Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sugared patchouli.

Sniffing the bottle, it is a sweet patchouli... almost boozy. Applied wet, same thing, but a little sweeter and spicier. I think I smell lemon very faintly? Maybe wax? A half hour later, it's more of a sweet, smokey patchouli. Very lovely. I have never smelled the hair gloss, so I cannot compare this to that.

(This is straight out of the mail, and my nose has a tendency to read 'dark and dirty' scents as fairly clean, so please take this review with a grain of salt.)

So on my skin, this is oddly fruitier than I was anticipating--it's quite sweet and bright for a few minutes until it starts to dry, and it's got a bit of a juicy pop to it over the patchouli. I definitely see where the 'maybe lemon' comes from for Janel, and I concur. From further away, I don't get that fruity lemon note at all--that note stays pretty close to the skin, and the throw is all sugary patch with juuuuuust a hint of something darker and smokier, but more of an aromatic smoke than campfire. I hit kind of a wall with this scent somewhere in the base notes, and I can't really figure out how to describe it better. It's quite pretty, but unless that weird vegetal bluntness wears off, I'm not sure this will be staying with me. I'll update if my opinion on this changes.

ETA: I still don't love the close to skin notes entirely, even though they've improved, but the throw on this is divine. This is a scent that's going to get you compliments for sure.

Edited by MischiefofRats

In the bottle, it smells so delicious--almost like dark chocolate, but not so dry. Sweet and dark.

Wet on my skin, it is immediately completely different. Piercingly sharp with an undertone of soil. It hit me right between the eyes. It's like the sugar just flew away on contact, leaving only the patchouli.

Dry was about the same, until I finally washed it off, worried that its strength was overwhelming and that it would give me a headache. It didn't fully wash away with one rinse, though, and it has left a trace of cotton-candy sugar in its wake.

I bought this in a weird frenzy of being online at the time the sale started, being weary of having things I had been tempted to buy becoming so popular that they became inaccessible, and wanting, for some reason, all things patchouli, in the right blend. I am not sure this is the right blend for my personal skin, though. I am going to try it again at another point in my lunar month and see if it saves some of that deliciousness it has in the bottle for wearing.

ETA: Another reason I bought this was for the art on the label. It sounds like adding frivolity to frivolity but I love Aaron Horkey's text art and I think this is my favorite example of it so far. It's just perfect.

Edited by blackdove

Well then.

So I've just discovered a new-found love for patchouli scents (changing chemistry due to age and past pregnancies maybe?), and was REALLY excited to try this one. I've never tried the hair gloss, so I can't compare it to that.

BUT. I love this. LOOOOOOVE this. I can see where it seems a bit fruity, though that stage doesn't last long. It's a very sweet patchouli on me, with a bit of the earthiness. It's a bit strong to my nose if I bring my arm up to smell it, but the throw on it is fantastic.

Something in it reminds me of my mom's tomato pincushions when I was a kid, and the smell of her sewing room. So to me this is new age shop combined with mom's sewing room. I think I'll be getting a LOT of use out of this one!

starts out with earthy patchouli and a sweet lemony thing going on. Sometimes the Lab's sugar smells like lemon on me and I guess this is one of those times.

As Silky Bat starts to dry down I get faint hints of chocolate.

Once dry, the lemon scent has burnt off leaving a sweet, smooth patchouli with chocolate nuances.

Very nice!

I’m the odd woman out and didn’t like this blend. In the bottle it smells like sweetened patchouli fairy floss, which is great. But once it got on my skin the lemony note came forward and turned it into a weird, patchouli-lemon cleaner.

Worse still, there’s a muskiness in the background that drags it all down and makes me think of muddy, dirty fur. I guess the fuzziness is good for evoking the “bat” aspect, but it felt like the poor little guy got dragged through lemon Lysol and funky twigs. :lol:

Not for me, but I’m glad I got to share it with others who have more cooperative skin chemistry.

Hmm, I'm kind of surprised I like this, as I was rather 'meh', about this hair gloss, which I did keep. It's a lighter patchouli, not that strong, and sweetened by a soft vanilla. I would liken this to Banshee Beat, kind of like a 2nd cousin, and it seems like a softer patchouli to me. I think I need to hunt down a bottle. Thanks to a facebook groupie who split up her bottle that didn't work, much appreciated:)

eta: Balame describes this as patchouli fairy floss, which is pretty fitting. On me at least.

Edited by milo

Just like the hair gloss, I get a lot of lemon out of Silkybat perfume. Sugary patchouli is actually more evident in this, in the HG, I find the lemon takes over.

I find a lot of patchouli scents somewhat overbearing, and while I love them, they can be hard to wear. I feel like this is totally wearable. I could likely even get away with wearing it to work, as it's simply not identifiable as a "hippie patchouli" perfume. It reminds me a bit of Banshee Beat in that respect, only with sweet lemon instead of sweet vanilla, but it's that kind of round, sweet, "woody instead of dirty" patchouli note.

I got this mostly because I didn't want Lydia to ride alone, and I needed to justify the shipping, but I find I quite like it, and can see wearing it in warmer months.

Hit of citrus when you first apply, and then I get sweet vanilla and it dries down to a sweet, woody patchouli note. I mean, Silkybat is beautiful but its not a blend that I'd actually wear much. I think you can find things absolutely stunning and realize that they aren't quite your style.

I'm sure this bottle will find a loving home.

Omggggg. I FINALLY got my hands on a bottle of Silkybat! Once upon a time I had a decant of the hair gloss, and it was long gone. I had missed it so, but always missed out since bottles flew so fast when bottles were stocked on the website. Thanks to a good friend and wonderful forumite, my Silkybat dream has come true and I now own a bottle. <3

It is SO FREAKING AMAZING. To my nose, it's an almost caramelized spun sugar with the most gorgeous patchouli underneath. I'm in Looooooove.

This is going to get so much wear this Autumn and Winter. It's wonderfully cozy and unlike anything else I own. It ticks both the gourmand and earthy patchouli boxes, which is so unique. It's utterly huffable. Silkybat is full of major win.

Exactly as described! I love this and wish I had the hair gloss too, since I keep putting this in my hair so I can huff it all day. It is one of my favorite scents, hands down, and is going to be a staple if I can continue to keep on top of the releases! Almost halfway through, and I bought it in June! LOVE it.

2020 update: This IS a gateway patchouli scent. It is really similar to Revenant Rhythm, but sweeter with an almost lemon candy/spun sugar, not burnt sugar. I still adore this as much as I did three years ago. 

Edited by Madame Mew

This has become my "signature scent" I suppose, in the sense that when I wear it, all my co-workers say "Oh, Cassandra is here!" ... I love this one so much. I was able to get a bottle from the Bloodmilk site, then I scored another half bottle on the Madness FB page. I don't get the lemon from this that other people smell, although my boyfriend did, so there's that... I get a lovely patchouli, with sweetness I can't put my finger on, and maybe the smell of pure vanilla extract... that alcoholic vanilla smell. I adore this scent with all my heart.

Soooo good!!!:wub:

like others have mentioned, the sugar aspect starts out a bit citrusy, but it's delectable with the earthy patchouli. The citrus goes away pretty quickly. The sweet patchouli that remains makes me so happy. Close to Ask the Nearest Hippie, but fancier- a refined hippie. 

After i I had been wearing it for a while, I did some saging of the house and now I want a sugared patchouli and sage smoke scent... omnomnom *drools*

Edited by artisjok

I was swapping for a less-full bottle, so my partner threw in a decant of Silkybat.  It is all that.  Sugared patchouli goodness that flirts with gnarliness but never gets all the way there -- this might be a gateway patchouli for people who are on the fence about it.  Better throw than I get with most oils, and it lasts and lasts.  Kind of like Berliner Dom Antics without the gingerbread.  I love this!

Managed to acquire a BNNU in the original box (1st release) from a seller on the Madness page, which was so thrilling as I'd snagged the HG from someone earlier in the year but it got lost in the mail 😭 So I figured it would be stupid of me not to pass up on the oil. This scent has skyrocketed to the favourite slot in my BPAL collection.  

In the bottle: Patchouli and slightly boozy 

Wet on skin: Patchouli and lemon, the lemon disappears immediately and is replaced by the most amazing cotton candy/burnt caramel sugar/booze scent I have ever encountered. I do no have words for how amazing it is; but my partner did! As he comes in from a smoke he remarks "It smells really good in here...like a sex cave!" And I will take that as a win lol 

Dried down after forty five minutes: Patchouli and burnt caramel booze 

I can't wait to see how this wears throughout the day, this is the crown jewel in my BPAL collection

I have Silkybat hair gloss and love it so much that I bought a backup bottle of the original at the time it was live in the Trading Post, so I knew I needed at least one bottle of the perfume. I love that sugary patchouli blend so much that I also have bottles of Pumpkin Spice Silkybat and Frosty Silkybat hair glosses.

I stalked the Bloodmilk site every time there was an update, but always just missed it. I was finally able to get a bottle in a swap for my backup of Krampus Lace. High price to pay, given the rarity and demand of KL, but well worth it to me to finally have Silkybat. Besides, I refuse to profit off Beth's hard work. 

So, Silkybat perfume is exactly what I had hoped. It matches the hair gloss and is all sweet sugary patchouli on me. I don't get the lemon/citrus from the sugar that others mention, more of a sweet white sugar. No matter, this is divine and I am so happy to be able to wear it with my hair gloss. 

I was so happy to get a bottle of this during the last restock at Bloodmilk. I can see why its so loved.

Out of the bottle I get patchouli and a hint of sugared lemon.

Freshly applied the lemon sugar swirls around the patchouli with an almost chocolate like note. These notes are light and complimentary to the patchouli, but fade rather quickly.

As Silkybat dries, it becomes a true sugared patchouli. So simple and so beautifully done. Pretty good throw but I can also see slathering this because its just delicious. I wore it to bed and was completely comforted by it, but could even see getting away with this patchouli at the office.

From the 2021 Bloodmilk restock:

Sweet spun sugar dragged through sweet, ethereal patchouli. Not a dirty, earthy patch at all. 

I don't detect any lemon or chocolate notes. This sugar note is calm, not of the screechy variety. It's not harsh, and it's somewhat linear (not in a bad way). It's exactly what the scent notes promises! 

Nice throw, nice wear. Makes me feel like a goth princess! 😈🖤💕

Mine is also from the 2021 Bloodmilk restock. This is a lovely patch gourmand. Aged patchouli must be used in this as it doesn't read "green" like most patch does on my skin. It manages to be cozy and lewd at the same time.

The only downside for me is that my skin eats this up. Hopefully aging will fix that issue.

I never thought of myself as a patchouli person, but BPAL has changed my mind! Silky Bat is my favorite patch scent thus far (and that includes BB/RR, which is also wonderful, but SB is just a bit more my jam for whatever reason). It's smooth, sugared, almost forest-y patchouli and it lasts forever on my skin. Makes me feel more confident/extroverted than I actually am. I adore it.

For me, this is patchouli-lite, and surprisingly soft and pretty. The sugar sweetness reads as very ‘pink’ on me - like bubblegum pink, which is an unusual partner for patchouli! 

I think this would be perfect for anyone who finds patchouli a bit too much or too “hippie” etc, but I love a luscious old patch so Silky Bat is lacking that oomph for me - however; I feel it’s unfair to compare this with things like Banshee Beat because clearly this was never designed to punch you in the face with gnarly patchouli richness - the two are completely different. 

Silky Bat is quite lovely in its own right, and a very pretty patchouli that I’m very happy to have in my collection. 

This is a super rich and pretty patchouli- I personally do think it is rather intense. The throw is crazy! (Which I love!)

Sometimes patchouli can go rubbery on my skin and that doesn't happen at all here. It's pretty simple, and I think that if you are looking for a dupe for Revenant Rhythm, this is probably the closest I have found to it. It just doesn't have that extra grassy/earthy/dusty kick from the hemp. 

It's a simple blend that doesn't feel one-note. I wear it all the time, and love to layer other blends over it after I have been wearing it all day and it fades down to a nice skin scent.

Wow, I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, as I have a bunch of backup bottles and use it for layering on the regular!  There's a reason why this sells out in two nanoseconds every time it is up for restock.  In the bottle:  Very approachable patchouli with...something sweet?  On, wet:  Getting the tiniest hint of some kind of fondant -- that's how the sugar note is expressing itself on me.  Also, the patchouli deepens a bit--not in an offensive way, but the bottom note of that real, non-fake patchouli root is definitely there.  Drydown=stays very stable, and strong, with crazy good throw and wear length.  I usually layer this with other things that need a sweet, patch punch but I sometimes forget how wonderful it is on its own.

In the bottle, the initial whiff I get is the same patchouli from Belonging to the Darkness 2, but following very closely behind is something much sweeter underneath. If BttD2 is dirty patchouli and sharp juniper/vetiver, this is that same patchouli but with a warm vanilla-y sugar instead. It smells absolutely delicious, but not in a foodie way. Yum!

On my skin, it instantly becomes patchouli and… lemon? I don’t mind that, although I certainly wasn’t expecting it. It’s sort of similar to the way Dorian evokes a lemonyness on my skin despite not having lemon notes. 

Drying down, it becomes settled and complex on my skin, less and less lemony over time. Then it finally hits me that, to me, Silkybat smells exactly like walking into a Lush store! Not any soap in particular, just the smell of all those Lush products swirling in the air. To me this correlation gives Silkybat a very calming effect, maybe even sleep-scent territory. 

I totally get the hype and am glad to have a bottle:))

this is a holy grail scent for me. 

mellow, smooth patchouli encrusted in crystalline candied lemon peel.  bright and punchy up top, holding the immense patchouli base patchouli firmly in check.

perfectly balanced.