Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wendyb1063

Étude de Déshabillé

Black amber, 7-year aged patchouli, cashmeran, and tobacco leaf.

Dark, chewy, sexy, woodsy. The cashmeran keeps it from being "dirty", I think, and gives it bit of an elegant "clean" vibe. Good, strong, throw initially, and that peanut butter thing that patchouli sometimes does is only there for a brief moment. Not sweet.

I think I love this. I think you will too.

Edit: I'm wearing this again today, and after 5 hours, the patchouli is nearly gone; I mostly smell the cashmeran at this point, and it's a nice, classy, woody scent. The initial throw has disappeared, and this seems like more of a skin scent. Very unisex. I now know I love this.

Edited by wendyb1063

I mostly smell dark musk and cashmere. No kidding, it smells just like a sweater. I can understand this being called a clean or skin scent.

I thought the amber would smell more polished, but it's there in the background blending almost seamlessly with the patchouli and tobacco. The tobacco leaf must be providing a bit of extra woodiness.

There's something very old fashioned about this somehow even though it doesn't smell exactly like an old perfume. It reminds me of the smell of National Geographic magazines from the 50's and 60's. Hopefully that doesn't make anyone think that it's not sophisticated, because it is sophisticated.

In the Bottle:

Not sure how to describe this. Very lovely and inviting in the bottle. I think the cashmeran is throwing me off

On the Skin:

Such a beautiful and elegant scent, almost fruity but not. Deeply musky. The dryness of the black amber and patchouli emerge after a few minutes but never fully take over. The tobacco adds a husky edge. Just outstandingly elegant without being thin and sharp-edged.

On the Drydown:

Definitely drier but the cashmeran keeps it from becoming dirty. Becomes a little more animalic further into the drydown. A warm and elegant scent and sure to age well.

I almost got a blind bottle of this. My love-hate relationship with patchouli stopped me. Still excited to try my decant!

Wet: There's something almost fruity about this, which is confusing. The patchouli in this is dry and earthy, rather than gnarly. The amber is sweet, and I think that's where the fruitiness is coming from. It's quite nice, but I don't love it to far. I wish there was more tobacco.

Dry: I am just not loving this. Sometimes patchouli and I are awesome together, sometimes we're not. This is a time we're not. Smells a lot like a classic cologne, and it's just not for me. Glad I didn't go for the bottle.

Relaxed, yet sophisticated, this is very much like cuddling under a great big plaid blanket in the woods.
All the notes blending together swirl around into a pleasant and soft blend, the dry patchouli is upscale and elegant in tone while the tobacco swirls delicately around in soft sweetness.
Classic perfection, this is a versatile blend for anyone looking for a creamy, elegant and woodsy fragrance.
It is seriously LUXURIOUS and takes me to the perfect shingled house by the sea, reading my way through old books with wafting tobacco clouds filling my dreams. Very much like hugging your lover in a big soft, fluff of sweater and breathing in deep.

Dark, sexy, chewy tobacco with perfumey black amber. Skin scent, very gender neutral. I can see a guy wearing this though. Medium throw and wear length.

right off it's amber and patchouli and after a minute or two i think i sense the cashmeran and the patchouli beckons, getting stronger. i get some tobacco but mostly i'm getting patchouli and cashmeran which seems like an odd mix but kind of works. it's like a fancy, sophisticated patchouli. i am hit or miss with patch, but i am liking this one.

I usually find patchouli dominant scents to be calming or earthy...this has to be one of the first times I found it to be sexy, quietly sexy

I can't seem to pull the individual notes apart, they blend together on me

It wears close to the skin but the throw suits the scent...if that makes any sense!

I become more fond of this one each time I wear it

Sexy, smooth. The patchouli is very soft, tobacco is light (for which I am glad) and the cashmeran and amber are a perfect background for them both.

I can't wait to see how this ages.

Weeeeeird. This reminds me of being a young girl and hiding in the vintage fur coat section of my favorite antique shop-faded, once overwhelming, oriental perfume , faded powdery sweet...all enveloping...dark...soft...cozy...creepy.

Nooo! Wanted so much from this one, but it's not working.

The cashmeran and amber combo is very musky, powdery and perfumey. Makes me think of a sweater that's been dowsed in cologne and then left to sit in a closet for months.

Wanted something that was more woodsy with a hint of coziness, but this is too heavy and traditional.

I've liked other blends with a cashmere note: Autumn Overlooked, Unicorn and Ram. Even Hoiru, which didn't jive with me, didn't smell overpowering like this.

The combo is reading as old-fashioned and oppressive to me.

I was frimped this one and probably never would have looked at it otherwise, but I really enjoy it.

The patch is that good, funky variety that brings to mind sexy hippies and headshops, but given some lovely, spicy depth with the addition of the amber and tobacco. It has a lovely, dry, slightly vintage vibe to it; I totally get the "old sweater" feeling, but it's less of a specific scent and more a sense of what an upper-class woman flirting with the idea of being a hippie might have smelled like in the 70's. Earthy, but chic.

I'd spring for a full bottle, but unfortunately longevity is pretty short, maybe a couple of hours.

I agree this is chic and elegant, I just wanted to add I smell the ghost of a flower in this scent. I grabbed my decant and couldn't remember anything about it, put it on, and thought there was rose in it. Then I looked up the review and thought it was strange, there aren't any floral notes listed. Now I can still smell kind of an airy white floral floating around at the edges of the scent. Maybe it's the cashmeran playing tricks.

I do remember there was something borderline sour about it when I first got it, that aspect has smoothed out somewhat and I don't know what was doing that. I like it now.

I agree that there is a phantom flower in this! It is, however, mostly sexy patchouli and warm soft ambery cashmere. It is sweet, but well-behaved, and dark, but not heavy. An elegant, beautiful skin scent.

Given the notes, Etude de Deshabille should have been fabulous on me.  Instead, it was kind of meh for a while -- subdued patchouli, subdued amber, not much tobacco.  Then the primary note became...oudh?  There's no oudh in there, I know.  Cashmeran is not oudh, right?  I was expecting cashmere, something like the wooly note in Two Sheep and Two Goats, but something in here went indolic on my skin.  I was really excited for this one, and it just didn't work on me.