Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The glittering crimson and gold musks of Sparta enveloped in gilded white swan feathers of pearl orris, white oudh, white sandalwood, and translucent spiced petals.

So lovely. It reminds me of a more refined version of nag champa incense. Very dark, resinous oil, the perfect marriage of orris and incense.

In The Bottle: Wow. Yes, I agree that this is like an incense. I don't *quite* get Nag Champa from it, but rather something else that might burn speficially in an Indian temple, possibly to Lakshmi.

Wet On Skin: Strangely, I'm getting something that's reminding me of violets. I think it might be the pearl orris, which seems like a less dusty, more sweet version of itself.

Dry Down: There's a feeling of sacredness with this scent. There's enough "white" notes in this that I can very well see wearing this for Full Moon rites. It's not resinous on me, but it's strong- a little goes a long way.

I can't wait to see how it ages.

I am also reminded of nag champa, not identical but definitely in the same scent family. This is a very regal incense to me. The musks are bold, warm, and a little sweet. The sandalwood and oudh at the base have a beautiful depth. There is something spicy and floral here, but it blends really well with the other notes. The orris is present, and while I don't really care for it (it smells musty-sweet to me in a weird way) it actually smells pretty pleasant to me here. However, I would be head over heels for this scent if orris wasn't in it.

Leda is just...amazing. First of all, let's talk about the sandalwood. Even though this contains white sandalwood, it has the persistence and heavy-lidded density of red sandalwood on me—incensey and sensual. The white oudh, pearl orris, and translucent spiced petals are gently in tension with the crimson and gold musks, and it smells like red and gold musk giving a thin gilded coat to something opalescent.

As it dries, it gets lighter and lighter in feel until it seems to float away, but make no mistake, this is one hell of an incensey blend in the main. If you like Smut, Sinus Amoris, Spellbound, Hygeia, and O Love and Time and Sin...this feels like it's in the same family. A red musk-centric blend on my skin that made my husband think I was burning actual incense. No, that's just how I smell. :wub2:

Leda: I had such high hopes for you. But...the golden and red musks are clashing instead of blending on my skin. I smell each one individually and they are being bitch slapped by the sandalwood turning them into dry old red and gold hags fighting each other over the last bag of bread on Senior's day at the grocery mart. *Sigh* Off to a new home for you.

I wanted to love this for the name, but between the golden musk, white sandalwood and orris, this is bone dry and super baby powdery smelling on me.

Red and golden musk, nag champaca, and orris. This toggles between regal incense and baby powder on me. Good throw and wear length.

SKIN CHEMISTRY FAIL. :(

A red musk scent that works on my skin? Will wonders ever cease? I'm in agreement with the above posters: regal Indian incense. This one is a stunner. The throw is amazing - little wafts are an olfactory treat!

I love Leda! It reminds me of Hygeia and Mircalla minus the clove. Starts off a bit funky (orris usually does) and ends up a gorgeous red musk + spices and a sandalwood that does smell red instead of white. Lovely.

Edited by Herb Girl

Orris is usually so so bad on me, but I have found 2 scents now that contain it (Lyonesse and A Dusty Moth) that are gorgeous on me, so I am a little hopeful....all these other notes should be great on me.

Wet: Musk heavy. Which I'm OK with. Wafts of incense that almost remind me of Nag Champa or something? Pretty. Sensual. Not ruined by orris at all so far. It does lend it a faint powdery quality, but I like that aspect so far. It's a little sharp, I generally find I like my red musk with something to sweeten it up a bit more.

Dry: Sadness. The orris does its thing and goes quite sour on me. The red musk (which I generally love, but only with something sweet, it seems) is too sharp in this, on my skin. So though I can smell some real potential here, it's sharp and sour, and not very appealing on me. Too bad! I wanted to love it.

In the bottle this vaguely reminds me of wilf, but a darker, less sweet and dirtier version. On drydown i'm really getting the notes exactly. Very interesting, very pretty scent. It's slightly "peppery" but strong on the oudh, and it's turned spicy and sweet, but nothing too crazy. It's ethereal.