Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Akurarei

New Snow in the Avenue

Edvard Munch

Ribbons of wild plum, French lavender, and calla lily rolling over hills of thick snow.

This one is gorgeous!

It's rich purple plums, and cold,cold florals.

The plums are juicy, moderately sweet but not sugary or reminiscent of honey either.

The florals are just the right touch! They strike me as white and barely-there pinks and yellows.

I don't get the snow note, but I'm sure it's what is causing the 'cold' effect on this scent.

A very unique Yule!

Origin: Decant circle by Trailer Trash Princess

Initial Thoughts: I have developed a liking for plum during my BPAL journey. I love lavender. I like some lilies. I like snow scents. We'll see if they all go together well.

In the Vial: Wow. Incredibly rich, luscious plum with a hint of a cool edge in the background. On second sniff, I think I'm getting either the lily or the lavender.

Wet: On me the lavender comes surging out with a bit of the lily. Still very cool. The plum is now lurking underneath it all.

Drydown: Dammit, this has turned to total soap on me! Generic floral soap.

Verdict: I am disappointed - this was so gorgeous in the vial. I guess calla lily is the culprit. Well, I got two new scent lockets for Christmas, guess I'll use the decant up there.

In the decant this is absolutely beautiful - all iced plum and cold lavender - I'm immediately in love. This is the iced plum of my dreams - the one I didn't know I needed but I do.

But then on my skin it instantly turns into really expensive soap. That french milled kind that people buy at fancy boutiques and give as housewarming gifts. But undeniably soap. I'm disappointed - not sure if it is the lily or the lavender - as lavender is often the sneaky soap culprit on me.

But I wait it out and while I'm forced to admit that it never completely 100% loses the soapy edge, after about an hour it eventually softens back into a lovely iced plum with just a touch of lily. And it is almost perfect. But that soap phase is a tough one to get past.

So, as I seem to be saying with a lot of the Yules I've tried so far, I'm going to rest this one a little longer and then try again. And if it doesn't change, I'm still considering a bottle, perhaps to use with a scent locket. Since it is a Winter Gallery release, it seems unlikely to come back in the future, and I can already tell I will regret it if I don't have more...

I love plum and lavender, and thought the other notes might play well. I'm going to have to reconsider lily as a note, as this is the second one that's gone really weird on me.

I got no plum, very little lavender, and almost nothing but dryer sheets. It smelled the same in the vial, wet on the skin, and after a good dry down, I got no variation, which is really weird for me.

This a gorgeous floral! Sweet luscious plum is the star of this one, followed by lots of lilly, with just a touch of lavender at the end. This is very strong; you only need a teeny bit!

So I was pretty much an idiot this year, when it came to decants. I didn't get all the ones I really wanted, and then, in a blind panic, purchased partials and blind bottles of things that should have been decants. Must. Be. Smarter.

(This is one of the blind bottles I freaked out and purchased on the forum because I realized I really had wanted to try it)

Wet: In my head, this was a plum scent. In reality, first it's a lavender scent (briefly), then it's a snow scent (even more briefly) then it's a plastic scent. Buuut it's making a come back! The lavender may save it.

Dry: Soap. Well, at least it's not plastic. It's nice soap. I contemplated maybe keeping this and wearing it for bed, but I am starting to get a headache, and I think this is the culprit. Sad. :(

This is the most perfumey bpal I've ever smelled...it is gorgeous. Bright and cheery, sweet lily and a bit of plum. I don't really detect lavender. Bottle for certain.

This hits all the markers for someone kinda like me... but not. Like someone recommended on a dating site that makes you scrunch your nose, curse the fucking algorithm formula, and cry you'll "never meet anyone!!". Makes me wonder if I'm not conveying some aspect of my personality clearly...maddening! Anyways, before I start pulling in Schrödinger's Box and the Theory of Relativity here, on to the review.

Plums, snow, calla lily. Done.

Its a super straight forward scent and very loud throw. I'll treasure my decant.

Snow, lily and plum. I really amp up the lily in this, so it ends up a very clean lily smell, with just enough hints of plum and snow around the edges. Straight forward, great throw and wear length.

This one starts out very generic "perfume" on me (seriously, I could not pick out the notes at all) with a cold snow note, and then over time turns into soap and plums. Or maybe plum-scented soap. It seems like it could be elegant and pretty on the right person, but that person is not me. Luckily this was a decant and not a bottle.

I love the wild plum note - sweet, dark, juicy plums. The opening of this is all about plum and makes me happy. The drydown, though, is all about intensely soapy lilies, snow note and lavender. It's a frosty bar of lavender dappled soap. Too clean for me.

This was my third favorite Yule (Raspberry Suf and Peppermint Cream Cupcakes topped it, sorry!). It's such a unique scent---frosted, sweet, and floral. It's gorgeous!

In the imp, it's exceedingly sweet and cold. I think it's plum and maybe (spear...mint?), which sounds like an odd combination, but it works very well. Wet, it maintains this chilly, frosty plum, for a few seconds, but then the florals kick in too. As it dries, the brrrrr factor fades away and leaves the wearer with a plummy floral scent. Very, very pretty.

As noted above, you only need a small dab, as this is LOUD and ECHOES FAR AND WIDE. :)

I just had to try this once I read the notes- I love BPAL's plum note, and this reminds me a lot of winter-time.

From the imp it screams a sweet mint in your face, slowly fading and making way for the lavender to envelop the plum.

Lovely. A liiiiittle soapy. Sweet, soft and definately wintery.