Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Mandrake root, broom straw, leather, cinnamon, fig, dark musk, and tonka.

All of these notes called to me, except the mandrake, so hoping it doesn't take over too much!

Wet: Mmm, this is pretty! I was expecting something kind of dark, but this is sweet hay, Tonka and fig. Hints of spice, but I would never identify it as cinnamon, which is great because cinnamon can be a bully note on my skin. The musk is there, but again I wouldn't have identified it as "dark" it's just a grounding presence in the background. This is different and I really like it so far.

Dry: The tonka in this is really great. I have a wax tart that's called "Tonka Suede". It's just a no-name brand, but it's my favourite. This kind of reminds me of that, with hay/straw added to it. It's warm and comforting. Hints of spice. But the Tonka, subtle leather and hay are the stars of this. This is going into the maybe pile for sure!

In the Bottle:

Tonka, musk and a very faint tint of cinnamon

On the Skin:

Surprisingly light and sweet. Mostly tonka and a sweet, light musk. The leather emerges gently soon after application.

On the Drydown:

This almost has a lemony vanilla vibe to it with slight cinnamon backdrop. The fig emerges eventually and that is when it becomes magical and almost gourmand. Close to the skin.

Fig, cinnamon, musk and a touch of tonka. This one is a manly sort of fig smelling cologne. And I really am sort of enjoying this. Will slather this on mr. zee_zee and see....

Interestingly, wet on skin this combination smells like what I imagine a single note of the Lab's pipe tobacco to smell like. I can't separate anything out at all. It simply smells like pipe tobacco. Huh.

Later, though, on drydown, it loses the single note feeling and has a bouquet of cinnamon, tonka, and fig. I get no leather at all throughout wear, and I'm not sure if the mandrake or broom straw comes out---I imagine broom straw would have a scent similar to hay (none of that) and mandrake to have... I don't even know what sort of scent, but I do know that it's said to be hallucinogenic and anticholinergic (take your choline, folks!), so probably some trippy-ass scent association with swirly-whirly purples, blues, and pinks, and I don't get any of that. :)

Ultimately, this one wont be a bottle buy, but it isn't bad.

This is much lighter and sweeter than I expected! I'd almost believe there's apple in here, but since it isn't that it may be the mandrake or fig. It's crisp and spicy green, reminiscent of green apples and the lab's hemlock note. There's definitely spice here, but it's cleaner and softer than I expected. I would never be able to pick cinnamon out of this if I wasn't told it was there, but I believe hay/straw, fig, and tonka. The leather in this is just a slight hint right at the base, adding a little darkness. I may have to get a bottle of this one, because I think it'll be amazing as it ages.

This is just a really nice, unobtrusive scent. Soft and brown musky hay. The leather and fig are more obvious on skin. On drydown, there's a bit of cinnamon kick, nothing overpowering. Unisex but tbh I bet this would smell amazing on a man.

Edited by bellumed