Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

re: Paloma Picasso -- Mousse de chene is oakmoss. I second the rec for Marquise de Merteuil.

re: Hypnose -- You might like anything in the general Snake Oil family, for a woody vanilla. Cottonmouth has passionflower and a couple of other flowers, and Death Adder has vetiver plus coconut and stuff. Also Lyonesse, which I haven't tried but it sounds like the right sort of thing (vanilla, musk, lily, sandalwood, and several other things).

Cottonmouth and Snake Oil itself sound great from the description and reviews, I'll defintely be adding an imp of those to my next order. Thanks Septima!

Mm, I think Cottonmouth is from Carnaval Diabolique -- I don't think you can get it in imp size from the Lab. You might be able to snag a decant off someone, though.

The boyfriend loves Cold Water. Anything similar in the GC?

He's an Axe body spray man, and I'm eagerly awaiting my first ever imps. I want to see if there is anything I can get for him.

while we're thinking of masculine scents, does anybody know of a BPAL equivilent of Aramis?

When I was really little I got a miswrapped present of the Aramis soap-on-a-rope and fell in love with the scent.

It also immediately makes me think of my dad when he got all dressed up and went out with my mom for a fancy night.

Notes: sandalwood, vetiver, bergamot oil, myrtle oil, tree moss, patchouli, clary sage, clove bud oil.

it is described as rugged but smooth, with a blend of rich spices, sandalwood, leather, and clove

Antique Lace reminds me very much of Uninhibited, the discontinued fragrance by Cher from the '90s.

Snake Charmer reminds me a lot of Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan.

He's an Axe body spray man, and I'm eagerly awaiting my first ever imps. I want to see if there is anything I can get for him.

I'd recommend Cthulhu for Cold Water, and Wilde and Saint-Germain for Axe. BPAL is pretty different from Axe though, so it still might seem weird to him at first...pick out some imps that sound good to you and encourage him to try them, even if it means branching out a bit from his usual tastes. Some of my other favorite "masculine" scents are Whitechapel, Golden Priapus, Lear and Dee.

I'd recommend Cthulhu for Cold Water, and Wilde and Saint-Germain for Axe. BPAL is pretty different from Axe though, so it still might seem weird to him at first...pick out some imps that sound good to you and encourage him to try them, even if it means branching out a bit from his usual tastes. Some of my other favorite "masculine" scents are Whitechapel, Golden Priapus, Lear and Dee.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check those out when I get my next check!

Does anyone have any recs of "Vera Wangs's Princess"??

It's theo nyl alcohol baised perfume I ever want anymore!!

This is a long shot but did anyone use Pharaoh's Mistress perfume oil from Fyrinnae? They discontinued all their oils so sadly I didn't get to order more. Their website never listed what notes it had and it's really difficult to figure out... but would love to find something similar if anyone can help!

apologies in advance if this was answered earlier, i didn't read thru the whole thread :P

i used to love banana republic's "modern for women" (or something similar to that name) but they discontinued it :D i remember it being a really fresh green scent. if there was any floral in it, i didn't notice. there *might* have been citrus notes, but if so they were subtle.

any ideas on some bpal scents to grab imps of and see if they smell close to that?

Hi all, does anyone know of any BPAL scents that would be similar to my discontinued Escada Collection? Notes were:

Sweet oriental blend of mandarin, cola, jasmine, tonka bean, musk and sandalwood

Thank you! :P

This may be a tough one, but i really need the help (I looked and didnt see it in this thread, point me in the right direction if it is)

I was/am absolutely addicted to Amy Browns Fire Dance perfume, awhile go it was discontinued and I sadly have no clue what the notes are in it. If anyone remembers it or can find a description of it and can help me with finding something like it in the BPAL catologue (or anywhere else at this point, but i love teh bpal :P) then I will love you forever!!!

Chibi: Vera Wang's Princess is "Water Lily, Lady Apple, Mandarin Meringue, Golden Apricot Skin, Ripe Pink Guava, Tahitian Flower, Wild Tuberose, Dark Chocolate, Pink Frosting Accord, Precious Amber, Forbidden Woods, Royal Musk Captive, Chiffon Vanilla." Tropical florals, fruits, and foods, mostly. Sort of thing that I avoid like crazy, but hopefully someone here knows this end of the BPAL catalogue better than I do, and can help you out.

DarkBeauty28: For Escada Collection, you might try Three Brides, a Salon scent ("Moroccan rose, king mandarin, red sandalwood, Egyptian amber, orchid, carnation, benzoin, tonka, calla lily, vanilla flower"). Mata Hari ("five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean") sounds pretty good too, but doesn't have the sandalwood.

kahmiel: It's described as a cinnamon scent but that's all I can get. Other than that, can you remember the rest of the scent -- was it foody? floral? spicy? woody? There are 18 BPALs that list cinnamon, and five more with cassia, so that's a whole lot of testing if you can't remember more than that.

Edited by septima_pica

I used to wear Laura Ashley No.1 and this was discontinued a few years back.

It's described as follows:

"Laura Ashley No. 1 is a magnificent bouquet of white florals blended with fruit. A Romantic & delicate fragrance. Top Notes of Peach, hyacinth, bergamot, gardenia, galbanum. Heart Notes: Narcissus, rose, jasmine, orchid, clove, carnation. Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk, vanilla, cyclamen"

If anyone can recommend something like it in the BPAL range, I'd be very grateful. :P

Just popping in with a couple of search suggestions for those who are looking for a BPAL twin or cousin to another perfume:

You can search to see if there's a thread about it by clicking on "search" at the top of the forum. (You'll want to try a search for the name of the perfume and the name of the company - some companies have their own thread, like Chanel and Dior...) When you get the search page, put your term in the box, highlight "Recommendations" at the bottom left, and click the radio buttons for "search titles only" and "show results as topics." This will show you if whether or not there's already a topic for the particular perfume company &/or fragrance you are interested in.

If you don't find an existing topic, you may start a thread to ask for recommendations - posting here is fine too.

If you would like to search within this thread to see if any comparisons have been made to your favorite, scroll down to the bottom of the page and at the bottom left you will see a box under the last post that says "Enter Keywords." Pop your search term in there and hit search, and it will find all the posts in this thread that contain the term. (It's one of the handiest search tools in the whole forum, IMO).

PS: saosis, I wore Laura Ashley No. 1 for years... such a pretty scent!

Anyone searching for a BPAL that smells like Givenchy's Amarige (especially the 2005 Millesime edition) should definitely try Shadow Witch Orchid.

Hi all, does anyone know of any BPAL scents that would be similar to my discontinued Escada Collection? Notes were:

Sweet oriental blend of mandarin, cola, jasmine, tonka bean, musk and sandalwood

Thank you! :D

I would like to know that as well. That's the only Escada I really like and it's so pretty.

ETA: I didn't see the answer before posting :P but personally Mata Hari smells nothing like Escada Collection.

Edited by beachbabealways

Thank you! :D

I would like to know that as well. That's the only Escada I really like and it's so pretty.

ETA: I didn't see the answer before posting :P but personally Mata Hari smells nothing like Escada Collection.

I agree. EC was just so different and a very sexy fragrance! Too bad they discontinued it. I have to admit I do like Escada Magnetism but sometimes it is just too sweet. I like the new Moon Sparkle too though. I find it is a little deeper than the summery fragrances they have been putting out every year.

After a frustrating experience with another scent e-tailer, I'm hoping there's a BPAL scent I can use to replace my very favorite scent - FeMalediction's Bastet, which is a light, buttery musk. I know she used stock oils, and I'd buy that if I could find it, but I'd rather support a place like BPAL. Any suggestions on imps I could order and try out? The scent catalog here is a little overwhelming for a newbie.

Thanks so much!

Tallian, how about Bastet? Notes: amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by erraticprophet

After a frustrating experience with another scent e-tailer, I'm hoping there's a BPAL scent I can use to replace my very favorite scent - FeMalediction's Bastet, which is a light, buttery musk. I know she used stock oils, and I'd buy that if I could find it, but I'd rather support a place like BPAL. Any suggestions on imps I could order and try out? The scent catalog here is a little overwhelming for a newbie.

Thanks so much!

It's very possible it could be this (sCara used stock oils). I've never bought from FeMalediction's but you might go over to the thread here and I bet someone can help you.

Good Luck. :P