Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White tobacco and apple, white musk and angelica, immortelle and terebinth, juniper and violet leaf.

Ok I hate to be the first one to review this but I guess something is better than nothing...

I put a little of this on without refreshing my memory of the notes and I went for a walk and I kept thinking "sweetened Christmas trees?" "sophisticated pine soap?" "this would be nice on a guy...". I couldn't figure out what I was smelling but it smelled kind of clean and herbal and pine forest-y. I guess I'm getting a lot of juniper and terebinth, and now that I see there is apple in it I can pick that up a bit too, along with a bit of clean white musk... not sure about the rest. It's nice. It has a winter-y feel to me.

Juniper in the bottle, which sours on application. This eventually sweetens into a chilly violet, continuing into cedar before it vanishes briefly before returning as powder.

Edited by Soupy Twist

Violet in the wooded mountains. The pine is upfront here, giving this a flowers-in-the-snow whiff.
It's medicinal and herbal in tone and the juniper pushes this into a bitter sour territory on my skin.

It's clean and herbal, but also takes on a harsh smoky note that I'm guessing might be the tobacco?
This one is WAY too harsh for me to wear, but I can see Evergreen/Violet lovers giving it a shot.

Edited by Jenjin

Despite not knowing what all of the notes smell like beforehand, I hat to blind bottle this. BPAL's apples haven't gone wrong on me yet, and the label art tickled me. Trying it now it's better than I hoped. It starts out with a crisp apple, much like the one in Poisoned Apple but not as short-lived (which is very much okay with me). I actually get no pine/juniper/cedar from this at all; instead it morphs into some kind of soft honeyed floral/musk/vanilla with apple acting like a base. Very well-mixed, so I can't really pick out individual notes, but this is a beautiful unusual spring scent.

I love Piper at the Gates of Dawn and decided that the terebinth pine was the the best part. When I saw La Dame Au Cochon had that element, I had to try in hopes that it was a feminine cousin of Piper. In the bottle its junioery apple. First applied it is more floral apple with a bit of pine. Dry the honey and musk come out to play and I couldn't love this more. This doesn't have the throw or wear length of Piper but it sure is lovely.

On application, my first thought was "toothpaste on flowers!" I hoped it would morph into something new immediately. Thankfully, it did! About five minutes in, it become more pine-y (unfortunately, that's a death note for me), and about five minutes later it had more of a what smelled like the Lab's "snow" note. Pine receded and out came apple and... coconut? Not the super sweet coconut flakes, but unsweetened condensed coconut creme. I have no idea where that's pulling from since it isn't a listed note. Maybe the tobacco and apple mix for a coconut scent to my nose? Thirty minutes in and it transitions into more of a musky violet where it stays for the rest of wear. As it lingers and floats into oblivion, it becomes a powdery coconut again. Throw's medium and wear-length lasts about five hours.

Violet, apple, angelica (hi absinthe!) and a touch of tobacco. On wet, I got more of a juniper touch. As it dries down and warms up, I get the angelica and the tobacco coming through. So like a violet version of absinthe but with tobacco. This one is a strange one for me. Good throw and wear length.

I got this as a decant from a Luper circle.

First Sniff Impression: Apple and juniper. Almost smells like a really nice, "organic" cleaning product? I'm getting Mrs. Meyers from this.

Wet in Vial: Maybe because it's settled now, I don't get as much juniper as before. The apple is also less obvious. It's a sort of lightly fruit, herbal blend.

Drying Down on Skin: I think I'm getting the juniper, though it's smelling less like actual juniper and more like that Bath and Body Works "Juniper Breeze" scent. I still think this smells somehow more like a nice cleaning product or detergent than perfume, at least on me. The apple is there, but it's very faint and green.

Dry on Skin: Dry, I think this actually smells like a deodorant I used to have or something? There's something to it that's very familiar, but in a commercial, boring way. I feel like the white musk is coming out and sort of smothering all the other notes. I can't see myself ever actually wearing this.

Conclusion: I feel like this scent would be good for someone who likes the commercially "musky" and "sexy" scents that Bath and Body Works or Victoria's Secret put out. For me it was interesting in the vial, but quickly turned into a heavy, almost powdery deodorant smell. It's not one I'm interested in trying again.

Wet: bitter. super tart green apple, and a hint of juniper. Something medicinal or astringent. Perhaps some tree sap. Or pine needles.

Dry: Definitely dry and piney. Apple and tobacco are hiding out since I seem to amp immortelle and juniper. Bummed this didn't work out for me.

This smells good. Another winner in the vein of Silver Phoenix for me. The Apple doesnt amp like it usually does, which is such a pleasant change. The notes that made me get this decant were the white musk, angelica, and violet leaf, so I think they are what really make it a winner for me too. The fresh airiness makes me wish for a bottle.