Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
JazzieCazzie

Dark Chocolate and Cocoa Cream Bath Oil

[No additional description given.]

There was no way in the world I was NOT going to buy a bottle of this, especially since I had held out on the entire BPAL Luper list (until today, when I finally caved and ordered a bottle of Initiation Sentimentale in faint hope that the white tea note might not overpower everything else in it, but I digress) ...

I'm a big fan of how the Lab and the Post works it chocolate/cocoa magic in its scents, and some of my very favorite products are cocoa/chocolate based (Gelt, Tezcatlipoca et al) but sometimes the "other" notes combined in the boxes of chocolate will scare me off.

When I saw just OG Dark Chocolate and Cocoa Cream I HAD to go for it! Yeah, yeah, cream can sometimes go icky sweet on me but if it's playing with chocolate, how bad could it be?

My faith paid off big time ... this is absolutely delicious and mesmerizingly so ...

A tiny bit sweeter in the bottle, once it's in the hot water it's just rich and complex and even ever-so-slightly spicy/herbal, unique enough that every delicious whiff is a treat!

There is SOMETHING I can't put my finger on that keeps it from just being a giant chocolate bunny in your face ... is it a spice? I'd almost have guessed this was Mexican chocolate if I hadn't seen the name of it (and while I don't want to call out another company, what it reminds me of a little bit is a lavender-and-chocolate combination someone makes which doesn't really smell like lavender at all but has a similarly mesmerizing chocolate-and-SOMETHING AWESOME smell).

Anyway ... if you like or love chocolate but fear it will be a little too too too sweet, do NOT fear that here ... it's sweet and spicy and evocatively SHMEXY as well. I will have to be careful to not just go through this big bottle in a week. Luckily, with the Post's bath oils, a little goes a long way.

This is AWESOME!!!

Wow, this smells almost exactly like the new formulation of Candy Butcher, right down to that faint herbal undertone. Which is exciting for me, as Candy Butcher stopped working with my skin chem this year, but this smells amazing on my skin. Not particularly sweet, but not bitter either, rich dark chocolate and cream, and that ineffable slightly green herbal thing Candy Butcher has too. Awesome.

First off, I love chocolate, so I had to try this. Secondly, it's not really a morpher. From cold sniff to the dry down, it's much like dark chocolate ground up to make hot/sipping chocolate, but without that dry powder smell one gets when one opens the tin. There's a richness that comes not only from the chocolate itself, but also from the cacao cream. The cream is not a milky note, but more like something that adds to the warmth and faint sweetness. To be sure, this is not a milk chocolate nor is it a bittersweet baking chocolate, just a nice dark chocolate.

Note: I use the bath oils as a moisturizer. I did roll the bottle because in the past there has been sludge in the bottom or floating bits, but I didn't perceive any of that, but rolled anyway. The oil is thin, but not too runny. I did use more on my arms than usual to get the same smoothness.

I am in love with this bath oil. Smells like gooey, dark chocolate brownies, melting chocolate, and hints of sweet, gooey caramel. It smells darker and sexier than milk chocolate, but not bitter at all. So warm, sweet, and decadent. I wish I had more of this one. I've been wearing it as an after-shower moisturizer and layering it with other gourmand scents.

Lump of Coal, is that you? I swear this sort of reminds me to Neil Gaiman's Dark Chocolate, but its fudgier, and I think that's where I think its more like Lump of Coal. If you ever wanted to bathe in a dark chocolate fudge brownie dusted with cocoa powder, now is your chance.

Oh man, made from the blackest of chocolate, I would swear I'd just whipped up a big bowl of dark double chocolate brownie batter and slathered it on my skin. Rich, gooey and fudgy, if your wish is to smell like the most decadent midnight dessert, you need this!