Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Bourbon vanilla and suede leather, tonka and patchouli, pale amber and blackened tea leaf, coconut husk and cashmere.

I have a decant of this, and I really need to hunt down a bottle. When I wear it, it puts me in mind of the soft kid gloves of a not-so-innocent young maiden, delicately scented with her skin and perfume. Light and lovely.

Hoiru is really lovely, but it's rather faint on me from the get-go, as if the cashmere has laid a woolly blanket over all the notes and is muting them. I get no tea and no patchouli, just mellow leather, coconut and bourbon vanilla. It actually lasts a long time -- I put some on last night before bed and a trace was still hanging on in the morning -- but with volume tuned way down. I wish my skin let this one shine a little more.

I bought a partial bottle, but never reviewed it. 2+ years later, Hoiru is a suede scent for the ages :lovestruck:.

On me, Hoiru is suede leather & mysterious wood.  Somehow, all the notes  (bourbon vanilla, tonka, patchouli, pale amber, blackened tea leaf, coconut husk & cashmere,) combine to produce a scent that seems like the most smooth & expensive Mysore sandalwood, plus oudh.

A keeper, for sure!

what a delicate beauty, unfolding in layers as it settles into the skin, each strata building atop the last until the final smell is a sum of all parts, completely entangled. 

it opens with the tea leaf, like a strong cup of tannin-rich tea, hinting at a little anise. behind that comes an incensey, powdery-dry light patchouli. then the amber uncurls, with a slightly vegetal tone like the amber in v'al hanissim. the cashmere and coconut husk arrive together, soft and wooly with a suggestion of vetiver and a little dry scratch of coconut husk. it blankets everything that came before, so that i can see the outlines of the other notes like shapes under a blanket, but without fine detail. this is where everything starts meshing together, the notes harmonizing in a way that makes them impossible to separate. 

when it stabilizes, what i find is something incensey, ambery, and wooly... unique and compelling while also being soft and and comfortable. wearing close to the skin, it's one of those scents that seems to soak in then gently exude from the pores. it's really beautiful, but doesn't announce itself too stridently. i will definitely hang onto this with my small stash of scents that i reach for when i'm looking for something beautiful and distinctive, but non-agressive. "work-safe" so to speak, but with plenty of flair and distinction. 

Edited by MamaMoth