Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Deep red roses stained by tobacco.

I have this on one arm and IMPORTUNE ME NO MORE on the other -- it's reeking of roses in here tonight and I couldn't be happier.

This is really exactly as it says in the description, no sneaky tricks. That doesn't make it any easier to describe, though.

In terms of really rose-y pefumes, the tobacco seems to deepen the note even further, it's almost bottomless.

In IMPORTUNE the roses actually have somewhere to hide eventually, behind those other flowers. Swathed in rich tobacco, the roses in LA PIERREUSE aren't going anywhere -- as they dry a bit, however, I do find that those deeper areas in the note end up just beyond my reach, and from a distance probably just reads as a freshly picked rose riding on a breeze of shisha. That's fine, I don't mind reapplying here and there to stay in that sublimely dark, close place with it.

So yeah, as a rose guy, I'm keeping a bottle of this on the shelf.

Pretty straightforward blend- dirty incensy roses with tobacco. Smells a tad cologne-y. It's the same church vibe rose/incense as Rose Cross, just dirtied down with tobacco!

Very dark red rose, less sweet than Peacock Queen. The tobacco blends really well. It dirties up the rose a bit, and adds a little chewy sweetness. It's a rich tobacco but it's not heavy. Absolutely in love with this rose.

I have tip toed around for hours trying to properly think about what this smells like and I think I finally got it down.

Like I said in my first impression. It has a very strong Gothic vibe to it and it's beautiful, truly beautiful. It's deep, dark, grounded, rich and mysterious. On the opening I personally get something that smells like burnt sugar, almost a maple sugar component and I even made my Mother smell it and she actually agreed with that.... I waited a little and went back to it and the burnt sugar thing was still there but not as dominant because I could definitely smell the roses coming through. Heavy, red roses deepened by chewy tobacco and a little bit of burning sugar.

That's what I smell. Like you took a bunch of tobacco leaves and dipped them in burnt sugar or rose sugar and then sprinkled on a little bit of heavy incense. I am in love :)

La Pierreuse is a beautiful rose and tobacco blend. Wet, I also get a sugar/maple syrup note that I wasn't expecting. But within a few minutes, that note is gone and it's just red roses, on the dry side rather than the dewy side, and a nice side note of tobacco. (I'm wondering if it might be Bulgarian Tobacco, since my bottle of that single note has a bit of sweetness to it.) It really is a rose-stained tobacco, as the rose is center stage and the tobacco note is a fine veneer on that rosy surface.

I love BPALs roses and try them all...there is always room for one more in my collection, and what this one brings to the table that's unique is the clarity of a dry red rose note and the perfect balance with tobacco. It's an uncomplicated pairing that still manages to smell complex and wonderful on the skin.

What can I add here — La Pierreuse is dark red roses soiled by a rich, chewy tobacco. But I also get a brown sugar-maple note such as what LiberAmoris mentions. It feels to me like a smoothing and blending influence between the roses and tobacco.

This is a heavy scent with moderate throw on me. It has a lot of depth in a way that reminds me of Peacock Queen. I feel like I’m sliding into a pit of dirty rose petals; I never quite reach the bottom, and the only way out is to stop inhaling.

I went back and forth about whether to get a decant of this, ended up cutting it, and then just bottling it later. I’m glad I did, as it will make a nice occasional alternative rose.

Strong, dark seriously soapy rose with a bitter tobacco tang upfront. I'm iffy on rose notes but wanted to try this for its gothic quality.
Yep, the rose remains super strong and soapy on me, and the tobacco is earthy and dirty which gives it a roses scattered on a muddy grave sort of feel. Very dry, any sweetness takes a backseat on me. This is definitely a boutique hipster rose, but it goes all soapy rose bubbles falling on grandpa's cigar dribbled molasses chew to my nose, but my rose nose is slightly broke ((weep))
I had my family take a sniff because I'm slightly befuddled by the outcome here. My daughter said brown sugar and flowers, while the hubs called it coffee cake with a cigar.

Edited by Jenjin

I respectfully have to disagree with Jenjin's review I personally get no soap no mud from this gorgeous gothic dark dark almost black rose. I initially thought it was similar to In Time Of Plague but after a couple of weeks, its become all its own. It makes me feel like I am in a dark mysterious night club and a young Marlene Dietrich walks by wearing a shimmering gold evening gown and winks at me on her way to onstage to sing. This is what I'd wear. I need a back up. And a hobby.

I snagged a decant of this, curious to see how it would compare to the Top from last year's lupers (and then also to in time of plague after reading about that comparison too!) it's honestly closer to dead leaves and tobacco, or the tobacco bonbon, in that it's the lab's rich and pretty french tobacco note with just a hint of rose. the rose comes on strongest when wet, and then fades on me as the scent dries. the end result is light, sweet tobacco with the ghost of a rosy floral memory.

Edited by annemathematics

I'm having a similar result as annemathematics.

My skin loves tobacco, so this ends up being a primarily tobacco blend for me. It's lighter than French tobacco and sweeter than Bulgarian tobacco. I get a hint of rose but I have to smell for it.

I suspect that the tobacco will age beautifully but I'm still sad that my skin doesn't give me more rose.

Wet: Kind of muddled - neither rose or tobacco are coming through clearly. It's...weird...on me.

Dry: Much better, It gets sweeter, and I can pick out a luscious rose note and a dry spicy tobacco note. I think, though I love both notes, I don't really love them together. I don't know why.

So odd! I wanted to LOVE this because Rose can be either hit or miss on me. In the decant I could smell the rose it's my first go round with tobacco though. Instantly the rose vanished and I was left with this odd sugary smell. My son said it smelled like pancake syrup and yeah...so odd.

A bit disappointed actually, I was hoping for a dark gothic rose scent but on me it's very very sweet, definitely a pink rose which I'm not too fond of, and I'm a massive rose fan! I definitely got strong whiffs of burnt sugar wet and dry it's just sweet syrup without any rose at all, very similar to verystarry's experience. Didn't get any tobacco and yet I normally amp tobacco so I'm not sure what happened here.

Red rose tobacco. Dark red roses, chewy tobacco. Just as advertised. Deeply sexy and sensual. Good throw and wear length.

Goodness, these reviews have been confusing due I am sure to our different skin chemistries! I did not blind bottle buy this before the Lupers came down because I did not need another rose scent. The reference to sweetness, Rose Red, pink roses, powder all helped me restrain myself.

Then I got my decant. GAH! I get the rich, thick tobacco with a whisper of rose. Perfection for a bpal tobacco junkie!!!

starts off with a very strong rose and a sweetish tobacco. the notes seem to be there in equal amounts, though as the scent dries down, the tobacco seems to bloom and get a little sweeter and stronger with the rose fading a bit. after awhile they are fairly equally balanced...i love both notes, and this is a deep red rose so i am really liking this one a lot.