Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
JazzieCazzie

The Deluge of Blood

Then said Gangleri: What covenant was between them, or which was the stronger? And Hárr answered: The sons of Borr slew Ymir the giant; lo, where he fell there gushed forth so much blood out of his wounds that with it they drowned all the race of the Rime-Giants, save that one, whom giants call Bergelmir, escaped with his household; he went upon his ship, and his wife with him, and they were safe there. And from them are come the races of the Rime-Giants, as is said here:

Untold ages | ere earth was shapen,
Then was Bergelmir born;

That first I recall, | how the famous wise giant
On the deck of the ship was laid down.

A torrent of red musk, Dracaena draco, red pepper, black patchouli, nagarmotha, and red ginger.

First? Yikes!!!

I was on vacation, out of the country with limited cel data available when the Song of Creation collection was released ... there were many scents that intrigued me when I came back stateside and was online, but very few decant circles with openings (and the one for which I did try to get a few of the other scents I wanted was completely unresponsive) ... SO the one scent that I felt I needed to blind-bottle buy in case this was gone by the time I tried everything was this one ... every note I'd heard of was something I loved. The only one I was unfamiliar with was nagarmotha, which I read was something earthy.

I am SO glad I got this!!!!!

In the imp: The first thing that hit me is something that was, oddly enough, metallic but I couldn't place it and very fiery.

Applied to my wrist and in the crook of my arm.

WET: Hot hot fiery red hot red fire pepper spicy hot hot hot. But when I say hot (six times) I don't mean it burned upon application because it didn't. It just smelled like a thousand fires -- not smoky, just hot and red and ... well, you see my reaction. Also, this has HUGE throw when wet ... I got a face-full before I'd even recapped the bottle.

EARLY DRYDOWN: The odd metallic scent is/was, I THINK, the mysterious nagarmotha because as the "metallic" aspect of it evaporated it was replaced by a deep earthy wet note. NOT dirt, and not really green but rather that deep dark brown of wet earth ... even though you think of it as dirt it's really very clean, like the birth of new life to come from beneath the ground. (I'm also guessing the patchouli may be intermingled for that effect). That becomes, for me, the predominant scent for a little while, as the other hot fiery scents seem to join hands and circle the wet earth in a semicircle behind it ... they just blend beautifully into an absolutely gorgeous and complex mix.

LATE DRYDOWN: The wet earth remains, a subtle and unusual fragrance. The resins and musks are very notable and play beautifully together.

And finally the dragon's blood comes out at the end for me in a note that I once referred to, before I knew what it was, as "my comfort scent" or "my linen closet scent," referring to a hall closet in the apartment where I grew up where we kept all of our medical supplies, etc., and which had this devastatingly comforting and beautiful smell to me that I could not replicate but some dragon's blood blends DO.

This is totally huffworthy and a complete and total keeper. I love it!

Wet: Whoa! That's....something all right. The red ginger is such an angry note, it's like a punch in the face. Nose to skin, that's all I can smell right now, but the throw is sweeter and more balanced, and gives me hope.

Dry: Still overwhelming red ginger single note - so strong as to smell medicinal. Disappointing. Wondering if it needs to settle more or age a bit for the other notes to come out.

I think that Deluge of Blood is my favorite of the Song of Creation series. It's so heavy and over-the-top. I can smell red musk, dragon's blood, black, earthy, damp patchouli, and a sharp bite of spices, somehow all in equal measure. The nagarmotha is dark and earthy-woody, dusted over everything. It's almost resinous smelling to me (kind of like a not-as-sweet opoponax with a hint of opium and a woody, earthy character), and it makes me feel like I'm just falling into the fragrance.
Overall, this smells very aggressive, dark and intense. In a way, it really does smell bloody, and it sort of makes me want to get into a fight. It's like the fragrant equivalent of a mosh pit. On a good side, however, it makes me feel very strong when I wear it.
Black with streaks of blood red. Resinous, earthy, bloody, and so dark. There's just enough sweetness for this to be wearable for me.

I don't know if this review will be helpful, because I'm still processing this one myself, lol. I'd say if you like the idea of a spicy dragon's blood that's intensely dark and slightly sweetened with red musk, complex and brooding, then you should give Deluge of Blood a try.

Red musk, ginger, patchouli and pepper. This smells dusty, peppery, and spicy. It's a very dark oil. Medium throw and wear length.

Imp: Dragon's blood and pepper, with something dark and resinous lingering in the background. Reminds me of Starstruck Aries, but much murkier.

Skin: This stays dark and brooding, but the notes balance out more. I'm still getting lots of spice. Something smells like clove. This really does give off an impression of sweltering heat. It's ominous, and I can well imagine a sky covered in blood red storm clouds or thick, sticky waves of blood from this. The resins give it a nice rounded sweetness too though.

Overall, this is a thick, dark, spice and resin blend. I'm really enjoying that it doesn't have cinnamon though since that note usually takes over on me and is usually included in these kinds of blends. It think this would work nicely on a man. Those with sensitive skin might beware though. I am getting a bit of skin tingle, and I'm not testing on a delicate area.

ETA:  I don't know why I bothered with a review.  What Little Bird said.  Ditto ditto.  This has become the go to RPG scent for my redheaded, black dragon-scale armor wearing knight.  For your viewing pleasure
  Emeraude by VetchVespers on DeviantArt

Edited by VetchVesper

Sweet and spicy! The patchouli, pepper, and ginger are the most prominent on me. Definitely reminds me of dragon's blood (just in general, I have yet to try the Lab's version). Throw is on the low side, unfortunately. Weirdly, as it's starting to fade it smells just slightly like bubblegum. I have no idea what note is causing that with my skin chemistry, but as a bubblegum lover I can't complain.

I didn't expect me to enjoy this as much as I have. If you're looking for a somewhat similar scent, I recommend Woman As Dragon which has a stronger spice to it in my opinion.