Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TijuanaBible

Lonely and Disregarded, A Myth

The Bird of Paradise-renewed each century-born in flame, ending in flame! Thy picture, in a golden frame, hangs in the halls of the rich, but thou thyself often fliest around, lonely and disregarded, a myth-"The Phoenix of Arabia."

Red sandalwood, Arabian myrrh, Ceylon cinnamon, and fig husk.

This is a great skin scent. It has less throw than I expected, but that's okay. The cinnamon doesn't eat the scent (I must amp it normally) and doesn't smell like a craft store. The myrrh and sandalwood blend so well that they're hard to pick apart. I can't really detect the fig but it might be the light sweetness of the blend. Definitely a keeper!

In the bottle, I smell a lovely fig (not overripe or Fig Newtony) and a little sandalwood; on my skin, though, this blend is mostly a red cinnamon-sandalwood-myrrh and the fig falls to the background. The cinnamon is pretty, and smells almost exactly like the Ceylon cinnamon I give my bird. But there's a little more of it on me -- and less fig -- than I'd hoped for.

Unfortunately the cinnamon just amps more in drydown for me.

The blend is soft and barely there, and kind of thin, like there isn't as much scent in the carrier oil. I hope it comes out more with age.

Pretty and skin-close, quiet like a wisp of smoke*. On, at first mostly a sweet sandalwood, and then as it dries, mostly fig. I can't pick out the myrrh from the sandalwood but I'm not that familiar with myrrh. I don't detect any cinnamon at all.

*to clarify, there's not smoke in the scent, but the scent is quiet and has a mood or atmosphere of something light and floating, like a streamer of incense smoke. But no smoke-smell in the scent.

If you like this you may also like: Tushnamatay

Edited by sqwook

Starts off a bit disjunct to me, probably the fig and cinnamon and dries down to a lovely sandalwood/myrrh scent. Very nice :-)

Wet: There was a blast of sandalwood and fig, what I was hoping for, but then it all gets kind of muddled. Still sweet, still woody, but a bit...off. The cinnamon in this strikes me as discordant with the other notes, somehow. Hoping it settles on my skin as it dries.

Dry: Non-descript sweetness, a hint of wood. Still pretty muddled. Very pleasant, it just doesn't really stand out to me in any way. I will likely test it again, but I don't think this one is bottle worthy on my skin.

Uhhhhh....don't think I'm weird but...this smells like San Francisco Soap Co's old Raspberry Glycerin Soap. (Its an extinct company from my wee days in the 90s, who's formulas got bought up by a small german soap making co....The Body Shop still has a strawberry soap of the same formula, for comparison)

Drydown: Its gotta be the fig. Whatever is in this, it turns to all raspberry fig perfumed pastilles on me...this is some backwards magic, eh?

anyways, I LOVE IT. Bottle worthy for sure! :wub2:

I expected this to be stronger and heavier on the cinnamon, but it's woody and surprisingly soft and light. The fig is velvety, sweet and has a dry, wooden quality to it, that's further enhanced by the red sandalwood. The myrrh and sandalwood have a warm, glowing feel, and the cinnamon is warm, sweet, and lightly dusted over everything.
Fades really quickly on me, though, and doesn't have much throw. Fades into a quiet, warm, woody fragrance that's gone entirely by the three hour mark.

I could not resist buying two imps of this in a recent decant circle in hopes that my body would be more receptive to my once-favorite note fig (as it was in Nemesis and Nephilim, two HUGE favorites before menopause and brain injury issues affected my body chem and olfactory sensibilities respectively) ... the fact that ALL FOUR notes are ones that usually work on me (if I can keep myrrh from going sweaty socks in the crook of my arm).

SO glad I did!!!

In the imp: Actually VERY light and clean and lovely ... subtle fig combined with super-clean sandalwood.

Applied to wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: On my wrist, just cinnamon (hey, I LOVE cinnamon!). In crook of arm, the cinnamon mingles evenly with sandalwood and lightly fig. The notes interweave with each other so remarkably that not only can I pick them out if I consciously think about it but they combine into something COMPLETELY different and lovely.

DRYDOWN: The myrrh creeps out but not in an icky way, the fig remains a light reminder and the sandalwood/cinnamon combination are heavenly.

FINAL DRYDOWN: In the final affair, the fig definitely comes to the top, reminding me why I loved fig notes in my resiny blends!

SUCH a keeper ... truthfully now wishing I had tested by Phoenixes before my Yules and I would have bought a bottle of this instead of one of the Yules I got, I think. Maybe I'll be able to swap for it :)

Lonely and Disregarded, A Myth is so much gentler than I thought it might be. This is a red sandalwood-heavy blend on me, with myrrh and cinnamon truly trailing. The fig husk is like a brush of dry fig, just the right amount to add depth. This starts and ends as a skin scent on me, restrained and comforting. The cinnamon does seem to emerge more on the drydown, but not to the point that it takes over. The kind of BPAL I'd reach for after a tough day and needed something warm and soft to wrap myself up in.

Warm, soft, powdered spice. This is very smooth, well blended, and beautiful. I get a color association of 'pinkish red'. Maybe it's the sandalwood-cinnamon, but it's so gentle here.

As it dries, it turns into a soft Arabian desert perfume with something very comforting underneath. It evokes Johnson's Baby Oil, but with greater depth. I love this. :heart: It's tender, like lullabies and rocking chairs, telling stories of distant lands.

Edited by sasqa9

Lonely and Disregarded wet on me smells just like Al-Azif -- it may be the myrrh that they share. As it dries down I can prise out the notes more, and the resemblance to Al-Azif recedes. The cinnamon is gentle, just a hint, no red hots here, but mostly sandalwood and gentle myrrh with some of the warm, sweet earthiness of fig. It makes me wish I had gotten the hang of BPAL updates just a few months earlier!!!