Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In The Bottle: All the sweetness of real, actual marigolds. *swoon*

Wet On Skin: More of the same, warmed up.

Dry Down: A 'green', slightly herbal floral scent, Tagates definitely encapsulates marigolds beautifully. As we move further into autumn, I could see this being layered with light, summer scents OR heavy winter scents, acting as a transitional element.

Just lovely!

Wet: I thought I knew what marigolds smelled like, based on a few perfumes I have that contain it (including Summer's Last Will and Testament, which I adore). I was WRONG. Either that or it just hates me in this single note form. This is terrible on me! It currently smells like compost. In the bottle, it's a really rich floral that reminds me of dried grass, it's almost citrusy....it's nice. On my skin - compost.

Dry: This FINALLY settles into something wearable on me, hours later. I amp some part of that marigold note that is just not pleasant! But once dry, it beautiful. Bright (it really is almost citrusy, to my nose), a little green, fresh, a bit peppery or "zingy" for lack of a better word. It's interesting. Not sure I would wear it though, it takes so long to get past that initial skin fail where it turns to compost...this may need to be rehomed.

Lizzie, I get the opposite reaction to you--when I smelled it in the bottle and wet on my skin, I was horrified at the chemistryfail, because it smelled like soured, rotting flowers, like when you leave something in the water in a vase too long. However, before it even dried down, I was surrounded in this beautiful, bright floral cloud...huffed my wrist, still not pleasant, but the throw was *completely* different. After drydown, what's left on my skin is a bright, almost fruity floral. I'll have to test this more with a more normal application than my suspicious tiny test. :lol:

This smells just like my Tagetes essential oil which smells nothing like marigolds to me. Oh well, had to try it. Thick, heavy, cloying wow.

holy crap. I tried this fresh out of the mailbox and I was hoping it would settle a bit but I was very wrong. Sour marigold in the bottle. Goes on as an eye-watering sour "deadhead" kind of marigold scent. Turned my stomach; had to wash it off immediately. Off to someone who will appreciate it more!

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I like marigold flowers. I hope to like this. I tried Flor de Muerto when it came out a couple of years ago and it did not like my skin. Trying one more time.

In the Bottle: Hm. That is...not pleasant. Super-sour something over greenery. *girds loins*

Wet: A really big blast of the sour something, but it fades pretty quickly and starts settling into something else. Lots of leaves-in-a-garden going on. I've never tried anything with tomato leaf in it, but this is kind of what I imagine it would smell like.

Drydown: It finally settles down into something that is at least pleasant to my nose. I still don't get anything that would suggest floral or marigold to me, but it is garden-green with hints of dirt and a spiciness lurking in the background.

Verdict: It ends up pleasant, but I don't love it. I will almost certainly rehome this to someone who can do it better justice than I.

This is absolutely foul to my nose. It goes on with a hint of actual marigold scent (that herbal, spicy earthiness that is so amazing), but completely coated in weirdness. It's like sour oranges, the dirty dust smell when you turn on the heater for the first time in winter, baby powder and powdered sugar. Bitter, strange, and way too dry and powdery, with a cloying edge to it. This is one of those fragrances that made me feel sick to my stomach when I wore it. Extremely disappointed.

WHOA! I got this one as a whim - another "I think this smelled awful but want to be sure" thing.

So, the other reviews are right on. To me this smelled like a mishmash of candy that melted in a gross Ex boyfriends car and blended in with lint and dog hair and dirty. And then on a hot summer day re-melted and "perfumed" the entire car again.

Dirty suckers.

Molding Flowers.

Souring fruits

Bitter medicinal insanity.

Well, now I know!

I've always thought that marigolds smell weird.  Kind of musty, kind of bitter.  Weird and marigoldy.  Tagetes on my skin smells weird and marigoldy.  Not exactly as I remember, and it gets sweeter over its wearlife, which my skin tends to do to a lot of green notes.  Not much throw (normal for me) but good wear life.  I can't imagine wearing this as a perfume, but I enjoy the single notes as a way of reminding myself what individual components smell like.