Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sir William Schwenck Gilbert

A swank affair: moss and dead leaves – amber-gilded, wrapped in balsam and cracked leather – crowned with mums, with a shard of gleaming, bone-white orris root.

Alas, The Ghosts' High Noon is a bit of a disappointment for me. I was wanting amber, balsam, and leather, but this is predominately a "dead leaves" scent in the bottle and on me. It reminds me a lot of last years "Dead Leaves, Black Pepper, and Sandalwood." Perhaps my nose is getting a similar dryness from the orris as it does from sandalwood? It gets a creaminess to it as it dries down, but it's still very much dead leaves, and dead leaves just aren't my jive. That said, it smelled really nice when I tested on my husband, and if dead leaves work well on you, this might be really nice. My chemistry just isn't bringing out much complexity. To the swaps page!

This starts with a strong Dead Leaves note, bell peppers is how my nose reads it but no matter it quickly settled into something resembling dead leaves. The leather gives it a pungent edge.

For the record, my skin noms leather, so if there is any present, it never had a chance.

Drying the balsam lends a hint of green and resin but orris is the star. This is Bone dry but sweet and ethereal, like a ghost hug.

The Dead Leaves aren't too sharp or screeching. The balsam suggests evergreens were once present. This evokes dry bones rattled by ghostly drafts in an abandoned barn. I couldn't pick out the mums or leather but I think they add to the impression of high Plains.

Concept nailed. If you enjoy orris, this will likely satisfy, but if you wanted leather, there isn't much here. I can layer, as I have more than a few cowboy leather scents so I'm okay with that. It takes a metric ton of leather to detect it on my skin so I'm not surprised but I do wish this had a touch more.

I will be keeping my bottle and besides, the artwork is adorbs.

This is, on me, more forward as a leaf scent than any of the Dead Leaves scents I have tried!

There is a whisper of leather as well, especially on wet, but it fades relatively quickly on me. Behind the leaf note is a wistful floral note and something deep and green that must be the moss.

Like many of these outdoorsy scents, I wouldn't want to wear it as a perfume, but I will keep it to use in my oil burner and see if I can give my room some autumn-ness.

The throw is fairly light, though.

Moss, amber, and mums. On wet, the mum note is stronger. It dries down and the moss starts popping out, as well as the amber, balsam and a touch of leaves. For me, this is a mossier, more aquatic version of Belle Epoque. Medium throw and wear length.