Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Casablanca

Winter Landscape

Edvard Munch

A snow-thick scent, chalky with sandalwood and clove, streaked iron-orange and tonka-brown.

My decants haven’t come yet, but I got to sample my friend’s decants with her last night.

Some snow notes come across as plasticky or chemical to me, but I’d found that the one in Tres Riches Heures is lovely. It reads to me as coldness + mint + a little vanilla. Winter Landscape opens, to my nose, with that same snow blend.

At first I only get this snow, but with a subtle sandalwood instead of Tres Riches Heures’ blue musk. I don’t find any other notes and (like Tres Riches Heures) this opening is simple but pretty.

After some minutes I find what might be hints of orange and clove. The former is so subtle on me that I didn’t even notice it when first testing last night. The latter is also soft, but more noticeable than the orange. They color the blend but don’t come close to overwhelming it.

By drydown, some of the snow has melted away, but it lingers, blended with an orange-tinted, cloven sandalwood. The clove has strengthened on me slightly but hangs in balance, and the sandalwood stays soft. I never smell iron or tonka.

Low throw and lasted a couple hours on me last night, somewhat below average for me.

So, before my decant even got here, I purchased a bottle of this, because I saw one for a good price, and I have a problem, OK? Lol. I may regret it. Testing the decant now, the bottle hasn't yet arrived!

Wet: Snow. I'm learning that I amp that slushy, bright, snow note. This one's a bit different than the others I have, a touch piney, but not in a way that goes cat pee on me. It's really realistic, and pretty, and makes me want to walk through a snow laden forest on a clear, cold, moonlit night. I'm not really getting the clove, but something is a touch orangey and is warming the scent up. So more like a snow laden forest at sunset than under moonlight. I really like this. Though I amp the snow note, these others notes are holding their own, and I am finally getting a snow scent that isn't JUST snow on me.

Dry: Yay I get some sweet clove as this dries, and that makes me so happy!! I love clove so much. Hints of the sandalwood and Tonka. The snow has settled down, and all the notes are balanced now. This is really beautiful in all stages, and I am quite happy I jumped on that bottle, and can't wait till it gets here so I can slather in it!!

In the bottle: Chilly, slightly spiced orange.

Wet on my skin: CHILLY, slightly minty and spiced orange, now with a hint of cold metal.

Dry: This is a very, very odd scent. I haven't smelled anything like it, and there's obviously nothing like it in my collection. It's pretty masculine on me, with predominantly chilly, metallic aquatic and brightly-gleaming orange at the forefront, then wisps of all the other notes combining to add a spicy, almost mentholated touch in the background. I'm not totally decided on whether or not I like it enough to keep it, so I think this will be one to spend some alone time in the aging partition of my BPAL drawer. It's not cleaning solution orange, which is a good sign, though it does threaten to do that between wet and dry stages.

Sniff: Icy, chilly, most definitely a "cold" perfume, with a citrus sharpness

Wet: This has definitely got the typical Beth "snow" note features: chilly, slightly minty, wet and bright. I also detect an iron tang and whisper of sweetness. I like the metallic note here, it's distinct but not overwhelming and makes for an interesting blend. I don't really detect any clove or sandalwood.

Dry: Ah, now this settles and I think the word "chalky" is really spot-on. At this stage, it's softer and a bit woodsy, the sandalwood comes out, making this lean towards powdery. There's just a tiny hint of spice, the clove making a muted appearance. I like the wet phase better, with the iron and cold notes being stronger.

I like the lab's snow note, but I'm kind of tired of it in blends, because the snow note usually overpowers everything else. This is strong snow note - wet, slushy, not soapy, chilled, slightly minty, and lovely, really makes me think of snow melting off of pine trees and cold air - with a drydown that's mostly snow with an undertone of white sandalwood. The sandalwood turns dry, baby powdery, and slightly dusty smelling on me. I don't get clove, orange or tonka at all.

Orange, clove, snow on a bed of sandalwood. This one actually would probably make a great Shunga. There's something clean and Asian about the sandalwood, and both the clove and orange warm up the slushy snow note. Good throw and wear length.

In the bottle: In the bottle, I only get the snow note, and it’s an ozonic, slushy snow.

Wet: The slushy snow note is also the most prominent feature on my skin, but now, I am also getting some orange. Then, I get the sandalwood, and a little clove. I hope the clove ends up coming out more, as I’m hoping for orange + clove-y snow. There’s something weird smelling in this on me -- I am not sure if is the combo of the snow, orange, and sandalwood or if there’s actually a metallic note in this for the iron descriptor? I am thinking there has to be. This… smells like slushy snow Spaghettio sauce on me. o.0

Dry: Yeah, for some reason, the slush-y snow, orange, and metal (and perhaps the chalkiness?) combine and smell like slush-y snow tomato sauce. This… was very unexpected.

Verdict: Since my skin is doing weird things with this one, I think I will try this in an oil burner and see if I can enjoy it that way.

Honestly, this smells like winter in woods right on application, goes into a little more talvikuu-territory a few seconds in, and goes into something similar to in winter in my room (must be the tonka) a little later. It's... strangely a good mix of all three on me. Really doesn't work on me, as much as I like the idea. 
Can pick out the notes easily as it's drying, and I can get behind the "chalky" here as well.