Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
galahad

À Un Dîner D’Athées

White lavender and ambrette seed, grey patchouli, rum absolute, and vetiver.

In the Bottle:
Rum and lavender with a faint ambrette whiff

On the Skin:
Rum and lavender. Almost cakey sweet. Ambrette always reads as grey to me so with the grey patchouli and white lavender this is definitely a muted (but strong) scent only warmed by the rum. The play of the rum and lavender together almost gives an anise vibe.

On the Drydown:
This has massive throw. It's not a happy scent but rahter broody and melancholy. The lavender is strong! and at times almost takes over but the rum always reins it back in. Eventually the vetiver creeps in and turns an already grey scent ashen. Masterful and lovely. A perfect winters day scent.

This is a winner! The lavender is sweet, the vetiver adds a petrichor type note to the blend, the other notes are smelling smooth and mellow in the blend. Such a beautiful scent. It's not floral to me. it's creamy, sweet, boozy, and VERY posh.

On application, it's light, airy lavender with vetiver anchoring it, grounding it. About five minutes in, the ambrette softens the vetiver, and grey musk comes out. As it dries, the notes mingle and entwine, leaving no room to disentangle them. I imagine the rum absolute give this a slightly spicy undertone, but not the usual cardamom and nutmeg scent the Lab does with spicy blends---there's just a slight pop to the scent that otherwise would not be there. The most prominent note to my nose is lavender and vetiver, but they're really tightly wound around the other in a yin-yang way. This is both light and dark, airy and earthy, and really very lovely.

A dark, chewy tobacco mixed with lavander and woody patch at first. This strikes me as very masculine.

The rum begins to come out on my skin, but it doesn't lend any sweetness. This still smells like man to me - well dressed, holding a tumbler of expensive rum, and harboring ill intentions I might like to join him in.

It begins to soften and smooth out, and I might really like this. I might be able to wear it too. I think it's a keeper!

Chewy tobacco, lavender, and rum. Oooh. This smells slightly pirate-y to me. Masculine, oozing danger. Yes. Good throw and wear length.

Next May I will be doing a lecture as Romaine Brooks, a cross-dressing lesbian artist of the 1920s who painted portraits which are restricted almost entirely to shades of gray. This may be her scent. White lavender. Gray patchouli and ambrette seed. Black vetiver. Elegant, unisex, utterly refined. Aloof, classical, secure in its own superiority. The rum and tobacco suggest the smoky, idea-filled salons of Left Bank intellectuals; the lavender and vetiver combined suggest femininity without sweetness. So glad to have gotten to try this one!