Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
aiobhan

Reapers Gonna Reap

I was supposed to be representing Death for our June Gloom Victorian Mourning event, but the Little Grim Reaper kept stealing my scythe.

Lilith says this perfume should smell like pretty meat bones, and her translation of that is a musky vanilla sandalwood.

In the bottle: MUSK. Sandalwood, maybe.
Warm on skin: There's the vanilla! It's still white, musky sandalwood, but the vanilla is stronger.
After a while: Cool, dry sandalwood with light musk and white, not-sweet, not-warm vanilla. This is probably the least sweet vanilla I've ever smelled from the lab. Edited by Aiobhan

musky! vanilla! sandalwood! Just like it says.

The meat bones are indeed pretty and they smell very clean, if that makes sense. (by clean, I mean smoooooooooth as all getout. uh, not soapy! not even in the same county as soapy. clean bones have nothing to do with soap. clean bones aren't gorey or crusted with dried sinew. they are smooth and polished by being handled by a little mystic as she throws them to communicate with other realms and higher powers)

not foodie but may still appeal to folks who like those scents. Mellow and understated but entirely perfect. It's the perfect black dress meets best-ever-jeans in perfume form. elegant but effortless. good for every situation and easy to wear. this works wonderfully on my chemistry. I love this. thanks, beth and lilith!

the sandalwood, similar to the SN released earlier this year, comes first foe me. Dry down neither vanilla heavy, nor musk driven, nor sandalwood forward... sublime with its effortless and golden warmth and perfection. On me, it conjures the balance and elegance of Hesiod's Phoenix. i adore this. Great sillage.

In The Bottle: That is some serious vanilla sandalwood combination.

Wet On Skin: At this stage, sandalwood dominates. It's the same variety in Tombstone- sweet dry, very desert-y.

Dry Down: Dry, clean meat bones, indeed. This arid, sweet blend is a lovely, 'bare bones' (no pun, I swear!) kind of scent in that it's stripped away everything non-essential to become what it is.

A good 'sister scent' to Banshee Beat, which smelled differently, but had a similar vibe. Honestly, Banshee Beat didn't work our so well for me in the end, but this here, this is going to be JUUUUUST fine! ;)

In the bottle: Exactly what the description says: musky vanilla sandalwood.

On the skin: This is just downright beautiful. It's sexy, musky, woody, creamy, all at once. At times the vanilla kicks it up a notch and steps out to give this sort of a milky vibe (thanks to the musk), but generally speaking, this whole scent is so beautifully blended that it works perfectly. Gorgeous scent and may be my favorite of the collection thus far.

I tested my friend's bottle of this with her so we could compare it on our different skin chemistries.

In the bottle, Reapers smells mostly strongly of musk, but the other listed notes nudge in as well.

Once on our skins, Reapers was mostly sandalwood, with a solid background of vanilla musk, in its early life. In contrast to other blends where my skin amped vanilla in comparison with hers, Reapers then went a little more vanilla on my friend than on me. Go figure!

The blend was faint on my friend after an hour, but still going strong on me. By that time, the musk was strongest on my skin, rather than the sandalwood -- but Reapers is very well blended throughout its life on my skin.

Reapers smells unlike anything else I have. After around 20 minutes, it also started to affect me in a way I didn't expect -- I couldn't get butcher meat and bones out of my head when I sniffed it. I didn't think I was quite that suggestible, but something about this fragrance, once it blends on the skin for a while, reminds me of my high school Anatomy and Physiology course. Sigh. I'm going to need to work to get that out of my head, because there are much more pleasant places to go with Reapers, I'm sure of it.

I'm not getting the clean vibe everyone else is getting. It doesn't smell dirty to me by any means. If my laundry smelled like this I wouldn't be upset at all. I just associate clean with more zingy or aquatic or soapy notes. Anyway, this is really musky in the bottle. Warm and a little sweet. Some dry sandalwood is there too. Wet it's very spicy sandalwood with vanilla and musk. Dry is very similar but the notes are more proportional. It's toasty, and very comforting.

This is almost a single-note black musk on me. It changes and morphs on my skin, it's very hard to pin down. Overall is soft and clean and comforting. Maybe a hint of sandalwood in the background. I can't detect vanilla bu there is maybe just a hint of sweetness here. I like this a lot and can see myself wearing it a lot this fall.

This is also primarily what I believe to be black musk on me. Black musk to me is warm, musky, sweet and almost a hint lemony. There's a definite soft dusty sandalwood and melding of vanilla. All in all a soft, sweet, musky scent that is comforting and subdued. It's quite pretty although I'm not sure I really need the full blind bottle I bought. I suspect I'll only want to wear it when I'm in the sort of mood that a cool, rainy day inspires.

Edited by SimplySyra

To me this is a gentler musk than most of the black musk blends I've sniffed. More golden. This is very similar to Lyonesse but simpler and sweeter. And there's a slight "fuzziness" that could either be the sandalwood or the musk.

This is definitely a dry sandalwood more then anything to me. It's not sweet and I don't get any musk. My chemistry is wonky apparently. This smells very grown up but sadly turns to dry dusty plastic on me.

This is the scent I was most excited to try from this update! I was just going to blind bottle it and not bother getting a decant, but I couldn't wait that long to try it!

Wet: Skin musk (which always has this clean, sort of lemony feel, to me) and vanilla, hints of rich sandalwood. Different than I was expecting - in my head this was going to be a white musk, but I don't think it is. This reminds me of my trip to Greece, years ago, and I have no idea why. Hmm.

Dry: That warm vanilla sandalwood combo that I love so much, overlaid by a light, clean, bright skin musk. Not what I was expecting at all, but I think I really like. Keeping half of my decant while I try to decide if I need a bottle....I kind of think I might.

I've been looking for a substitute for one of my favorites of all time - Dior Addict. And this is it! :bow:

I like Reapers even better. On my skin it is spicy but not as sharp as DA and less sweet. And without all the chemicals :heart:

Edited by elile

The sandalwood goes straight to baby powder on me and the musk smells like a sharp white musk. Very perfumey. Vanilla is dry and barely there. Sort of like a muskier, more powdery Morocco. Clean and powdery, not one of my favorites.

I got a decent of this, because my skin tends to amp woods, and sandalwood in particular. And, true to form, my skin tried it's best to ruin this.

But Reapers was having none of that, and now I'm in a state of vanilla sandalwood bliss from the gorgeous scent cloud surrounding me. Tons of throw also.

Definitely going to need to upgrade to a bottle. Or maybe two.

Edited by Wench457

Fresh from the decant that got delivered today:

In the bottle: Sandalwood with a hint of clean dry sweetness.

Wet: Mostly sandalwood, clean skin musk, with a hint of sweetness.

Dry: Warm, cozy, slightly powdery sandalwood and skin musk, and barely there dry vanilla sweetness haunts in background.

Dry 30 min later: Musky sweet, close to the skin.

It smells like a putting on a cozy sweater after a warm bath feels. I need to try it a few more times before I decide if I'm going to commit to a bottle.

Edited by Missa_Moth

This one is lovely. I definitely am getting musky vanilla and I'm sure the sandalwood is in there too.

It actually reminds me of Edith Cushing but mellower and less sweet (I actually find Edith too aggressive so this is hitting a sweet spot).

I sometimes have issues with vanilla turning to plastic and this blend threatens to do so during dry down but turns out okay in the dry phase.

Overall, this is a nice blend and one that I'm happy to add to my cozy vanilla collection.

Edited by brineydeep

Skin musk, dry vanilla, a little sandalwood.

I definitely find the musk more prominent than anything else, and it's a light clean musk. Definitely not a sweet scent, and I agree with the comparison to Edith Cushing but prefer that one with its richer, sweeter vanilla.

A cool, dry unisex scent. I don't think this balance of these notes works for me; I greatly prefer last year's Some Strangeness in the Proportion as a vanilla sandalwood scent.

Clean smooth sandalwood and skin musk. It's cool, unisex, and very well balanced.

So not going to lie, I was hoping for more vanilla on this.

Reapers Gonna Reap is such a nice sandalwood skin scent. On my skin, the fuzzy musk and sandalwood are about equal and then there's just a hint of dry vanilla. This feels like it belongs in the same 'family' as Morocco and Grooming Scene in a Brothel (both absolute favorites of mine). What I like about Reapers is the simplicity and closeness of the scent—it's very comforting, somehow. My favorite of the BPAL Liliths this year, and backup worthy.

I really love this one--this and The Serpentine were my favorite Liliths this year. At first you can smell the sandalwood, musk, and vanilla pretty distinctly, but as it dries and melds into my skin it turns into this fuzzy, clean scent that I would wear literally anywhere, because it has enough vanilla to be cozy and relaxing, but not so much that it makes it a sweet or foody scent at all. It's a "clean" scent without smelling like a drier sheet. After trying the decant a couple of times, I had to order a bottle, and I might order a backup!

Edited by mollison

Wet, this one is a slightly spicy, light sandalwood.

The musk and vanilla come out very early and are noticeable supporting cast for the main sandalwood note, which gains in strength and depth. The musk is soft and "white," and the vanilla is dry and spicy rather than warm and juicy.

After an hour, this is a steady scent from start to finish, no morphing on me, and is a lovely dry sandalwood. It has good throw and longevity and a nice strength to the blend, very appropriate for the Reaper. I am definitely reminded of ancient bones shrouded in shadowy robes.

If you are a sandalwood lover, grab this one now!

Love it! I didn't think I would need Reapers, because I already heve Volcano in Springtime for sandalwood and vanilla. Wrong!

Reapers is related to VinS, but the musk takes it in a different direction. Less sweet, more intimate. Not sexual/sexy, more like the intimacy of how the skin scent of your kid, or your partner makes you feel.

Bottle required, may need a backup.

Edited to add: The musk keeps getting better and better. I ordered a second bottle.

Edited again to add: Reapers is getting STRONGER with age. A little dab'll do ya.

Edited by Teamama