Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Belonging to the Darkness

7-year aged patchouli glimmering with tuberose, jasmine samba, lily of the valley, opalescent white moss, and white musk.

A ton of patchouli, touches of jasmine and lily of the valley, with an edge of musk. Oooh. The patchouli here reminds me to Silkybat, and sort of also reminds me to the patchouli in Banshee Beat. If you love yourself some patchouli, give this one a whirl. Good throw and wear length.

OK, so jasmine is not my jam, but I was getting a decant of Lydia, so I thought I might as well try the others as well. Plus the other notes in this are totally up my alley. Also, still convinced one day there will be a scent with jasmine in it that I can wear.

Wet: holy Hannah, so much patch! Of the sticky, gnarly, almost skanky variety. Then something aquatic (the moss?). I can smell tuberose faintly. Not getting any of the jasmine at all, which is ideal. Can't detect the lily either. Or musk really. This is almost entirely gritty gnarly patch, with hints of aquatic moss and tuberose. I am actually kind of enjoying it! Totally fits with the name, as it's very dark with glimmers of paleness.

Dry: Hmm, it's mellowed out a bit. The moss is making it a touch cologney. So excited the jasmine never came out and ruined it - if you're like me and terrified of jasmine, don't let it stop you from trying this, I really can't detect it AT ALL and I amp the living daylights out of it. This is mostly patch, which has gotten warmer and richer, but also less gnarly as it dried. Hints of tuberose, which I actually wish there was more of, it's a lovely combo with the patch. I still can't smell the musk. Overall, a PATCHOULI scent for sure, with slightly aquatic moss and hints of florals. It's nice. Not for me, but really really nice. Glad I got to try it, thanks for decanting, z_z!

I love Beth's scents with aged patchouli, so Belonging to the Darkness: Moonstone & Silver was a no-brainer. On me, this is like a white floral-aquatic patchouli. The brown patchouli is infused with all the white notes (tuberose, jasmine samba, lily of the valley, white moss, and white musk), which add airiness to the earthiness of the patch. The white moss gives this the edge of something that smells like the sea, and the white flowers pull this back to shore.

Dries down to a mild floral patchouli that lingers nicely on the skin. Glad I picked this up!

So much patchouli! At first, I was intimidated and thought "no way can I pull this off". I actually mixed this with Silky Bat, and it is more tame to me after adding the carmelized sugar. I may need to work up to wearing this alone.

The patch in this is as earthy and gnarly as it gets, so if you like patchouli, this one is for you. The floral notes in here don't smell like jasmine, but more like tuberose. Definitely for you if you're a patchouli lover!

So this might be one of my top 2 or 3 favorites of all the bottles I own. I love patchouli and I like white florals, but the mixture of these is achingly gorgeous. It’s airy and earthy at the same time, with the lightest touch of cologne. It still feels feminine to me, though. This is one of those that makes my eyes roll to the back of my head every time I sniff from the bottle. I can’t really find the right words for how good it is, but I let a friend sniff a bunch of my BPALs recently, and after smelling this one, she immediately whipped out her phone to take a picture of the label. So there you go!

Gahhhh I swear all the best patchouli is in these Bloodmilk blends! I know I have something else like this but I cannot put my finger on what it is. I agree with LiberAmoris that there is definitely a “sea” quality to this but fortunately there is no musky ocean smell because that never works for me. 

I’m not describing this well but if you love Silky Bat, Feed Me and Fill Me with Pleasure and Owl Moon, you will love this too.

Got a bottle of this and B.T.D. 2 ages ago, finally opened up yesterday and today.  Loving it.  In the bottle...something almost like roasted peanut patchouli if there is such a thing?  On, wet: The patchouli really starts to unfold, along with the other notes which dance on its surface.  Mostly getting jasmine/oudh-like funk and a hint of bitterness in with the patchouli. Drydown:  After a few hours, the moss note really starts to come out, and I'm left with a deep, dry, funky almost woodlike patchouli on my skin.  Lasts a long time but not a whole lot of throw.  May try layering this with BTD2 later today.

This is a glowing, luminous scent, where the velvety opulence of the tuberose, the sultry, narcotic jasmine, and the clean, bright lily of the valley sing, crystalline and delicate, softening the earthy edge of the patchouli. A night-blooming bouquet, wrapped in a gauzy veil, and glimmering with the tears of the moon.