiful lavender flowers on me and then gradually the jasmine appeared blending nicely with the lavender.

Once dry I could smell the honeysuckle as well. I can still pick out the individual flower notes which makes this feel as though I am moving through a garden and smelling the flowers as I pass.

I really liked this perfume a lot, but after about 30 minutes the jasmine went berserk (as it all too often does on my skin) and overpowered everything. Not for me sadly.

Edited by allamanda

Eh twilight ...

Ok through the bottle it was very strong . A little too strong . It smells like my aunt when she douses her body with to much perfume. As I put it on the strong soap like smell took over. I gave a very sour look at it . It reminds me of those little hotel soaps. I don't care for the smell at all. I'm not saying it's bad but it is defiant not for me. I got it as a swap but I'm going to put it back up for someone who can enjoy it .

I am in love with this scent...This past week I was on a Siren kick and all of a sudden I stumbled upon this one in my morning search for something to "wear." I had completely forgotten about it, but when I found it it won me over - I had to put it on right away. I'm not really a girly-girl, but this scent is definitely girly. It makes me feel very feminine and powdery. I like that feeling because it's so different from my personae I give out to people - I work at a karate dojo and so I kind of have a "hard" image so wearing this reminds me of my feminine side. It also is very calming to me what with the jasmine and lavender, which considering the anxiety I can sometimes have it's nice to sniff my wrists to relax me. I start back at college tomorrow after a short break so I will be sure to take my imp with me!

~eclecticaura~

ETA: My boy seems to really like it on me as well...first time I haven't had to put a scent up his nose and ask him for his opinion! So apparently this scent works for me...hmmm...maybe I CAN do florals...?! Also, I had my first "visionary" experience: As I was falling asleep the honeysuckle was wafting up to my nose (which I normally can't smell on it own) and I began to wake-dream of laying in a field full of long grass and honeysuckle in front of a small cobblestone house. Very comforting!

Edited by eclecticaura

Very Floral - in fact wet it smells like a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers. Lavender, Jasmine and Honeysuckle are my favorites - when I first applied I could really smell the the jasmine and the honeysuckle - it was really sweet. Maybe it's me but I could not smell much lavender. After it started drying down it smelled really creamy like lotion. I think I am going to keep this one for my bubble bath evenings. It is a very relaxing and soothing fragrance.

This scent is very floral. I love the honeysuckle and the lavender but the jasmine is bringing it down for me. It's probably because jasmine and I don't really agree.

Ah, but it does smell so nice and I'm going to give it another chance.

Edited by Shollin

Smells a lot like a combo of Airs oils to me. Either White Lace or China Moon, which are both exotic florals. This one lasts longer on me then any other one I have tried so far, but since I have bottles of White Lace and China Moon from Airs, I will once again savor the imp but not buy a bottle of it.

I have to be very careful when applying Twilight. Putting even the smidgen too much makes this perfume scarily loud on my skin, but putting a tiny touch is just right. It smells like a lovely "cool air" scent on me, but I don't think that I'll get a larger botle simply because I don't see myself wearing this all that often.

Twilight

I received this as a freebie in my most recent order.

in vial: I think I smell something smoky(?) along with jasmine and honeysuckle

wet: the lavender is in the background

dry: strong jasmine, with honeysuckle in the background...the lavender has faded away

verdict: this is a nice floral, but doesn't do too much for me. I will finish the imp but won't order a big bottle.

This one is interesting. I want to smell the Lavender, but it's just not coming out for me. I'm getting honeysuckle, which is very nice, and just a touch of jasmine. I think I need to try this one again. My chemistry is strange...some times of the month I can wear florals, other times spicey scents.

Hmmm....

Very, very odd. I may have to try it again, as I reacted VERY differently to this one.

Wet - Heavy, heavy musk, with a bitter edge (the lavender?) On me, it smells like ultra-cheap drugstore musk. It's wretched. I almost washed it off.

Drydown - WTF? It's going powdery. I have strange skin.

Fully dry - On my god - it smells exactly like my Great Aunt's guest bathroom. It took me a while to figure out why - it's gone soapy on me. Not bad - her guest bathroom had a variety of expensive and pretty soaps, all sorts of smells. It brought back childhood memories.

It's not a good perfume on me - it was fun to experience the morphing of the fragrance, though. The memories that came with it were amazingly vivid. I might hold onto it, just for that.

In the vial, the jasmine is very strong, and I got the sense of a hazy periwinkle color interspersed by the pale yellow floral. However, on me, this was almost all jasmine with a touch of honeysuckle. A gorgeous bouquet, but one that was a bit too strong and heavy for me to wear all day. I'm not a full-power floral gal, and so I wouldn't wear this often. However, it does have an otherworldly quality about it, and it is aesthetically beautiful. And it's a strong oil-- a little will last all day.

Wet this is mostly lavendar, but on it's mostly honeysuckle backed by jasmine. It's soft, sweet, very girly. It's a beautiful light purple scent of the twilight. Gorgeous.

In the bottle: Very green, herbal kind of smell. I imagine that must be the lavender, which leads me to believe that all the lavender incense and candles I have are lying about the scent of lavender. Oh well, I should have expected as much. I'm really not getting a sense for either the jasmine or the honeysuckle so they must be hiding. I know that the jasmine will come out to play once it hits my skin.

Wet: Hmmm, now it's a fight between the lavender and the honeysuckle. Jasmine will wait and rule after the other scents die out. She does that. Um...ew. I've smelled something like that before. Kinda like...plastic...plastic scented dolls. I don't think this lavender likes me. It smells like something is dying a truly painful death on my skin.

Dry down: On me this is stinky. There's a cloying, decaying smell in the background that I really wasn't expecting. I don't know if it's the combination of the scents or one of the scents on its own, but I've made this blend smell horrible.

Dry: Nasty. Nasty. No redeeming factors. Evil skin. This has to be put into the swap pile so i'm not declared a biohazard. Of course now I'll have to try more lavender blends just to see if that's the bad note on my skin or if it was the combination of the notes in this.