Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Allumina

Le Dessous de Cartes D’Une Partie de Whist

Absinthe, white clove, and patchouli.

Wish I had something more exciting than the first review! Wet, this is bright and juicy absinthe- it actually smells more to me like lemon/lime candy than licorice. It's pretty and refreshing. As it dries down a little, I get more of the anise. Sadly though, on drydown this fades quickly into a very soft skin scent. I think I'm getting some of the patch, but it's really hard to tell with it being so faint. This is a decant I received yesterday though, so I will wait a few days, try again, and update this review.

Herbal lemon candy with some anise. It's strong at first, but dries down to a subtle scent. The clove isn't much of a standout. The patchouli will probably be stronger with aging.

This one got an all-day test today, and it is another stunner from this update - the Lupers this year are shaping up to be a real wallet buster!

Wet this is a true absinthe scent, but a much more lemony and tart absinthe than the GC Absinthe (which is much more sugary to my nose).

As it starts to dry down the anise emerges and particularly in the throw it is a creamy, rich anise that I really love. When I sniff closely it is still lemony with a bit of bitterness from the wormwood and what I think is a touch of the white clove (I tend to amp clove, so I am relieved that white clove seems to be much more subtle).

Later this fades into a lovely light anise and skin scent with just a hint of the patchouli at the end. My hope is that the patchouli will take on a more central role as this blend ages.

This is the second blend from this update where I'm considering ordering multiple bottle. I can really see this one as a regular favorite. It's distinctive in a nice way and quite appropriate for daytime.

This is much fresher than I would have guessed from the notes--the absinthe is heavier on the mint and the anise than most BPAL absinthes. The clove and patch are soft and serve more to enhance the absinthe than anything. I like it, but since I already have the GC Absinthe and it has more throw on me I probably won't get a full bottle.

Anise, absinthe, and a touch of patchouli. The anise and patchouli are present on wet, but it dries down to an absinthey blend. Kinda wispy. Medium throw and wear length.

Wet: Lemon candy. Huh? I barely get any anise. No clove. No patch. Just sweet lemon. Confused!

Dry: Eventually I get some anise, but still mostly lemon. Sad, I really wanted clove and patchouli with a hint of anise!

In the wet stage: this smells like kabuki without the cherry note.

as it's drying: the candy-anise scent starts to fade into a soft citrus candy. It reminds me of an English candy shop

dry: it's almost disappeared from my skin. just occasional hints of absinthe.