Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Delightful Visitor Among the Haystacks

Chrysanthemum incense and red carnation.

In The Bottle: Whoa, hello chrysanthemum incense! Carnation, of course, lending its special, sweet spiciness to the mix!

Wet On Skin: The incense is definitely front and center. It reminds me quite a bit of the champa incense note, actually, even as it retains a hint of the mum-vibe. (also I accidentally got a little in my mouth when I was sniffing my finger. Don't eat it!!!)

Dry Down: A light incense, but still a stronger note just the same. The spice of the carnation is here, but precious little else of the sweet flower remains. I am hoping this will come around with some aging, but regardless, it's a great addition to any incense lover's collection. At worst, I will later with some of the Spanish Carnation SN when I want more of that red beauty in the mix! ;)

With so few notes I was curious to explore what complexity Beth had mixed in here. And it is surprisingly complex. I love both of these notes, and honestly they both shine. The Chrysanthemum note is like the Tea atmo from a few Halloween's ago I believe.

If I didn't know the name of this, I would have sworn it was Smut '10. Seriously. How is that possible? I don't smell any carnation, incense or chrysanthemums (and yes, I am very familiar with them) so??? I love it but it is nothing like what I was expecting and I'm confused. I checked it against Smut '17 and the viscosity is very different so I know it isn't a mislabled bottle. Oh well! I will put it next to my beloved Smut '10 and am happy to have it, even though it smells nothing like the notes listed. Sorry for the strange review!

ETA:

I received a decant of this today and yup, I definitely have a mislabeled bottle and will contact the Lab. After testing it alongside Delight in Disorder I figured out they are the same...easy to get the names confused, I guess.

The decant smells exactly how I imagined and lines up with the notes. Gorgeous fresh mum with a touch of incense and full, fresh carnation. Gorgeous.

Edited by Herb Girl

Love this one.

It’s chrysanthemum incense and red carnation on me, as the notes read. The chrysanthemum smells golden-orange to me and is the stronger of the flowers during the wet phase, and red carnation comes to the front as it dries, but both are present. I think this is incense is somewhere in the champa family, but it’s less strong than the flowers on me.

Wet: As promised - bright, spicy carnation and incensey chrysanthemum. I know it's not listed as a note, and it could just be the imagery of the name of the scent, but I do get the sense of late summer and hay bales and warm sunshine. Quite lovely, but it's gradually turning a bit bitter on my skin.

Dry: This just isn't made for my skin, sadly. It goes really bitter and stays that way for a while, then eventually turns to soap. Too bad, it was so promising, and sounded lovely.

At first this is a very strong incense, but it fades super quickly on me, and the whole blend becomes almost invisible - or unsniffable, or whatever you would call it :P I am getting a wee bit of carnation, but that is pretty much it. That makes me sad, since I would have loved a spicy chrysanthemum incense!

This is a lovely, soft carnation at first, with just a touch of a hay note. No chrysanthemum or incense is noticeable.

It fades quickly and after a few minutes is totally undetectable. This is by far the faintest/most delicate scent I have ever tested.

In the decant: oh that seems strong! More carnation I think than anything.

Wet: It's like SN: Spanish Red Carnation with something else that's faint, and it feels like it's fading fast.

Dry: Just like SN: Spanish Red Carnation, except maybe a bit lighter/fainter. I don't think this will last on me as well as the SN does.

I'm glad I got a decant of this, because it's horrible on me. All heavily smoky incense. I love chrysanthemum notes, but I get almost none out of this. The carnation is heavy and strong, whereas it normally gets swallowed up by other notes on me. The overall effect is heavy and overpowering, not at all a springy incense scent like I hoped. I'll pass it along to someone else.

Man, this lil guy seems to be different on everyone who tries it. For me, it's straight up Panther Moon when wet. Just pure Nag Champa. Dries down to a softer sweeter Panther Moon. I can't pick out the carnation at all.

This is *exactly* what I was hoping it would be: grown-up spicy floral! I love the carnation in Alice, but it reads so "young" with the milk notes that I think of it as a child's perfume. 'Mum Moon is one of my favorites, and I've always thought the two spice-florals, carnation and 'mum, were similar but just different enough to provide contrast. I'm honestly surprised they haven't met like this before! They blend perfectly into Super Spice Flower Power. :lol: I'm glad there are no other notes in there to distract from this power couple.

I wanted spicy carnation and warm incense, and this is not that. Overall this is a very plasticy, clean, cold, watery fragrance on my skin. It's like fresh, watery, white florals and green stems laying in a pool of water. I'm not getting anything like incense or carnation. It's very strong, but not what I was hoping for based on the notes.

In the Bottle:

A vague airy incense. Quite faint

On the Skin:

This takes a little while to warm up and take flight and when it does it doesn't really soar. I get very, very light carnation with a faint whiff of incense.

On the Drydown:

This gains some power as it dries down but still stays close to the skin. It's a light carnation incense. Reserving my judgment for the moment. Will see how it ages.

Edited by galahad

i finally got a reply from the Lab, and they shipped a replacement bottle of this in my most recent order. And it is obvious that i was previously shipped mislabelled bottles!

so anyone who got decants of this from me, i don't know what scent it is in the bottles they shipped, but it isn't this.

the bottles i had smelled like diet Smut - red musk but no sugar... and also no cherry like from the other similar scent Delight in Disorder. honestly in sniffing the little bit i have left, it smells a lot like Ill Omen from the Caesar update.

anyhow, this is mostly a PSA. and a bit of a review of what i have in a bottle labelled as Delightful Visitor Among the Haystacks.... even though it obviously isn't.

Spicy carnations and incense. This one is actually much more wearable than I anticipated. Medium throw and wear length.

Something in this blend reminds me of Snake Oil, Mme Moriarty, Snake Charmer. I'll bet they share a common note in the incense portion. Yes, it is incensy, along with not a lot of floral, but a sweetness, which I'm guessing is the mum, and/or carnation. I quite like this, and will probably use up the imp, not sure if it's a love though, but I would definitely take more if it landed on my lap..

What Laurel the Woodfairy says! (Except for the part where she disses Alice, which this Old Broad of BPAL finds young but not child-like.) Lots of spicy carnation and mum and just a veil of incense. It has some throw, which is rare on my OBB skin, and isn't super long lasting but doesn't disappear right away either. Love it!

Literally chrysanthemum incense. Like you would find at the gas station or head shop among all the other floral incenses. It has a "burned" quality like hot sun shining on hay. Interesting, but not for me.

on initial application it smells like shampoo and dirt. i am guessing i'm getting mostly chrysanthemum-it's floral and a bit sweet. shortly after that dirt-type note disappears and i am left with chrysanthemum and a hint of incense. there is a hint of spiciness from the carnation, but it's subtle. this is primarily chrysanthemum incense on me.

Really lovely.  Chrysanthemum has a distinctive, almost fresh water aquatic smell to it that I recognize from a previous Luper, "Flowering Chrysanthemums."  Kind of like a much lighter, sweeter version of marigold.  The incense is gentle and warm, like Japanese incense sticks.  It's understated but present.  The carnation is the sweeter, more floral variety, vs. the clovey smell I usually get.  Think "Maiden."  DVAH is a gentle floral incense smell that's got it's own vibe.  It also lasts a good while.  5 hours of wear and it's still going strong.  If you like incense, but prefer softer blends, this would be a good one to check out.  If you like florals, and want to try something different, this also worth checking out.  

In the decant: Incensey chrysanthemum and carnation, yup. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's mum and carnation. As it dries, the creamy carnation becomes the main note, accented by the spice of the chrysanthemum incense. This doesn't morph much on me but remains a delicate, incensey floral. It's a beautifully balanced scent that's both warm and elegant -- not too much incense or too much floral. 

It's a close skin scent on me, and that has me wondering about how often I'll find myself reaching for it. (I often want scents with more throw than this has on me.) That said, the style of this scent is right up my alley, so I think I'm going to hang onto this for a bit and see how it goes.