Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Last year, we spent a little time running around ghost towns in California. There was one that wasnt quite a ghost town, but was it was an Old West movie set that was abandoned. A ghost town of a ghost town? It was so peculiar, and so very California. The three of us made mini movies together in that odd ghost town until it got too cold to hold a camera. This photo isnt from that trip, but it reminds me so strongly of our silly little films.

This one is for my little bandit: sarsaparilla, leather, and vanilla cream.

Outlaw is made of some of my very favorite notes and lives up to all my expectations of it.

In the bottle I get a strong burst of mouth watering sarsaparilla/root beer. The leather note is secondary.

Wet on skin: Blast of sarsaparilla with smooth leather underneath it. Vanilla cream in the background keeping it sweet.

Drydown: Leather comes forward more. It's a pretty leather note, not overpowering. The sarsaparilla fizzles in the background now, the vanilla cream starts to peak out more. The sarsaparilla and vanilla cream seem to be merging into one.

Ultimate drydown: Vanilla cream with leather. I'm actually getting a Love's Philosophy vibe with leather and it's BEAUTIFUL.

Definite winner for me and worthy of back ups.

In the bottle this is all sweet creamy sarsaparilla. Not very herbal, definitely root beer. The leather shows up on the skin and yes, it's a gentle dry leather. As this wears on the vanilla does go through that plastic phase most vanillas do for me anymore, though that seems to be most evident up close rather than in the throw thankfully. It eventually settles into a moderately sweet vanilla with the leather reading as a dry and dusty edge. I hate to say it but if you're not looking for the leather you might read it as 'stereotypical vanilla candle' But if you can appreciate the nuances, the subtly of this one is plenty lovely for daily wear and I think it will actually shine as a layering blend-- I'm going to try it over other leather blends (Jareth and Hunter perhaps). I'm reminded strongly of Tombstone of course.

In The Bottle: Mostly sarsaparilla with a bit of vanilla cream. Basically this smells like rootbeer, and I LIKE IT.

Wet On Skin: Mostly the same. I hope it stays, because I tested something many moons ago with the sarsaparilla note and it turned to cardboard on me, which was really, really sad.

Dry Down: YAY! I win! The sarsaparilla has stayed true and this is a really yummy rootbeer float! Oddly, I get *no* leather, which can be a deal-breaker note for me, but appears to be nowhere to be found in this blend on my skin, except perhaps as the vaguest, slightly smoky afternote.

In all: I am loving this way more than I thought I would. Glad to have a bottle!

I tested my friend's bottle of this with her so we could compare it on different skin chemistries.

On both of us, Outlaw was a vanilla root beer float with leather.

At first, it put out more root beer on my friend, and more vanilla cream on me.

The leather came out more strongly on both of us as it dried, but it was stronger on her than on me.

An hour later, Outlaw was a faint vanilla cream with the ghost of a root beer fizz on both of us.

In the bottle: This smells exactly like a root beer float where the vanilla ice cream has sort of melted into the root beer and it's all creamy and fizzy and YUM.

Wet on my skin: Just like in the bottle, except there's a bit of creamy leather now.

Dry: The creamy slightly-melty vanilla root beer float remains, but now there is a beautiful waft of smoky (dusty?) soft brown leather, and it's absolutely lovely! As it wears for a while (hours), the fizzy root beer does fade somewhat, allowing creamy vanilla and that smoky/dusty leather to take center stage together. I recognise this as a similar brown leather to last year's "Blood and Judgment So Well Commedled," which was one of the loveliest, softest scents from that run of Lilith scents. This one, I think, is even better with the addition of that delicious sarsparilla root beer! I'm so glad I have a bottle of this!

Just after application, I'm getting creamy, sarsaparilla wafts that remind me a root beer hard candy or eeek! sore muscle cream. I'm getting a tiny leather note in the background that ground the herbs overall. The cream is extremely slight and I'm actually wishing for more since this turns totally "chewing on a mouthful of black jellybean" on me. I was hoping for more of a root beer float, but this is WAY too much licorice and strangely POOF disappears after 30 minutes. Sad panda.

Edited by Jenjin

Exactly what it says on the tin: a lovely blend of root beer herbs and leather, smoothed out a little bit by the cream. The leather comes out more on the drydown, but never takes over completely. Everything plays really nicely together. I may have to get a bottle of this before the Liliths come down.

EDIT: Yeah, I've worn this pretty consistently since getting the decant and just bought a bottle. I don't want this one to get away. Possibly a new favorite.

Edited by vthesiren

Wet: Mmmm. So good! Strong root beer, cream, hints of leather coming through. LOVE.

Dry: This turns into primarily a leather scent on me, which is OK, because this leather works really well on me, and most of it doesn't. This reads as a smooth, well-worn black leather to me. The root beer is still there, but much less prominent. Though I do with that the root beer had stayed strong, the leather makes this very different from Anti-Saloon league, which will help me justify buying a bottle :)

ETA: A couple of hours later, this is essentially creamy vanilla sugar, soft leather, and wee hints of spicy root beer. WIN. Bottle, for sure.

Edited by LizziesLuck

The sweet root beer float of Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener with just a hint of black, slightly smoky leather. Lots of spicy, fizzy root beer and a little bit of vanilla. SSS is more vanilla than this, though; this is a ton of root beer.

Edit:
I've done a few full wears of this now and it's huge, loud, strong ROOT BEER for about three hours and then settles into a dreamy black leather and vanilla that reminds me of Le Pere Fouettard. It even almost smells like a hint of black licorice meshed into the leather.

I ordered two bottles...

Edited by Little Bird

Gawd I love the Lab's leather notes.

As a preteen, I had a soft brown suede bomber jacket and I was too cool for school. Outlaw smells like a root beer float wrapped inside that jacket. Just that simple. It leans slightly masculine--I would ravage a man who sidled up wearing this--but who cares, I'm gonna wear it, too. Maybe ravage myself sometime.

ROOT BEER!

Root beer.

Creamy root beer.

And then it disappears.

I don't get any leather, which is a bummer, because I love all leather blends from the lab.

I will try this again later, and if it changes, I will edit!

In Imp: the most amazing creamy vanilla sarsaparilla!
Wet on me: Creamy and dreamy sarsaparilla
Drying Down: finally starting to get the leather notes mingling with the creamy sarsaparilla goodness
Dry: OMGS this is SUCH a keeper! I love everything about this!!!!!

This didn't work on me at all. :(

Oh, it matches the description...perfectly. I just wasn't at all prepared for the perfume experience that was Outlaw.

This is a shiny - and very expensive - black leather jacket, with that new leather jacket smell. And then a big ol' half-melted rootbeer float gets spilled all over it, along with a bottle of vanilla extract. There is sticky sugar everywhere.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, or why I thought this would work. I tend to amp leather, and vanilla, and sugar. But I do love and adore sarsparilla, so I hoped that somehow, all of these elements would balance each other out.

Instead, on skin, on drydown, this screams HI I'M LEATHER! VANILLA NOW, HI! SOOOOOOOOOOOODA OVER HERE! HI LEATHER SODA VANILLA SUGAR BOMB HI HI HI!

It is just...cloying, overwhelming. I'm getting knocked over by this Outlaw. I smell like a Baskin Robbins collided with a Harley Davidson store. (Oh, the humanity!)

If you like sugary gourmand scents, and you like leather, this is your new favorite perfume. It won't be mine, though.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

On me while wet, Outlaw is understated root beer and slight leather. However, the gentleness of this scent immediately changes upon drydown. Urgh it turns to this cloying, sweet vanilla scent. Its almost painful how sweet this gets. And it lasts too. Hours after applying I would catch a whiff of vanilla sugar, get confused and then realize I smelled like extra sweet baked goods.

Not what I was hoping for. Alas.

Anybody who knows me knows the smell of root beer normally makes me incredibly nauseous................

So, imagine my insanity when I saw this and went "oh damn I have to try it regardless of the root beer smell" well, I am SOO glad I did because dammit this is perfection and I need a bottle before they go away. The root beer is there, very present and dominant and in no way is it making me feel nauseous at all and I am most thankful. It's sweet root beer and the vanilla is a good supporting note to the whole scent. The leather is only faintly there when it's completely dry and each note blends seamlessly together and creates such a beautiful fragrance and it's oddly comforting to me. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

When I ordered Outlaw, I was hoping for something like Le Pere Fouettard with rootbeer instead of licorice, and that's pretty much what I got! On me, the rootbeer is strongest when wet, but all the notes blend together and even out on drydown. If you are a fan of Le Pere, and like rootbeer, this is a must have.

This is one of those very rare perfumes that I put on and really enjoyed for about ten minutes and then something went terribly wrong and I had to wash it off. Unlike Haltija, I normally adore the smell of root beer, but Outlaw actually did make me feel nauseated. I'm not sure whether it was the root beer-leather combo, or if the cream usually turns into dust on me problem reared up and bit me, or if I'm allergic to some unlisted note, or what, but, yeah, sick to my stomach after about ten minutes. Tested it twice, and both times, no bueno. Those ten minutes are pretty good, though. ^_^ Fresh sarsaparilla and a bit of leather, pretty simple and almost foodie, but not quite. Throw was solid, and I could catch whiffs just moving my hands. I'm not sad I bought it, but it's definitely off to a new home, and I'm leaving this review to remind myself that no matter how good it sounds, root beer + leather may not be my friend. :) I definitely see the comparisons to Le Pere Fouettard, with the complementary sweet & leather notes.

...Man, though. The mental images it brings up are stellar. Lilith in chaps with a cap gun strolling up to the bar and demanding the house reserve root beer, yyy? The dusty scent of the saloon, the smooth frothy mug slightly overflowing with strong homemade rooty brew capped off with a dollop of vanilla cream, the faint jingle of horses outside. If you breathe in deeply you can catch the scent of their saddles.... It's pretty much the best, and I wish it worked on me. ;)

In the imp, the sarsaparilla and the vanilla cream combine to smell like a delicious root beer float.

Once the oil has dried on my skin, there’s a brief stage where it smells salty. I think this is the leather coming forward.

Then it all blends together beautifully. This is like drinking a root beer float while wearing a worn-in leather jacket—soft brown leather. Outlaw is a very brown-and-cream blend.

Tombstone and Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener are two of my favorite GC blends, so it’s almost a given that I would like Outlaw. It’s very reminiscent of Tombstone, with the same Old West vibe, only with leather in addition to wood.

In the bottle: root beer, cream soda, hint of leather.

Wet: drinking root beer while wearing a new, leather jacket. Painfully new, where each breath contains a whiff of "hey, look at my new jacket"

Drydown: getting sweeter, leather is still very present

Dry: less cloying, still sweet, but not overpowering. Basically, like a root beer barrel was wet, and lost in your pocket of your new leather jacket.

In the bottle: super sweet vanilla heavy root beer.

Wet: Same with a little leather.

Dry: The sasparilla and vanilla cream get a little less sweet and balance out with the black leather which really helps to ground the scent. There is a touch of smokiness from the leather. I love this. I didn't think I needed to smell like root beer, but maybe I do?

Root beer floats and a leather background. I'm surprised at how much I actually enjoy this blend considering its essentially candy and leather. But hey, there's a playful rough and tumble about this that is great. Low throw and wear length though.

I love sarsaparilla, and Tombstone is one of my favourite GC's, (AGED), so I had to get this. This is Tombstone's child, basically. Creamy rootbeer, slightly musky with a touch of leather. This is pretty foody, but I still like this, it's a fun blend but has the edge of leather that makes it interesting. I may need more than my half bottle, but the downside is that I'm craving a Woody's Sarsparilla now. :drunk:

ETA: This blend also reminds me of Banshee Beat, but without the patchouli. I'm going to try and layer it with a patch to see what happens.

Edited by milo

I love this scent. I bought two bottles, and depending on how my wear goes, I may try to find a third. It's all root beer and cream on me, sweet like a root beer float but not cloying or sickly, and the leather comes in as this really beautiful warmth underneath. I love it and will wear it a ton, but mostly I bought a second bottle because I have a suspicion about how this will age. I had an imp of Tombstone that probably came from 2012-2014 or so, hard to say when, but it had a least a couple years of sitting around, and based on how that imp smelled, I bought a bottle of Tombstone. The new bottle smelled muuuuuch more strongly of root beer. I like it, but not as much as I liked that imp. Based on this, I'm guessing the root beer note settles down with age, which (if I'm right) might leave this scent as a beautiful creamy leather in a couple of years. I like it a ton right now, but I suspect I'll like it just as much, if not more, as it gets older.

A big splash of root beer with vanilla - yum! It's a nice contrast with the sharp leather note. Like drinking a rootbeer float with your biker boyfriend past curfew - retro and naughty. I won't need a bottle as I already own Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener, although I think I prefer the boldness of this scent.