Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Akurarei

Spooky Hair Gloss

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminicent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

SPOOKY HAIR GLOSS!
This hair gloss was all boozy coconut - a surprisingly summer blend, I did not detect any chocolate (as some people have mentioned in the perfume oil).
There was a very quick and subtle burst of mintyness at first, but it faded almost immediately.
Very pretty, very summery!

Sniffing in the bottle, I get a blast of boozy mint!! :)

In my hair, it is still a slightly sweet booze laced mint. I don't get cocoa out of this either....I do get a hint of coconut as well, and I agree, this is a nice summery scent, but on the sweet side.

The mint was heavy at first on me as well, and did fade a bit, but it is there. Makes me think the scent would be a drink a pirate would enjoy on a beach vacation!! :)

Foodie lovers should love this.... maybe even on-the-fence foodies as well. This ends up being pretty light, but there. Not overpowering at all.

Yummy minty coconut cloud. I don't get any rum or chocolate, but that's ok. This smells cool and summery. Lots of rotation for this this summer.

So I'll be the first to admit that I'm mega foodie when it comes to my BPAL choices and I was totally excited to try this. When I sniff the bottle definitely just a blast of MINT! It makes me think of the rampant mint plants that are growing everywhere, with a splash of boozy rummy goodness underneath. For me the mint drowns out everything else.

Mint is lovely, I rub mint leaves all over myself in the summer so I immediately spray it on. Unfortunately I morph into a giant, freshly squished stink bug. This mint has morphed into something monstrous and smelly and just *no* on me. Maybe it's my shampoo. Maybe it's my hair oils. All I can think now is *NO*.

Being the trooper I am, I left it on and overnight it morphed into purely awesome coconut chocolate with excellent throw, which lasted until I took a shower, only a hint of the stink bug wafting by at random moments.

Gonna have to pass this one on unfortunately.

Summery buttery rum coconut. This one smells like coconut sun tan lotion. If that's what you're into, give it a whirl. I got a bit of mintiness when I first applied it.

Fragrance review:
Spooky is in my top ten of all time favorite bpal fragrances. I have a little orb bottle with the handwritten Spooky label from '04, and bottles from all of its re-releases, and it's one of those fragrances that always makes me smile when I wear it. I'm also always surprised by how complex it actually is.

It's buttery vanilla with a drizzle of frosty peppermint extract (like a Shamrock Shake in perfume form), golden and warm from the oven sugar cookies, and a hint of toasted coconut and sweet chocolate that swirls around the vanilla cookie heaven.

I'm surprised at the reviews that get a lot of rum and coconut from Spooky, because it's tons of buttery vanilla and cookie on my skin, a persistent undertone of sweet mint, and the tiniest hints of toasted coconut (not the suntan lotion variety to my nose at all, and I hate suntan lotion coconut) and chocolate.

The buttery, sweet mint reminds me of Snowblind, but this is like Snowblind in cookie form. I don't tend to enjoy bpal's rum fragrances, but I don't smell the usual rum in Spooky, and think the rum just adds that buttery, silky edge to the vanilla.

I can only use tiny amounts of hair gloss on the very ends of my hair or else it turns my hair into a greasy mess, but I also use the hair glosses as a body mist, so I'm loving having Spooky in spray form :wub:

Product review:
Overview: Hair gloss is a heavy, oily spray that quickly overwhelms my long, fine hair and makes it look and feel very greasy. I can't use this product anywhere but very sparingly on the ends of my hair, or else it makes my head look like an oil slick. I'm really careful with my hair and the products that I use on it. For a while, I was using this to fragrance the ends of my hair, but I find that it makes my hair fall out a lot, either from the high fragrance oil content, the heaviness of the oil itself, or something else. I wanted to love these and wanted them to work, because of the fragrances, but now I only use the hair gloss as a body mist on my arms and legs, not actually on my hair.

Edited by Little Bird

Quite minty when first applied & not as sweet as I expected, plus a hint of chocolate. Once it dries, the coconut & vanilla came to the forefront with the buttery rum supporting them & much more sweetness. It reminds me somehow of eating a mixture of those Walker's Toffees: rich & sweet with a variety of flavours. So, yeah, it's foody on me :D

Yep, that's Spooky! A blast of mint at first, followed by buttery sweet rum and coconut. Love. :wub3:

The decant of Spooky hair gloss I got, smells just like a chemical glass cleaner. :( either I got ripped off, or it had "turned" into something very chemical smelling. Not minty and not coconut.

got a frimp of this from someone :)

at first i smell mint and vanilla with some buttery rum and a hint of coconut. i don't seem to get the cocoa. it's very airy somehow, and after a couple minutes i smell primarily coconut and mint and it's kind of beachy. i think i start to get a hint of cocoa/chocolate after about 5-10 minutes. it smells like ice cream to me! the mint settles a bit but the coconut stays fairly strong. this is definitely not my kind of scent but i'm glad i got to try it. foody scent lovers rejoice :)

Coconut and mint. I love it. If you like the idea of these two things together you will probably love this. More heavy on the coconut to me.