Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Steam-distilled Somalian myrrh with wild crafted rockrose, Moroccan rose absolute, and white sandalwood.

So. Starting off with... duh. We all have different taste in things. However, I don't feel like a proper review for the absolute magic and love that went into Lorraine cross from Elizabeth Barrial and Bloodmilk exquisite corpse has been recognized. So, this is my review for lorraine cross. :)

The oil from wet to dry down hits sooo many memory triggers and just peace. Here are the notes for those who don't know them;
**Steam-distilled Somalian myrrh with wild crafted rockrose, Moroccan rose absolute, and white sandalwood

Ok... so.. I have been wearing this since it arrived. And it has made home on my skin and stayed there lol. Wonderful throw and staying power. It is without a doubt one of my instant top favorite bpal oils. It's warm... comforting... I swear I almost get a black vanilla backdrop. The rose is not HEY LOOK AT ME I'M ROSE. the blend is flawless. The rose blends with the myrhh, sandalwood and is just so pure. I cannot give credit enough to this oil and the work put into it. If you want to smell like an elegant Victorian unearthed goddess..... This. Thank you again for the astounding collaboration guys.

This scent reminds me of Christmas perfumed sets. My grandmother would always send us a box from many states away. One of my favorite things to receive were the little square bath cubes. Each one was a single floral note. Rose was probably the first one I would always grab because it was a scent I could easily recognize. To me, Lorraine smells like powdered rose bath cubes. It's not an offensive or in your face rose. Unfortunately, rose and powder still smell like Grandma to me.

Rose and myrrh. This is soft, resinous, and actually pretty Catholic. It smells like church incense from back in the day. The resin sort of reminds me a little to Jacob's Ladder in that its very golden and very sweet. Good throw and wear length.

Baby powdery white sandalwood and a perfumey, dry, musky smelling rose. Very light and only lasted about two hours on me. So much powder. I don't get the myrrh at all.

So darn excited! This is amazing in the bottle.

Wet: So pretty. Rose, Myrrh, sandalwood, in equal measures. The rose is really different in this, as is the Myrrh, but they are still distinguishable. Sweet, and lighter than I anticipated. Really different.

Dry: This is so so pretty. I thought it was going to be darker, but it's really...elegant. Sophisticated. Beautiful rose, sweet Myrrh, hints of sandalwood. Lovely. Totally lovely. So happy I finally got my hands on it. Hoping it ages like a dream.

In The Bottle: Yup, that's myrrh and rose alright! :biggrin:

Wet On Skin: More of the same. As it warms, I'm noticing that the myrrh is turning the rose into one of those dried, "sitting in the attic" kind of roses. It always reminds me of gothic romances, actually...

Dry Down: The myrrh has gone all baby powder on me, which is par for the course, unfortunately. But for those that love myrrh and like rose, this scent will be a dream come true!

In the bottle: Incense and a light bit of rose.

Wet: The incense comes across very strongly, to the point that I don't detect any other notes.

Drying: The incense is still there, combined with what I can only describe as aftershave. I don't mean that as an insult either--I quite enjoy the smell.

Dry: Incense and aftershave, with a light bit of dusty mustiness to it. To me, this is what I imagine a long undisturbed crypt would smell like.

I absolutely love this scent. It's heady and addictive; I haven't stopped smelling myself since I pulled it out of the mail and immediately put it on hours ago. On my skin, the rose really retreats and it's all about the incense. It also reads very masculine to me/on me, which again, not complaining about because I prefer gender neutral or masculine scents.

I cannot stress how much rose hates me. I amp it to SN status EVERY effin time.

This, and the GC Phantom are the exceptions.

It's a tad soapy but the myrrh is still darn glorious, so IDGAF.

Bottle worthy.

Edited by sarandipitee

If you want to drape yourself in lux red velvet, this is for you. Resinous with precious woods turned sultry from the rose, it mellows out to a calming, addictive smell. Strong and mystical, something about it seems almost illicit, like a deep, dark secret waiting to be revealed. The three original Exquisite Corpse scents are a treasure to me indeed. Precious beyond words.

Edited by Jenjin

So many accurate descriptions for this. The myrrh warms this blend up, and the florals in this are beautiful. In the bottle, this is pure magic.

Unfortunately, it turns pretty powdery on my skin. I have tried it a few times since the summer, but alas, not good on me.

I want to love this so badly.

The label artwork is super gorgeous too! I will be selling this, but do appreciate its beauty.

I was really nervous about trying this scent- I love rose, but my skin has an unfortunate tendency to amp myrrh notes heck and turn them to straight baby powder.

Wet in the bottle: Primarily sandalwood incense with a vague fruity and floral scent to it. Sandalwood and myrrh are the only notes I can pick out, the rest smells like flowers and stone fruits.

Wet, on skin: Still getting heavy sandalwood incense with a hint of rich florals- my old friend powder is nowhere to be seen. I also applied this pretty lightly and I was pleasantly surprised by the throw- it’s not overwhelming but you definitely know it’s there.

Dry, after about two hours: The rose came to the forefront after about 30 minutes and it’s only become more prominent since then. This scent smells like a bouquet of roses tossed on a rosewood altar, with incense burning several rooms away. The roses are a voluptuous red rose, reminiscent of Two, Five, and Seven or Peacock Queen. The scent has a slight dusty and aged quality to it, but emphatically not in a powdery way at all! The throw has also, weirdly, increased since I applied this scent.

Dry, after about ten hours: Still smells like wet, fresh red roses placed in a dusty church. The incense becomes a bit more prominent on drydown, but never enough to overwhelm the gorgeous roses.

Final thoughts: I was really pleasantly surprised by this scent. I was expecting it to be rose scented baby powder, but it’s a new favorite for me. I grew up attending a Catholic church that was constructed in 1850, and they had a little alcove with a life-sized statue of the Virgin Mary in a corner. On certain holy days, people would come and leave roses in the alcove, and this scent somehow perfectly evokes the scent of fresh red roses heaped on that little altar in that dusty old church. I have no idea how Beth managed to make a scent that’s dusty without being powdery and I’m so happy.

In terms of other lab scents, I would describe this as a cross between Rose across and Bear Prince!

Lorraine Cross is a lovely scent. High quality. Starts off with a good amount of rose, but in the drydown the the myrrh and sandalwood reign. I agree there is a powdery vibe, but I find it velvety and distinguished, rather than old lady or baby powder. I imagine being a part of a sophisticated Victorian-style tea party. The surface vibe is all charm and civility, yet the undercurrents are pulsing with wealth and power. Strength of will is prized and conversations are secrets veiled with clever phrases. 

Wear length seems to be good, throw medium. 

initial tests of this were wet rose over dusty powdery myrrh that I knew would smell akin to baby powder to the untrained nose. I liked it, but was wary of wearing it out b/c baby powder/baby soft is so not my thing.  although I liked it, I considered rehoming it as I have enough stunning rose blends to wear out already. 

however, the other night I put some on before going out..and for the next few hours, I kept getting these magical wafts of dreamy velvet rose over whispers of incense.  so glorious! it was MMEEEEE. er, well, actually, it was exquisite lorraine cross!  so good.  keeping this around to anoint on cool evenings. 

Lorraine Cross is a really nice, realistic red rose scent with velvety petals. I seem to be amping the rose, because I am not getting any resins from this whatsoever. After several hours of wear, it's still all rose, all of the time.

But it's a lovely rose! It's not something I need to obtain more of, as I have plenty of rose scents already that I'd reach for before this one, but I am glad I got to try it. :) 

I have had my bottle of Lorraine Cross since its first release in 2016 and forgot to review it. So my bottle has some nice aging on it. There isn't a lot to say other than that I've been getting so many hits on the rose scents that I have chosen lately, after thinking that all rose would turn to dreadful soap on me for years upon years of BPAL. LC is a lovely rose, powdery from the myrrh, but not in an old-fashioned way. Pretty sure that's the sandalwood keeping the dreaded soap at bay. This is gentler than I had expected, and won't shriek anyone's head off. Slightly sweet, gentle resins with velvety rose petals. Very happy to have this!!

The woody warmth of the sandalwood in Lorraine Cross glows like a solemn halo, bright and golden where upon the first light strikes and delicately crumbling to milky powder where the shadows possess it. The blooming beauty of the rose is the earthy floral tether that twines around the heart of this scent, anchoring it to this world. Lorraine Cross is a scent both lofty and grounded, comprised of light and darkness and summons visions of dignity, noble intent, and pure hearts. I can totally imagine Brienne of Tarth wearing it.

I blame @ghoulnextdoor for my desire to own this. It was totally worth it. 100% in love. 

in the bottle & wet it’s “HEY I THINK THERE IS ROSE IN THIS” which I do not mind as I really love a good rose. As it dries down the rose blends into the myrrh so perfectly. The sandalwood gives it a softer, peaceful feel. Like a comfy blanket. I wish I could smell more of the rockrose, but in truth this whole mix of notes is amazing & beautiful. It may have just knocked Rose Red of its perch of perfect red rose.