Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This is a dry, aged Oman frankincense with saffron and rare woods.

Of all the Bloodmilk / Exquisite Corpse releases, Planchette called to me the loudest.
It was bound to be a winner. And it is!

Planchette takes you through the curtains of parlours and hoodoo shops where fortune tellers and gypsies reside. Opening with incense, it progresses into soft woods nestled in an amazingly smooth saffron. It is glorious! In the same vein as the original Mme. Moriarty, Planchette is a mysterious and deadly sexy scent! I must admit that I've been striking out recently with a few BPAL's (Pip, I'm looking at you), but Planchette warmly welcomes me back to the BPAL fold. It's classic Black Phoenix....filled with love, creativity, and inexplicable beauty..

In the bottle: Frankincense (not lemony or bright, but a burning incense note), soft woods and spices.

Wet on skin: Burning incense, spices, hint of tobacco.

Dry on skin: Sweet resinous wood incense and a bit of spice.

Final thoughts: Well, this is gorgeous! It has a medium-low throw, as it stays relatively close to the skin. On a side note, the black box it came with, and the cards, are simply beautiful. Overall, a marvellous creation! I think I'll have to get the matching jewelry piece...

Try if you like: Oblivion

Frankincense, woods, and a touch of saffron. This was softer and more wearable than I anticipated. Resinous frankincense, woody background and enough saffron to keep it lively, like a thread of red running through it. Medium throw and low wear length.

This is very woody on me (mahogany? Teak?). With just a little bit of frankincense, but I don't mind. This is head and shoulders over any wood blend I have ever tried and I will love it forever, the frankincense just peeks over, just a little bit of incense over a well worn board, giving it a great, slightly spooky feel. I'm in love <3

Planchette is the second Bloodmilk scent i've been able to pickup. Wow guys, I am blown away by the quality and beauty of these fragrances. This one is a gorgeous, smoky resin with a delicate sweetness that I LOVE!!!! It's like being inside of an upscale bohemian headshop, classy but not pretentious. VERY wearable, unique and instantly recognizable, the frankincense is dry and sweet alongside an exquisite wood note that makes me want to sing with joy. The saffron threads through in a surprising way, I would call this a MIDNIGHT saffron, glowing in the darkness while the ouija board tells me "YES YES YES".

I hope they continue to offer these first three fragrances, so that everyone gets to experience them. They are definite works of art and illuminate on the skin alongside the Bloodmilk talismans. EPIC ☆

Edited by Jenjin

All three of the Bloodmilk Exclusives are lighter and more dry and woody smelling than I was hoping for. I agree with Dark Alice in that this has a pencil shavings scent to it. Pencil shavings and a whiff of sharp incense smoke.

Frank and I have a difficult relationship. I love him, but he's a bully. He stomps all over all the other notes, pretty much always. But I always hope there will be a scent with other notes that can stand up to him, so I keep trying.

Wet: Mmm, oh my gosh that's good. Oak? Teak? One of those woods that I love so much. I think it's oak, because it reminds me of Aradia with Frank instead of Tobacco. WOW. I want to bathe in it. Way more feminine than I would have expected, too.

Dry: Very light. Frank did pretty much take over, I'm not getting much of the woods, but it is sweeter and lighter and more feminine than most Frankincense scents that I've tried. Not 100% sure how I feel about it. Further testing required.

Of all of the Exquisite Corpse fragrances, Owl Moon called to me the most, and Planchette the least. Once I got Owl Moon, I was in :wub3: I ended up getting a second bottle, and also Lorraine Cross. There was just something in the fragrance description of Planchette that I was very unsure of. I think it's the woods? But I kept hearing reviews about it, and I decided to go ahead and purchase it. Just arrived today, and I'm so glad I got it! In the bottle, the scent is so light, but was a bit stronger wet. As it dries down, oh wow! It's such a sophisticated and light spice, tobacco, and I suppose frankincense? I think a commenter above hit the nail on the head as an upscale bohemian shop. <3 I think I will have to get a second one for back up!

In The Bottle: The saffron is most dominant in the bottle, giving a slightly "root beer" vibe, of all things.

Wet On Skin: Saffron is still most prominent, but the frankincense is making a bit of an appearance from around the edges.

Dry Down: It's mostly root beer and a touch of frankincense. No woods on me, which makes me *supremely* sad. Still, I think I know someone that will love this tremendously, so off it goes to a better home!

When I initially got this one, it was all over the place for me. Now that it's aged for most of a year, it's one of my favorites. The same frankincense that's in Tushnamatay has come to the front and it's gorgeous. The silage isn't super strong, but it has staying power.

In the bottle: Frankincense, Aztec Copal, a touch of saffron. It's pretty bright, but not astringent. Sometimes resins can lean pine-y; this does not. It's nice!

Wet/Dry down: Saffron comes out to play a bit, but we're still mainly dominated by frankincense. It's rich though, and not as pointy. Something powdery starts to happen; sandalwood? I normally don't like powdery notes but this leans more smokey. A touch of sweetness is starting to happen.

10 minutes in: There's the tobacco I've been looking for, lingering in the middle. More woody bases are coming out (more sandalwood, cedar? Palo santo, is that you?), and they support the top notes of the frankincense and saffron really nicely. This scent isn't as heavy as I'd anticipated, but I love it nonetheless.

3 hours later- we are still definitely around, and i catch whiffs of my wrists at the keyboard as I'm typing, and it smells like my grandfathers tobacco pipe box. There's still lovely frankincense top notes, but those wet pipe tobacco notes are really starting to shine. Date, vanilla, brown sugar, prune. even a touch of bay.

TL;DR- I'm in love with this scent and will more than likely grab a second bottle. In my mind, this is what seances in dark mahogany-paneled drawing rooms would smell like. Specifically, the woman conducting them.

Planchette is quite elusive, and the message it communicates to me is mutable, mercurial. An undercurrent of sweet, fruity resin remains true, but apart from that, and in the span of five minutes, I catch alternating whiffs of honeyed cherry tobacco, dark, sugared confections, and lemony anise tea. I am reminded more of a lively, charged atmosphere wherein strangers sip and nibble amongst whispered chatter, and clasp hands excitedly, anticipating a custom, phantasmal communiqué from beyond–rather than the medium through which the ectoplasmic memo arrived.