Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Dark, rooty, sweet patchouli swirled with honey.

The talisman that Owl Moon is inspired by is bewitching. A crescent moon, filled with new promise and completion entwined with the majestic night owl. I'm not going to go into the breathtaking Bloodmilk presentation of these bottles, except to say they are impeccable, amazingly branded and absolute art pieces. The melding of the BPAL Three Swords with the Bloodmilk Planchette is brilliant and powerful. I am completely blown away by this collaboration.

Earthy and rich, just after applying I feel like a mystic goddess plodding through a soft, evergreen forest of moonlight and furry night creatures. Wet, I can detect the sticky honey mixing with the patch. Sending wafts of exotic, opulent musk around me, it clears the mind while allowing a transformation of pure lust and dark dances. This may be the sexiest Beth creation EVER! I want to POUNCE~

After wearing for 30 minutes, the honey note settles into the patchouli in a seductive way. Owl Moon is absolutely captivating! Exotic, richly spiced and precious, this is one of the most sensual fragrances I have ever encountered; intoxicating, deep and an instant classic.

Stay diligent my lovelies, and you can also catch this beautiful owl as a few are released into the wild with each Bloodmilk update.

How dark, rooty patchouli with honey translates to sex with a Vegas lounge singer from 1973 with CHEAP AXE COLOGNE on my skinI will never know. But it does. I am sad. This has got to go.

This is my new favorite scent! It smells exactly like described; a mix of patchouli and honey, with the patchouli being very faint. I can't wait to get my hands on a new one for back up....

Okay, this has the same rooty dark patchouli that Banshee Beat does, and the honey is in it and brings a nice sweetness. I know I've smelled this before and it's going to drive me nuts...

AHA! This reminds me to Badgers. I mainly got honeyed patchouli from Badgers and this smells almost exactly like Badgers to me.

So for those of you that have a hankering for Owl Moon and are finding it hard to locate, I'd try to snag some Badgers.

Jenjin explained this scent much better than I ever could. It's a wonderful, chewy patchouli, similar to Banshee Beat or Revanent Rhythm, but sweetened with honey instead of vanilla. I have to admit, I felt la little bit like a goth hippie while wearing this scent, but that's never a bad thing, right?

Wet: STRONG chewy, gnarly patchouli. Similar to the patch in Goblin, on me, but not exactly the same. Rooty is a good descriptor for it too. Very earthy, I can almost smell a soil note. The patchouli is very dominant over the honey, currently. I expected a lot of sweetness, to temper the patchouli, but I am not getting it. This almost smells mildewy on my skin. Sniffing it in the bottle, I get none of that - in the bottle it's chewy patch with an almost creamy honey note. Neither of these things should fail on my skin, but they are somehow. So sad!

Dry: Dirt. WTF? I think I am having an off day. Either my nose or my skin. I will revisit this. Because these notes should be nothing but win on me.

In The Bottle: This is the rich, dirty patchouli from #OccupyWallStreet and then some very fine, very clear honey laid overtop. It's surprisingly elegant, I must say, at least at this stage.

Wet On Skin: Yes, this is indeed a root-y, earthy patch, certainly similar to the kind I used to sport from a tiny bottle I carried around in high school. The honey softens the sharpness that straight patchouli essential oil sometimes has.

Dry Down: The honey really is nothing more than something slightly smooths and sweetens the patchouli.

In All: Surprisingly low throw, given the general behavior of these two notes. Sweet, rich and earthy, this is a pretty great scent as we glide effortlessly into autumn. Knowing how well all kinds of patchouli age, I'm really looking forward to seeing what this is like in a month- though make no mistake, it's just hauntingly beautiful right now too. :heart:

This does remind me of the occupywallstreet patchouli, which I wasn't really a fan of. It has a medicinal/mentholic edge and a dry, dusty, sour cedar sort of tone to it on my skin. The honey is sweet and slightly herbal, but mostly I'm getting dry, woody patchouli. It doesn't remind me of Banshee Beat/Revenant Rhythm, which was a darker, more lush patchouli with thick vanilla sweetness. Owl Moon is like occupywallstreet with honey instead of cocoa.

Very heavy patchouli, and lots of honey. The blend seems to be just perfect, and one doesn't really overpower the other. Honey tends to go sharp on me, but this has not and I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you, skin chemistry! I did not expect this to work for me, and I love it. Perfect fall fragrance and great staying power.

2020 update: Well this has aged beautifully. the patchouli and honey have swirled together and have a very smooth and comforting feel, almost creamy vibe. 

Edited by Madame Mew

Origins:

5mL bought second-hand, unknown age.

Preconceived notions:

I'm not a big fan of honey, but I do love me some patchouli.  I'm hoping this is much heavier on the patchouli than the honey.  Liking the idea of a really dirty, dark patchouli with a smear of honey sweetness more and more the more I think of it, at least in theory.  We shall see!

First sniff:

Oh!  That's nice!  Definitely the deep, dark, dirty patchouli I love the most, but there's a rich, syrupy without being candy-like or cloying, lovely sweetness here.  The honey really anchors it and gives it some extra warmth.

Wet on skin:

Pretty much the same as in the bottle, maybe a little more honey-leaning?  My skin tends to really love to hold onto honey, so it could just be my skin chemistry already starting to work it's magic.  Or Owl Moon is just heavier on the honey when on the skin in general.

Dry down:

Pretty much 50/50 very dark patchouli and very golden honey.  I'm amazed there's no cloying undertone here.  Honey is so sickly sweet to me so much of the time, but not here.  It blends so beautifully with the patchouli that the two almost smell like one note, a sultry sweet lush darkness that's somehow snuggly and sexy at the same time. 

The scent hangs very close to my skin and has great staying power.  It even made it through a shower, though Irish Spring doesn't quite compliment it. :D 

The bottom line:

I'm glad I gave this one a shot.  I'm sure it'll get even more lovely with age as the patchouli deepens and the honey melds further and further with it.

This is a nice, soft, classic hippie patchouli. Reminds me heavily of the patchouli linen sprays my mom used to use and my dad hated. 🤣

The honey isn't stinky or animalic, just provides a sweet, creamy undertone. I think that if you like patchouli there is no way this blend could offend you. I don't reach for it as often as Silky Bat, but it does make for a lovely toned down patch while still keeping that classic earthy smell to it.

It's definitely different from Zoe and the Goat, which has a smellier/muskier honey in it than this one does. I didn't like that one very much at all.

i've tried a fair few honeyed patchoulis now, but this one is unique.  the patchouli is rich and sticky and earthy.  honey notes can sometimes have a musky funk down in the depths (which i quite enjoy!)  but this honey is light, with a layer of sugar crystallizing on top. (maybe wildflower honey?  i feel like i'm possibly catching some very light, soft florals at times)

the darkness and light make such lovely counterparts.  it makes me think of 'the bear and the maiden fair' from game of thrones. 

Edited by MamaMoth

This reminds me soooo much of Womb Furie! It’s a sexy honey and patchouli right off the bat. I like this patchouli because it’s tough and present. The honey is not floral it’s the same one in Womb Furie. It’s sweet, foodie and sexy. My mom loved this one too and may have ended up with my bottle! Great throw and wear length too! Bonus! 😏

A symbiosis of the moon and the magnificent night owl. A dark, rooty, sweet patchouli swirled with honey. A scent steeped in mythology and magic, Owl Moon opens with the blackest, earthiest patchouli (before learning of the notes, I actually thought it was vetiver!) and calls to mind cool, moist soil at the base of a pine tree through which all of the busy little night creatures slither and crawl, the pale, ghostly light of the moon glinting off their scales and wings. A yellow-eyed owl, perched overhead, meditates briefly before silently embarking on his nightly hunt; the sour, screechy scent of his nest, littered with rodent bones and pellets, serves as a warning nearby.  This is the fragrance of potent night magics, rich and ripe with darkness and feral mysticism. The sharpness of the patchouli streaked with high-pitched honey combine to form an aura that is both graceful and grotesque, sacred and profane. It dries down to a spellbinding, narcotic musk within an hour or so, and I predict many a darkling will fall rapturously in love with this bewitching nocturnal perfume.