Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

I hate most florals, especially jasmine, and wet I just knew I was gonna hate this as I got a massive blast of sickly jasmine. I almost washed it off but I got distracted and didn't.

Then after an hour or so, something strange happened ... I sniffed my wrist again and I liked it :thud:
It's a beautifully melded floral, like sniffing a flower garden just after a summer rain shower, it's gorgeous.

I can't see many times when I'd wear it, not sure I have that sort of sophistication, I prefer my scents more down & dirty, but I will certainly use up my imp

Imp: Lavender. Not a very sweet kind. Seems a bit spicy.

Wet: A lot of lavender. Smells like the stuff I pick straight from the garden. Not very sweet, but not entirely herbal. It's a very pleasant note.There's something around the edges of it. The jasmine, I think. This reminds me of my mum's front garden on a hot summer's night.

The lavender is disappearing pretty quickly now.

Dry: Jasmine is in front now. I can barely smell the lavender, but it leaves a slight spiciness. There's an extra sweetness to it, which I gather is the honeysuckle.

I wish I could smell more of the lavender. It's mostly just a jasmine blend on me now. It's a note that thankfully works for me, but it's a bit simple and plain when I was expecting more from the wet and imp.

Edit: It's turned to pure soap. Bleh.

One for burning or a scent locket.

Edited by Saffrin

I have NEVER smelled jasmine or lavender in this particular combination. All three floral notes work SO well together that when I put it on, I could not figure out what I was smelling. I just knew it was awesome.

The drydown is quite wonderful. Through the day, I would catch a whiff of it and think, "Wow, this is special." Then again, I am a floral nut.

Wet on my skin: Very sharp lavender, which I took for neroli at first. I don't really get any jasmine and I sure don't get any honeysuckle.

Dry on skin: Soap, soap, and more soap. It tickles my nose to death.

After a little while: Turns to jasmine with some Ivory soap mixed in.

Verdict: Nope.

I get primarily jasmine and lavender, and a twinge of something sharp and sweet that later turns out to be honeysuckle. Unfortunately this veers too close to soap to warrant a bottle purchase, but it'd be nice to have my linens and laundry smell like this.

ITI: It smells like green stalks and jasmine. It's a bit too strong and acerbic.

Wet: It mellows out a bit when on skin, as the lavender calms down and the jasmine begins to amp up. Oh honeysuckle, where are you?

Dry: It dries down to something very strongly floral with mid tones of soap. This isn't for me.

I am completely and utterly puzzled that this would be my first review of Twilight. Waaaaay back when in early 2004, when I was turned on to the wonder that was BPAL, I remember spending hours -- literally hours -- reading over all of the scent descriptions and making notes so I could place my very first order of THREE 5 ML bottles, based strictly on the notes listed. The three I narrowed it down to were Envy, Veil and Twilight. While Envy was wonderful when wet, it didn't play nicely with my body chemistry when it dried down. Twilight and Veil, however, transported me to another wonderful world ... so much so that for the longest time I assumed I was a "floral" girl (of course, it turned out after hundreds upon hundreds more blends tested than I am more of a resin girl, but whatever).

So now, finally, nine years later, here is my first review of Twilight. I only have an imp now, one I got from the Lab. And yes, big bottles of Twilight AND Veil will be on my wish list for my next purchase (hoping to see if I can get hubby and daughter to combine for Mother's Day to give me a conceptual gift certificate to the Lab so I can buy a few new goodies).

IN THE IMP: I love how the lavender creeps out first and truly defines the name of the scent, that color of the sky during l'heure bleue, just as the honeysuckle and jasmine saunter out to join it.

Dabbed to one wrist and into the crook of one arm because it doesn't look like I have much left in this imp and want to make it last at least a few more weeks.

WET: To me, this is one of the most divine and evocative scents of the BPAL canon. Maybe that's because it (and Veil, which is not dissimilar) were my first two BPAL loves. I can see, I guess, why there are people who find it too too too floral or find jasmine gives them a headache or whatever. But for me, it is a three-way marriage of three of my VERY favorite floral scents and they co-exist perfectly on my skin.

OVERALL: I have decided that I simply have to have big bottles of this and Veil again. Harkening back to my beginnings. Sometimes a girl just has to feel floral and sensual and beautiful and that is how Twilight makes me feel. Even the WORD Twilight glimmers.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

First Sniff: It seemed only appropriate to try this one at actual twilight and it's straight up fresh jasmine.

Initial Wet Application: Lovely light jasmine, but I have a feeling this is going to fade quickly because it's so light as a scent already. Within the first few minutes it already seems to be going soapy which is unfortunate.

Beginning Dry Down (first 15 minutes) & Dry: I think the slight hint of lavender is mixing with the jasmine to make this be plasticky on me which is not pleasant. I want to like this as the husband really wants a honeysuckle scent for me, but so far I'm not impressed.

My Reaction: Florals just don't seem to want to work on my skin chemistry. After the initial dry down this was still light and plasticy jasmine and I just wasn't digging it. And how come the honeysuckle never showed up? Even after double application with the little wand this still fade into almost nothingness within the hour.

Rating: 1

In the imp: Lavender and honeysuckle....and something chemically alcoholic on first whiff. Doesn't quite seem like the jasmine. The chemical-ness isn't there on my second sniff, though.

Wet on skin: Heavy on the lavender, I'm getting more of the jasmine now, though I seem to have lost the honeysuckle.

Dried down: About the same, with lavender as the top note, and an occasional whiff of honeysuckle on the throw, though I have to say, something seems off about this scent on me. There's something very dry about it, like sand in the desert, which doesn't seem to mesh well with the sweet honeysuckle. The longer it stays on, the more I like it, but every time I get that dry whiff, it takes it down a notch.

Throw: I have no need to sniff my wrists to smell this floating around my head. It is a pretty scent.

Verdict: *** 1/* This is very pretty, but that dry/chemically note I got near the beginning was very off-putting. I think I'll keep the imp around for a second chance, at least, because I'm enjoying the scent a lot more now, but I'm still undecided about it.

In the imp: I smell the lavender, the jasmine, and even the honeysuckle, but it's bitter, in a way I wouldn't expect from any of those notes.

Wet on skin: Still weirdly bitter.

Dried down: Still bitter.

Throw: Very little, as bitter scents tend to on me.

Verdict: ** This isn't totally unpleasant, really, but it's not for me. But it's totally not what I expected from this blend. It's strange, as these notes work well for me in just about every other scent I've tried them in.

Had to try this 1 due to the jasmine, lavender and honeysuckle, all of them I love so much!

In imp- lots of lavender...no sweetness from the honeysuckle, wish it was a little sweeter...smells kind of lacking due to it

Wet on skin- no sweetness at all :( thought it would play nice but nope, the jasmines turning to floral soap on me...I'll see how it dries

Dry on skin- nope! No change it's a pure unknown mass produced floral soap on me :( will probably put in an oil burner but I'll not be wearing my imp

Wet: Equal parts lavender and jasmine, with just a touch of sweetness from the honeysuckle. Sleepy and purple-hued.

Drydown: As it dries the the jasmine takes over and it gradually becomes soapy.

Dry: Sleepy soap.

6.5 out of 10 bones

This starts out with A LOT of lavender and dries to an extremely feminine blend of jasmine and honeysuckle. Unfortunately, the jasmine in this isn't one I can wear, it has that band-aids/diaper thing going on. If you love delicate girly scents, this one is for you!

In the bottle, this is primarily lavender with a hint of jasmine and the soapy/powder of honeysuckle. Wet, it becomes lavender and honeysuckle, which smells herbal to me. No, thank you!

In the imp: Um, wow. This is lavender, but real, earthy lavender, straight out of the ground. There's also jasmine, but it's softer and father away. I may be feeling more kindly towards this than usual because, add in the scent of grass, rain, and slightly malodorous pets, and this IS the smell of my childhood home, which had an enormous and aggressive lavender bush out front that I adored, and a climbing jasmine plant that only bloomed for two weeks out of the year, but man, those were two beautiful weeks. No honeysuckle so far.

Wet: Right off the bat, I'm getting more honeysuckle and less lavender. I guess the amount of jasmine is technically about the same, but the lavender backing off means that it's more noticeable. Unfortunately, the honeysuckle quickly develops into a soapy note, as it is wont to do on me. Dammit, honeysuckle, just give me my lavender and jasmine already!

Dry: A surprisingly quick fade. It stays mostly honeysuckle soap all the way through, but a note of genuine jasmine does emerge after awhile. It's still soap-dominant, but the real jasmine makes me feel more kindly towards it.

In the imp: Exactly as described - so pretty! BPAL's lavender note sometimes goes overpowering & awful on me & the lavender seems to dominate here, so I am a little worried about that. As much as I love honeysuckle, it's never a strong note on me, so I never actually end up smelling like honeysuckle. I LOVE jasmine, but sometimes it goes a little soapy on me, so this perfume should be an interesting experiment!

Wet on skin: Mainly jasmine with a little honeysuckle & with lavender hanging out in the background, not dominating at all!

Dry on skin: HONEYSUCKLE! Oh my gosh! There's jasmine too & that's starting to go slightly soapy, but I don't even care because HONEYSUCKLE! I can't smell the lavender unless I'm really looking for it, which is unusual for me.

After a few hours: Honeysuckle is still the main note, supported by jasmine. The jasmine is still slightly soapy, but it's still a lovely smell - like an expensive soap.

Verdict: I'm sad that it does go a bit soapy, but I know that I'll still wear this a fair bit, because the honeysuckle note is just so lovely here!

Edited by JuliskaMarie

I thought I had already tried this, but I had it mixed up with the now-discontinued Midnight. I avoided Twilight because of the jasmine, but I have a frimp from the Lab and am curious. :)

In the vial: light golden color, pure lavender scent--the dry, spicy lavender of the fields, not the sweeter perfumey version

Wet on my skin: My skin amps jasmine, so that quickly overtakes the lavender. The two are fighting, not blending on me.

Dry: It's calmed down and reminds me of Somnus, a good lavender sleepy-time scent. But the jasmine makes it not my favorite.

In the imp: Jasmine and lavender like whoa.

Wet: A blast of lavender is the first thing to greet my nose when this is freshly applied, but the jasmine takes care to flaunt its presence shortly afterward. I do get the honeysuckle, but it really is just a touch of it (much to my dismay – I really love the Lab's honeysuckle note).

Then, as the scent begins to dry down, the honeysuckle note starts to emerge more. Huzzah!

Dry: Jasmine is the dominant note, followed by the lavender. I spoke too soon when I thought the honeysuckle was going to have a bigger role, because then the jasmine just decided to assert itself even more.

Verdict: I think this one would be a good sleep blend, as I find it rather relaxing, so I'll keep my imp. However, I won't need a bottle.

Jasmine, jasmine, jasmine. Funny that despite being a rose lover, I think of jasmine as "grandma," and this scent is just that. I don't really associate jasmine with delicate as far as florals go, but since I have increasingly grown fonder of florals as I got older, I thought I would give this a try. Nope. Just too jasmine. I don't detect the lavender, at all, though I can detect a touch of honeysuckle. This is a definite no for me. Fortunately, I only have an imp. (I have also learned my skin amps jasmine.)

I got this as a frimp and it definitely doesn't smell fresh or young. The only two scents I can really pick up are lavender (which I'm not particularly fond of) and baby powder. I'm really no good with florals, but this to me smells like an old lady, and it the best of chances maybe like dried down flowers (maybe jasmine and roses?).

Not for me. :(

The reviews of this vary so much!

I agree with the earlier person above me who said it smells like lavender and Ivory soap. I didn't find this soapy in the sense that is usually meant by that phrase, but it does smell just like a bar of drugstore soap now that I've read someone say that.

I really want to love this, but I think lavender might not be a scent i enjoy, and while I love jasmine and honeysuckle I can't really smell them. It's all lavender and soap for me. Though I do think there's a similar note to this as there is in Mata Hari (which I enjoy), so maybe that is jasmine I'm picking up and it just doesn't work for me in this blend. I'm going to give it to a friend who may like it more.

In the imp: Wet jasmine and honeysuckle.

Wet on my skin: Much the same as in the imp, with wet jasmine and honeysuckle. Just a hint of lavender. It's a bit soapy on me at this stage.

Dry: Ths smells very much like a fancy soap one of my friends made for me once, using essential oils that I'm pretty sure were almost the same as the oils in this. It's got some nice memories behind it! This is my first time with the Lab's honeysuckle note, and I think I'll have to try it again in another fragrance. Unfortunately, floral-only scents without something else to ground them or dirty them up just turn to soap on me, so this will probably have to be a room spray or a giveaway instead of a me-scent.

I've been wearing Twilight for about 5 hours now and the longer it is on, the more I like it. The jasmine is the lighter, more astringent version that the lab uses in some blends, and it plays nicely with the lavender. The honeysuckle adds just a hint of needed sweetness.

The overall effect is undeniably on the soapy side as others have noted, but I find that I don't really mind that much. The name is appropriate because there is something sleepy and soft about Twilight. I doubt it is bottle-worthy but I'm going to test it out as a sleep scent as most of the dedicated BPAL sleep blends are just too lavender forward for my taste.

Edited by joopjoop

Jasmine-honeysuckle is strongest on me at first, with a little lavender coloring the edges of the scent, and I think a little pale musk somewhere in the back. At first, this is OK...

After a moment, the jasmine pulls to the front, and starts to smell like a high-pitched whine; later it turns to soap, pulling the whole blend into "nope" territory.

Lavender can be a hard sell for me, I usually find it too sharp/astringent. In the imp and wet this reminds me a lot of Ode on Melancholy, just a subdued, dry lavender. The jasmine and honeysuckle aren't super prominent, but they are this gorgeous warm base that really sexes up the lavender. But it is all very subdued, and makes me think of the purplish fingers of the night sky reaching down after the sun sets.