Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Bassmastadroog

La Prostitution et la Folie Dominent le Monde

Sweet cream vanilla, white sugar, jasmine blossom, and a drop of star anise.

Wow. Opens up with a beautifully strong jasmine note, but the jasmine is tempered by vanilla and cream. An almost bubblegum like sweetness. It's really airy. The anise is creeping up from the bottom. It's sugary as well! Every note is displayed evenly here. For jasmine despisers, it is strong with this blend, but it's as if the petals are dipped in a sugary vanilla cream. This is Monsterbait: BiggerCritters without the grapefruit and with the lightest touch of sugary star anise instead. It's pretty and heady.

I've been incredibly lucky with BPAL's jasmine note lately, and the jasmine here is no exception - while heady, it's reined in by the most gorgeous, lush and sweet vanilla cream, and the anise (also not the best note for me) gives this just enough darkness to keep it from being too cloying. If you're worried about the jasmine, (or, hell, the anise) give this stuff a shot. This is SO beautiful! I think this will be a surprise hit for many, as it was for me.

~Prostitution and Madness Dominate the World~
I am MAD for this scent. JASMINE JASMINE and more nose-in-a-dewy blossom JASMINE when you first put it on, but the candy sugar mountain riding behind makes it okay. These blossoms are literally swimming in the sweet vanilla creaminess. This is NOT a gourmand scent, but it makes me CRAVE Jasmine Ice CREAM! Jasmine White Cake, a big bowl of Jasmine Frosting. Just gimme all the JASMINE YES!!! This is JASMINE STEKK I'm telling you. It also reminds me of last year's The Bride with a Jasmine focus instead of the Magnolia. It's so hypnotic and lovely with its perfect creaminess, I could see wearing this on the hottest summer night and still feeling elegant in the sultry bayou. I think this is a fragrance even Jasmine HATERS could wear. Stunning and one of my favorites of the lupers so far and as Jasmine blends go, a DREAM COME TRUE.
:eek:

Edited by Jenjin

I agree with Jenjin's comparison to The Bride. It immediately reminded me of The Bride, but with jasmine. I hate jasmine, but this is a soft, fresh jasmine that reminds me of the wild star jasmine that grows on porches all over the south. The non-foody vanilla keeps it from being screechy like some jasmine is. I'm not a floral fan AT ALL, but I love this and am glad I gambled on it. It's bottle-worthy for sure! I couldn't stop sniffing my arm.

I think the sweet creamy vanilla in this blend is very similar to the vanilla note in Mrs Valentine- both scents have a very similar vibe to me. they're not identical, but enough alike that a person that missed out on Mrs Valentine should surely get some of this in a flash!

I adore both, and for similar reasons, as they are light and very lightly floral but in a way that's not at all obvious. There's a sweetness here, but the vanilla isn't at all food-like. It smells like nostalgia to me, like wandering through the trunks in an attic and finding treasure troves of moth-eaten Victorian clothes. I put it on more than 7 hours ago and it's still here- faintly, but persistently. It's really special and I'm glad to add it to my collection.

I can't get enough of this scent. I generally do not like jasmine, but I am an avid foodie and I do like some of the softer jasmine blends. This jasmine note is soft and pretty and the vanilla makes it this creamy sugar that is just the right type for me to handle the jasmine here. I am really glad that I went out on a limb to try this. I'll probably be picking up a few more bottles, I was truly surprised by how great it was.

In the bottle: Whooph! Super vanilla frosting.

Wet on skin: Calmer vanilla frosting, with a hint of jasmine. The jasmine smells both soft and sharp, like it’s the bracing kind (I use really aggressive words to describe jasmine, but I mean them all in a good way), but is just waking up.

Drying down: There she is! Good morning, jasmine, sweetie. I notice her because I am looking for her, and because I love her, but she is in no way overpowering. I truly think (in this stage, at least) this could be a gateway scent for someone that is trying to learn to love jasmine. I’m not getting any anise, but I’m hoping after a few days of settling from the trip, the anise and jasmine will stand up to the creamy vanilla sugar a little bit. It’s definitely exquisite, but I want it to smell a little more dark queen and a little less like the maiden she’s trying to do away with.

Early dry: jasmine Love’s Philosophy. I think someone may have already said that, but I’m writing this in a word document, so I’m not looking at the other reviews right now to know for sure. Anyway, it’s true. It’s Love’s Philosophy, but with jasmine instead of saffron. It’s freaking divine. I still want the anise to show up, just because I deeply enjoy that note, but either way, this is going to be a keeper forrr sure.

Second day: the jasmine is the first thing I smell in the bottle now. Off to a good start!

Wet: MMMMMM. Creamy, vanilla jasmine. Like Sampaguita with a vanillic sweetness. I do get the subtlest suggestion of anise in the background.

----

DRYDOWN / FINAL VERDICT / SEVERAL STRAIGHT DAYS OF WEAR: This stuff is achingly beautiful. A classic example of why you can't judge a scent solely by its fresh-out-of-the-mail state. The sugary, creamy aspects have backed off significantly, so instead of cake batter with jasmine in it, it now smells like jasmine cream. In fact, I realized this afternoon it smells like the jasmine cream note from Peach VIII, isolated. Which is basically my dream scent. I love it so much.

Hmm on me this smells like Love's Philosophy with Jasmine instead of Saffron

And just like the saffron in LP the jasmine in this blend starts off it's strongest and then melds more with the vanilla and becomes softer

I get barely any star anise

lovely and I imagine it'll age wonderfully

edit: It's actually the vanilla cream from "Volcano in Springtime" that I'm getting...nothing else is similar though, so not a dupe

Edited by Spaztic

Almost every year I try another jasmine blend, hoping it will be like Venus Genetrix: the jasmine and vanilla blend I can actually wear because the vanilla keeps the jasmine in check.

La Prostitution et la Folie Dominent la Monde is not it. :sad:

In the decant, this is almost pure creamy, sweet vanilla. The comparison to frosting is apt. Within moments of being applied to my skin, boom! The jasmine comes forward and dominates everything. It is a very pure, true jasmine. I do get just a little bit of star anise when I touch my nose to my skin.

This is a beautiful blend. It’s for someone who truly loves jasmine, though. I was hoping for a sweet, creamy vanilla anise with just a touch of jasmine; what I got was jasmine with just a touch of everything else.

In the bottle: creamy jasmine

Wet: now it's vanilla-y jasmine, sweetness and a hint of anise.

Dry: a soft, vanilla jasmine, with just enough sugar and anise to soften.

This is delicate and sweet. Jasmine is one of my favorite flowers, but this is the first BPAL jasmine I think I can wear well. I think it will age well, too.

Edited by sunnyrain

La Prostitution et la Folie Dominent le Monde is right on the edge of being a bit too sweet for me, but there's something that keeps making me come back and test it again. I love the jasmine blossom and sweet cream vanilla together, reminding me a bit of 2014's Peach VIII amazing whipped jasmine cream note. Here, it also reminds me of gourmet springtime candy. The drop of star anise is welcome to cut the sweetness a bit and add depth to the flurry of cream, jasmine, and sugar.

I'm going to keep testing this one...lovely creamy scent for the jasmine-lovers out there, but might be a bit too much for me.

I have not much to say that already has not been said, this is a beautiful creamy, sugared jasmine with just a touch of anise that I'm actually digging here. It smells a lot like my beloved Selbstverliebt bath oil from the Post. I will need four thousand bottles.

This one is stunning! A seamless blend of jasmine and sweet creamy vanilla... so beautiful. Not really getting any star anise. I am not a huge jasmine lover, but I do like it. I have two other jasmine scents, they don't get a ton of wear either, so I thought I had my jasmine covered & wasn't really looking for a jasmine scent at all, but this is gorgeous, a total must-have!

Creamy vanilla jasmine has been in the sweet zone for me lately, as I recently picked up Peach VIII (2014) and now La Prostitution. Both are lovely.

La Prostitution has a softer jasmine than Peach VIII, reminding me of the jasmine from Winter Jasmine SN -- that softer jasmine family. Peach VIII had a likable but high-pitched jasmine for me, while this one shows a soft restraint. Peach VIII also gave more of a whipped cream impression with its cream note, while La Prostitution is a gentle, creamy swirl, and a bit sugared rather than peach flowery.

I get a hint of anise beginning in drydown and continuing through dry phase. It stays subtle on me.

Gorgeous.

Do you ever say to yourself, "Self, what is the most over-the-top, feminine and frilly scent you can imagine?"

And you ask yourself in reply, "Hmm, you mean lacy underpants frilly? Softly lit pastel colored macaroons, carefully arranged and heavily filtered on instagram girly? Marie Antoinette-would- approve feminine?"

"Not just Marie Antoinette," you rejoin, "But Kirsten Dunst in Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette - super feminine to the pink satin extreme - we're talking ROCOCO-level-5 -girly!"

"Wait I've got it! How about jasmine infused vanilla buttercream frosting!" you respond, because you know yourself so well. "What could fit the bill better than that?!"

"Yes! With a touch of anise to give it that truly indulgent European luxury patisserie feeling!"

"Wow! You're a genius - fortunately so is Beth at the lab. Here you go!" [pulls out decant of La Prostitution et la Folie Dominant le Monde and puts it on.]

and... scene!

-------

Postscript: Honestly, this one may just be a little too foody for me - the vanilla is very rich and heady and for the first couple of hours it swaps places with the jasmine every 10 or 15 minutes. It eventually smooths out and is a gorgeous scent as others have noted. I'm just not sure it is for me. However if jasmine-infused buttercream vanilla frosting appeals to you, then you should snap this one up!

Edited by joopjoop

Hahaha, I couldn't have said it better than the review above XD

This is ultra-sweet jasmine sugar, and upon drydown a bit of the anise comes forth and gives the blend a bit of an edge, which is nice, because it is veering on a little too frilly. BUT, that said, I love all things cute and frilly, so of course I also love this one. I can't imagine wearing it in an everyday setting, but probably when I wanted to feel uplifted and happy, or wear a really cute dress.

I am not a jasmine hater at all, so maybe for those who don't like jasmine, this won't work too well. But for jasmine lovers, this is perfect!

This one is just WAY too sweet for me. I agree with other reviewers that it mellows on the drydown, but the intensity of the sickly-sweet jasmine/vanilla first stage is just too much for me. What a shame, because the drydown is a lot more complex, but I couldn't make it all the way through when I did a full test leaving the house this morning.

Ok, ok. So I know I went on and on about Smut, saying it was the big hit of my Lupers. And Smut, you are gorgeous and sexy and I love you, I do. But Le Prostitution is BEAUTIFUL. I-want-to-wear-it-every-day-for-the-rest-of-my-life beautiful. Or at least every day this spring!

When first applied it is intense, sweet vanilla frosting but the calming and intoxicating Jasmine quickly makes itself known. For the the next 30 minutes the vanilla frosting and Jasmine take turns being the strongest note until it the Jasmine wins, staying a soft sweet flower on my wrist. The anise isn't identifiable but I'm sure that is what's bringing a slight edgy note that cuts through the sweetness a bit.

Heavenly smelling and exquisite, Le Prostitution is not, to me, a frilly girl perfume. Jasmine is a woman's scent, soft and sensual. Obviously, I love it!

This scent is so gorgeously sweet and sensual! It went on with strong vanilla and Anise notes on my skin then mellowed to sugared jasmine candies.

I loved this and hope to grab another bottle before it blips out!

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Jasmine is usually a winning note for me. None of the other notes are bad for me and I love me some vanilla.

In the Bottle: That's...really oddly interesting. I get the jasmine and the sweet sugary vanilla frosting side-by-side, with the anise coming in at the end of the sniff. The combo is oddly alcoholic...my mental image is of something sweet and creamy with an interesting exotic liqueur.

Wet: Very jasmine, some anise. The sweet creamy elements are lurking.

Drydown: Hm. This continues to tilt toward the jasmine end and the anise stays very strong. There's some vanilla in here as well, but it's definitely not going foodie on me.

Verdict: I may try it a couple more times. I am waffles right now. That anise is being annoyingly predominant.

Jasmine works either really, really well on my skin, or it turns into an astringent, sharp note that gives me a migraine. This jasmine worked exceptionally well, and I'm floored at how lovely this fragrance is.

On application, this is sweet, sugared vanilla and jasmine, melding into one beautiful, strong, single note. Wow. I wouldn't mind if it stayed this way for the entirety of its wear!

About ten minutes in, the anise comes out, and though I didn't think this could get more beautiful, it adds a bit of depth that would make someone tilt their head and say "Hmm, what's that?" LOVELY, lovely, lovely.

As it moves into its fading moments, the jasmine stays strong with a slightly smokey vanilla at this point. Anise seemingly bows out long before this point. I'm left with a tinge of jasmine to my skin before it disappears all together.

I'm probably going to get a bottle of this, and I'm not usually a floral girl. This one is too good to pass up.

I expected this to be sweeter, but it's mostly a clean, yellowy, soapy jasmine on my skin, with hints of the powdery/chalky vanilla that reminds me of Love's Philosophy. I get a little anise for the first couple seconds and then it's 90% clean jasmine and 10% powdery vanilla. The jasmine is slightly herbal & sharp, and very soapy. I was expecting a heavier, sweeter jasmine and a sweeter scent in general. This isn't really wearable for me.

Wow! This almost, but not quite, reads as a jasmine single note. There's something like burnt sugar in here that reads as an indolic tone (or, for those who hate jasmine, a poo/garbage note). I actually like indole unless it's overpowering so that's fine with me. The other notes lend the whole thing an extra creamy quality, and the anise is just barely there--enough for a touch of spice. I'm not sure I need a full bottle, but I'm definitely keeping this imp.

Yesyesyes. Beeeeeautiful jasmine. Got a "Waaaaaow!" from the man who hates floral perfumes. It smells like melted jasmine ice cream, if there ever was such a thing. I don't wear florals, you all. I want a gallon of this! It's indolic and so creamy and sweet! I had this jasmine oil in the 90s from Hawaii-it was almost coconutty it was so rich..THIS baby is the only jasmine LOVE I've had since; Defututa is a close 2nd, though, so check her out if you miss La Prostitution. It's not screechy or soapy...it's MAG-NI-FI-CIENT!!!! Yummy, springy, fresh, sweet, sexy, REAL FLOWERS, creamy deliciousness. More people should have skin that smells like this!

Edited by lookingglass

jasmine is hit or miss. fingers crossed that this one is a hit, because i love sugary/vanilla florals! right off it's a strong jasmine and the vanilla is right there. so far i'm loving it. after a few minutes the jasmine becomes more subtle and it's this gorgeous creamy vanilla jasmine. i have been waiting for a scent like this for spring and i'm so glad i found it! :heart:

Edited by theseagrows