Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Casablanca

Très Riches Heures du duc de Berry

Limbourg Brothers

Crystalline blue musk arcing over a blanket of snow.

The conceptual scent of a snowy winter night with still some lightness in the sky.

Snowy, medium-blue musk. This snow has a slight graininess in its texture in my nose sometimes. It's a lightly minty-vanilla concept smell pervading a soothing blue musk.

Lovely.

It's exactly what is says on the tin, in even measure. Both in bottle and on my skin it's really pretty blue musk chilled by snow. I do smell something almost citrus-y, but it's not powerful, just kind of playing in the back. It stays true to it's scent throughout. It's a simple beauty.

The snow in this smells very lightly minty, the word brisk comes to my mind and that more accurately describes it to me. It's not like toothpaste or menthol, just crisp cool snow. The brisk snow is very strong in the bottle and wet, but as it dries it becomes softer and sweeter, but not quite into the "sweet snow" territory of other blends like Snow White. The blue musk is cool, clean, and a just a little sweet. Overall this reminds me of going out early in the morning of the first snow fall. Everything is quiet and the air is crisp, and it smells so clean.

A very sweet, snowy scent, definitely a sweeter, lighter musk. I don't think I've ever tried blue musk before, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, the throw is pretty weak on me and it fades very fast. Maybe because I've only tested it and didn't put a lot on? I'd like to keep this one, so I hope the throw either improves or aging makes this stronger.

Origin: decant from Trailer Trash Princess' circle

Initial Thoughts: Blue musk is a musk note that doesn't amp horribly on me the way darker musks do. Definitely worth a shot.

In the Vial: Cold, crisp snowy night air. For the moment I'm getting all the snow and none of the musk.

Wet: And now I'm getting all of the musk and none of the snow. A very pleasant, cool, sleek musk.

Drydown: The snow note creeps back to add some chill to the mix. A cool, subtle, sophisticated musk.

Verdict: This might be a bottle purchase for me.

Wet: Really strong snow note. This is the same snow note as from Mat Night, to me (my favourite snow note). It's not minty, or piney, which I am glad for. It's sweet, and cold and clear. Not getting much musk yet. It has occurred to me that I amp this note, because everything containing it becomes almost single note on me (Mat Night, Kumari Kandum). I actually bought this for the blue musk, which is the only colour of musk I don't seem to own any of, but I can't smell it at all.

Dry: Wow. I swear, there is vanilla in the dry-down. Like a chilly, sweet, vanilla musk. Not where I thought this was going at all, but boy is it lovely! It makes it much different than Mat Night, and worth keeping the bottle. I hope this isn't some crazy fluke and that it dries down like this every time, because this is beautiful.

This is like a slushy snow single note, but with a touch of sweetness. I am not too familiar with blue musk, so it might be the musk that has a sweetness to it?

It is super pretty and I can see myself wearing it when I want to feel like a snow queen :D

The throw is medium.

I love blue musk, but this may as well be another snow single note blend. Minty, slushy snow with a strong, soapy undertone that turns very harsh on my skin and gives me a headache after a while. Like bpal's snow note dumped over dryer sheets.

Edited by Little Bird

Sweet slushy snow. This is the same snow note in Ice Queen. Actually, when I sort of squint, and at first sniff, I went "Ice Queen, is that you?". No berry notes in this one, just muskier and that sweet minty slushy snow note. Great throw and wear length.

I loved the concept of this and I like blue musk, so let's see if it all works.

In the imp, hoo! Overly sweet, surprisingly so.

Wet: This is icy and strangely chemical. It reminds me at first blush of the scent of a chlorinated pool, for whatever reason.

Dry: I think maybe I need to give up on the lab's snow note. Ice works for me, snow not as much. Salty, musky, and very weird.

This is simple, pretty, and just what the notes say: the familiar BPAL snow note and blue musk. Especially when it’s freshly applied, I get a hint of citrus. There’s no citrus listed in the notes, so I think it’s more the combination of the snow and musk giving the impression of citrus. This is very similar to Winter-Time, without the strong mint note. Here it’s just an impression of mint.

For several years I’ve been looking for a snow blend to wear in hot weather, and I think Trés Riches Heures might be it.

This is in the same vein as my beloved Lady Tall and White, except the sugary vanilla sandalwood is replaced with blue musk and a kiss of mint. I'm also reminded of Mat Night, and Snow White. Fresh, pretty and maybe just slightly fruity, like the musk is coming from black plums or grapes. The musk remains in the background, but is very lovely and never goes bitter or too soapy on me.
This one takes me on a snowy, nighttime sleight ride, all bundled up in warm blankets while rushing through the soft, evergreen forest and midnight blue snow.

Edited by Jenjin