Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

In the imp: Overpowering lavender.

Wet: Jasmine with strong lavender notes. Mysterious.

Dry: The honeysuckle comes out a bit and the jasmine and lavender mix into one angry scent.

Overall: Not my cup of tea. It would be lovely if only jasmine or only lavender were paired with honeysuckle or if honeysuckle was the main note. The jasmine and the lavender try to cancel each other out and it makes this blend into an overpowering smell that reeks. Edited by Shollin

I think I ordered this one mostly based on the name. I'm not entirely sure why. It's the first floral anything I've ordered because I typically hate the smell of anything that claims to be 'floral' as far as commercial scents go, but I thought maybe I would like real oil 'floral' smells better.

Turns out, I was wrong. This just gave me a headache.

This blend is so simple, but encapsulates the concept very well.

It starts out extremely herbal, almost all lavender. As the lavender settles and the other notes emerge, it becomes a soft, fuzzy, muted floral. The jasmine and honeysuckle are both soft, and the lavender is strong enough still to keep them from going to sweet. Together, the jasmine and honeysuckle do indeed provide a gentle glow. This scent is definitely the color of a pale ink sky fading to buttercup at the horizon. It reminds me a lot of Somnus, actually. It's very soothing and gentle, but relatively strong.

Little by little, the flowers and lavender become better balanced, so once totally dry, it is more perfume-like than panacea-like.

IN THE IMP: JASMINE. Followed by woody, cool lavender. No honeysuckle, as usual for me.

ON SKIN: Fresh, astringent lavender – smells more like the stalks than the foliage or blossoms to me – over the heavier jasmine. Still no honeysuckle, but it's surprisingly calming and refreshing, despite the jasmine. I wouldn't say that it's very pleasing, but it's not actively displeasing, either. This is going to be one of those blends that wibbles in and out of my "keep" box for a while without ever claiming a place there for certain. Hmm. Strong throw.

LATER: Jasmine becomes the dominant note, but manages not to be the headache-causing sort of blazing floral that it often is. This is more of a warm, shimmery yellow floral – still very potent, but not at all piercing, with the soft edge of lavender somewhere in the background to keep it fresh. A very summer evening-y scent, indeed.

I was planning to try this in my next order when I got it as a frimp!

In the bottle I smell at first a spicy/herby scent, but at second pass I smell the jasmine with the hint of yellow in the background.

Wet I am still getting the herby/antiseptic quality of the lavender over jasmine, rounded off by a warm, yellow tone.

This keeps threatening to go soapy on me between bouts of what I think of as the background of a stereotypical perfume [minus the headache]. As it dries, however, the honeysuckle warms up and comes to the fore.

Dry, the lavender is still refusing to play nice. The jasmine is so evocative of a cool, crisp evening, with the honeysuckle providing just the right crepuscular lighting, but the lavender is occasionally just short enough of being soapy that it's distracting.

This scent is the flavor of the floral Flavigny Pastilles before you reach the anise, if only they made honeysuckle. :P

Edited by Cereus

Eeeep! Jasmine, all jasmine, only jasmine... (but then, that's what jasmine does on me) ...and a headache (again, to be expected).

Thankfully, I have a mother who adores all things jasmine, honeysuckle, and lavender... I think this imp has her name all over it!

The jasmine was a predominant note on me, with the honeysuckle providing a sweetening influence on the astringency of the lavender. Very evocative of a French Quarter garden at dusk. I don't get a soapy vibe, but overall it's just to heady a floral for me.

In the imp, lavender and jasmine.

On me, wet, mostly lavender. This is fine, as I like lavender. Jasmine and I have had troubles before. I might be able to smell a little lilac, but the honeysuckle is MIA.

Drying, it is fairly heady. On me, it is mostly still lavender, with some lilac and jasmine. The honeysuckle still has not arrived.

Dry, the lavender is still on top(good), and the jasmine and lilac are still there, but only as backup. There might possibly be a small hint of honeysuckle hiding behind them. The scent as a whole has calmed down somewhat. It isn't as heady as it was, and seems to be more blended.

I will probably keep the imp, but, I don't know that I'll be ordering a bottle. Sometimes I am in the mood for lavender and between this and my imp of Love and Pain, I may be set.

In the vial: Sharp and sickly floral—lavandar and jasmine, I'd say.

On me: Less bitter, more herbal, but predominantly jasmine. I suspect the honeysuckle rises to balance out the lavender a bit; the lavender loses its sharpness and grows more like a powdery herb, a nice dry backing for the scent. But the jasmine is predominant—it's not unpleasant, just strong, and so this reminds me of every other scent with jasmine in it (specifically Nyx).

Verdict: Once it dries down, this is a pleasant scent: powdery herbal, slightly bright, starring well-rounded jasmine. Given how the jasmine amps, Twilight is surprisingly well-balanced. Unfortunately, I'm just not a big fan of jasmine—while it doesn't morph to anything strange, I don't want to wear it as a predominant note. And so I'll pass along this imp.

In the imp: Equally strong jasmine and honeysuckle. No hint of lavender. This actually smells wet.

On me, wet: Exactly the same as in the imp at first, but the honeysuckle emerges more as it dries.

On me, dry: Muted, perfect honeysuckle. Jasmine gives the honeysuckle depth. Still, not a bit of lavender! Or, it may be overpowered by the florals. This one started out wet smelling in the imp, and it ends smelling drier, sunnier. Which is so opposite of the name!

I really, really like this one but I'm not sure it's quite me. I'm undecided on a bottle.

vial - lavender EXPLOSION!!!

wet- URGH! lavender & BO! wtf?

later- sharp strident lavender & a little jasmine with BO around the edges.

wash off......

not for me <_<

Edited by butcherbaby

I don't know what it is, but this smells more like lilac to me than lavender. It smells like shrill laundry detergent floral...not obnoxious, just more meh. Not a winning combination for me, unless it keeps my whites whiter and fights static cling.

this is oh so wrong for me. bad bad jasmine, and it usually smells great on me. bad lavander also, the whole thing smells like some lux soap, but still a soap. :(

I don't have much luck with ars moriendi scents, everything I've tried went soapy on me. :(

Edited by milica

This one surprised me enough to inspire me to review. Why?

I did not purchase this one for myself because I know that I cannot wear florals. The girlier and more flowery something smells the worse it is on me. And when you combine lavender, jasmine, and honeysuckle, that is bound to be girly and flowery. However, my girlfriend forgot it at my apartment and, since it smelled like chlorine on her, told me to go ahead and try it and if I liked it I could keep it. Okay, I thought, this will be ugly, but why not? So I dabbed it on this morning before work.

In the vial: Holy crap that's a floral. That's possibly the most florally floral to ever floral. Well. Bottoms up.

Wet: Ugh. It sort of smells like rotting flowers at first. I would have washed it off immediately, but I was already late leaving so I resigned myself to smelling bad all day. It could be worse, and it might discourage snotty children from wiping their noses on my wrist for once...

Dry: ...well. Not even completely dry, and I was hit by this overwhelmingly gorgeous scent. It's not any of the notes separately, so far as I can tell... I know it doesn't smell like lavender or honeysuckle, and unless I am very badly mistaken on what jasmine smells like (which I don't think I am) it doesn't smell like that either. The notes just... blend to create something entirely different. Maybe I'm just reacting to the name, but it makes me think of a garden full of some kind of flower my grandmother used to grow that only blooms at dusk... I can't think of the name of it. It's a dark, wet floral that actually smells like... a flower. On me. What the hell?

It doesn't change much during the further drying and wearing down. At this point it's just a faded ghost of that same flower, a hint of something sweet and I definitely get the mysterious, ethereal feeling. It's just starting to really fade (so far as I can tell) after five hours of wear. I'm still not hugely a floral person, but this one? This one is good for those occasions where a floral is more appropriate than my typical scents.

...I must thank my girlfriend profusely for forgetting this.

*points above* Was the girlfriend that left this behind. Glad I did, because this scent? Does not work on me. At all.

In the imp: This smells overwhelmingly like the chlorine treatment we give our pool. That, and flowers. The honeysuckle is the strongest one I can detect.

On my skin: It fades out to a nice honeysuckle, but it's still not for me at all. The floral is accompanied by something... sharp and unpleasant.

In the vial - strong jasmine with a touch of the lavender, but I am not picking up the honeysuckle.

Wet and dry are about the same smell as in the vial.

I am wearing this currently at work, but I think it is more of an at home chilling kind of scent. Maybe a little too warm and cozy for work. It reminds me of one of those pillows you would put over your eyes to relax.

In the imp: Sharp, Floral Honeysuckle.

Wet On skin: Florals, I get that weird "pickle" thing I sometimes get from florals. It is surprisingly fresh however. The lavender comes forward and appears to be eating up the jasmine, tempering it a bit. I'm getting mostly lavender.

Drydown: There's the jasmine. Ready to give me a nice headache.

Overall: I can't do this one. It's too heavy on the flowers. It's not entirely unpleasant. Might be ok for a sleep blend when my boyfriend is not sleeping next to me. He would hate it.

I had such high hopes for this one as I love both lavender and jasmine But somehow this combination turns into a very angry floral on my skin, smelling similar to a heavy, very sharp rose. I hate rose. :sad:

I've been retesting a few things that formerly went awful on me since I quit hormonal birth control, and jasmine is one note I've noticed smells a lot better on me than it used to *shock*. Twilight is quite sweet due to the honeysuckle but the jasmine still dominates; however it's a lighter, more pleasant jasmine than I used to get from blends like this. Have I turned a corner?? I do get a light lavender from this as well. Very pleasant; I don't think I'd wear this regularly but it's nice enough.

Mostly jasmine and lavender. They don't sit comfortably against each other.The sweet and the astringent just don't mix nicely to me. It almost goes a bit stinky. All notes I love but apparently not at the same time.

Imp: Astringent & medicinal lavender

Wet: This is bad. Stinky bad. I'm this close to running to the sink and washing this off.

Drydown: I'm finally able to distinguish the stinky smell to the combo of lavender and jasmine. This was suffocating when it was wet. It calmed down a bit during the drydown, but it is not something I'd want near me. :ack: It is now waxy and soapy.

Overall: This was really bad on me. I was barely able to keep myself from washing it off before the drydown.