Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

New to this forum and trying to decide on my first 12 imps...

I wear Flower by Kenzo, but the last lot I bought was EDP and it goes really powdery on me. The EDT was clean and fresh.

The blurb says: Flower is a contemporary modern fragrance. A soft blend of wild hawthorn, bulgarian rose, parma violet, cassia, hedione, white musk and vanilla

I also love Bvlgari Pour Femme EDP

Blurb: Bvlgari Pour Femme is a refined, flowery fragrance possessing a blend of violet, jasmine and orange blossom.

Most perfumes turn to "Granny Talk" on me, but the flower EDT and Bvlgari don't.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone have any suggestions for Coco Chanel? I love Coco. I think maybe something with leather.

I personally find Cairo to be almost exactly like Coco. I got a lot of Bulgarian Rose and spice in Coco. I have saved my Cairo imp to send my sister just for this reason (as a Coco-thing, lol).

Now I am on my own search.. I want a BPAL that smells like two perfumes that are pretty much identical to each other:

Annick Goutal eau de Ciel

L'Artisan Extrait de Songe

Both of these feature a gorgeous hay note to my nose and that is the note I am looking for in BPAL. To find that wonder-note concentrated into an oil would be heaven.

Thanks for this thread, ivyandpeony. :D It's good to have all these recommendations in one spot.

I once posted a request for something similar to Philosophy's Pure Grace perfume, since it was one of the few my best friend liked (I love it, too) and I wanted to enable her. The Pool of Tears was released not long after that and it's very, very close. A bit less soft and without that white musk-like base, but it really hits the clean, "freshly showered" spot. I now own a bottle and it's one of my favorite warm weather scents. Meanwhile, my friend ended up falling in love with White Rabbit, whereas I really don't like it--but I guess it's got a similar "clean" feeling to it.

Also, I cannot stand orange blossom, but I keep my imp of Les Infortunes de la Vertu because it smells almost exactly like Avon's Sweet Honesty, which reminds me of my grandmother. :P

Re: Poison

However, Dark Delicacies is very similar to Poison to my nose.

I definitely agree! Spellbound does smell like Poison on me, not in the bottle. And Venom does smell like Poison, but on my skin I actually think Dark Delicacies is closer.

I happen to be wearing Dark Delicacies today. Reading this made me sniff my wrist and yep, it smells like Poison. No wonder I like it so much! It's a bit brighter than Poison to me, though--not that DD is a bright scent because it's actually pretty dark, but I think the combination of fruit gums and orchid make it more of a burgundy than a black scent. To me, Poison is a burgundy that's so dark it's almost black.

ETA: I just posted this in another thread, but I might as well add it here, as well. Late drydown of Red Lantern = Clinique Aromatics Elixir.

Edited by Dymphna

I was browsing through luckyscents.com (curses on the girl on LJ's bpal_mafia who added a link of this... I'm positively drooling!) and came across Garnet, a roll-on perfume by Sage. The notes listed are "Moroccan red rose, gardenia, watermelon, blackberry, Tunisian amber, patchouli, vanilla," and I immediately thought that it sounded like a fruitier Haunted Palace ("red rose, Tunisian amber, blood orange, toasted vanilla, heliotrope, gardenia and red musk"). Might be worth a shot if you love Haunted Palace!

Hi everyone. I'm new to BPAL, and have been spending many contented hours browsing the site... writing down list after list of imps I'd like to try! I'm a total perfume junkie, so was thrilled to discover so many like-minded people. I've already put in my first order (I made myself stop at 15 imps!), but I'm also looking for any BPAL scents that might resemble a discontinued perfume from Laura Ashley called "Emma." It was my first perfume I ever got as a child, and have been searching everywhere for anything that resembles it. (bottles on ebay go for upwards of $150... not really in my current budget!)

Working on enabling a co worker--she gave me an empty bottle of a scent Wild Oats used to sell called Wildscents Warmth. The label says it has/d notes of vanilla and sandalwood. She says she has tried mixing the 2 fragrance oils but hasn't been able to reproduce the perfume. Anybody ever smell this, or have any ideas?

Hi. I found this description on the Scented Salamander website, and the scent sounds interesting. Anyone know of a similar BPAL oil?

Description: Kyphi by Alchemy Works has the property of smelling (almost) nothing out of the bottle and to take on life only once it hits the skin an is warmed up by it. The carrier for the scent is olive oil. The perfume smells very natural, dark and spicy, delicious and centering, containing: mastic, amber, sweet flag, aspalathos, camel grass (lemon grass), mint, cinnamon, oasis wine, frankincense, honey, and myrrh. It smells also like ancient Egyptian pastries, which we used to reproduce after antique recipes when we were a child.

Perhaps Cairo- The essence of holy Kyphi, beloved incense of the Egyptian Gods.

Anyone tried this one? Thanks.

I haven't smelled it, but have you looked at the reviews for Cairo? They're pretty helpful, and we've got several pages.

Definitely try Cairo, but you also might want to try The Philosopher in Meditation, as well. ( Smoldering woodfire embers, Galen’s Kyphi, and Abramelin incense. ) It's a very rich, sweet, yet dark incense on my skin, which sounds just like what you're after!

Woo Boy, I found this thread and am extremely excited to see which perfumes match whatever scents I like unconsciously.

I will eventually request more with time, but right now I'll start with my favorite: Mariella Burani's self titled scent.

Mariella Burani is categorized as a fruity-floral fragrance.

Top notes: lemon, orange, mandarin, bergamot, grapefruit, aldehydes

Heart notes: rose, geranium, muget, iris, cardamon, violet,

jasmine, carnation, peach, coconut

Base notes: cedarwood, sandalwood, musk, vanilla, oak moss

(Taken from the well-liked Scentagious.)

Now there seems to be a lot here; which is unfortunate. I like the perfume but I ad no idea coconut was in it. I don't really like coconut at all but somehow they blended it to not smell so... tanning oily I guess. However I love sandalwood and vanilla...

So have at it scent experts! I will be in your debt if you can find something that is similar! (Especially among all these other posters!)

Want a Reward? I would be willing to make some icons, signature graphics, or even livejournal graphic goodies (banners, friends only macros) to anyone accepting this challenge.

If you are interested, contact me for some icon samples, or take a look at my current avatar (modified tarot artwork).

Two requests in a row for sandalwood and vanilla, and no one ahead of me to suggest Mouse's Long and Sad Tale! I haven't smelled the Wild Oats scent but the notes sound Mousey to me. :P

DBS, how citrusy is Mariella Burani? And if it is citrusy, which would you say is dominant?

If you like orangey, you may try to hunt down some Sol Invictus in the swaps/sales threads. It's a warm, rich orange scent.

Two requests in a row for sandalwood and vanilla, and no one ahead of me to suggest Mouse's Long and Sad Tale! I haven't smelled the Wild Oats scent but the notes sound Mousey to me. :P

DBS, how citrusy is Mariella Burani? And if it is citrusy, which would you say is dominant?

If you like orangey, you may try to hunt down some Sol Invictus in the swaps/sales threads. It's a warm, rich orange scent.

Ack, I keep smelling it and keep failing to describe it.

It's not very citrusy actually. But I would say the orange is the most dominant. Maybe a sugary, candied orange if anything. One that has been sitting in a potpourri. The vanilla is more prominent but no where near creamsicle proportions.

However I am not really fond of blatant orange smells... D: But it is warm and musky, so you are on the right track.

I'd just like to say....

I always hear the Xiutlchlti (however you spell it) smells like Angel by Thierry Mugler.

My opinion is that is smells EXACLTY like Gucci "Rush" for women.

Only because my manager used to wear that perfume and when I smelled Xiutichlihtilchilticihe haha. I thought of her straight away...

I bought my mum Angel for xmas one year so am also very used to what that smells like!

Does anyone else agree??

I saw someone else bring this up, but I didn't really see it addressed much. What about the PINK scents? Grapefruit. Cotton candy. Red Apples. Spun sugar. Strawberries. Vanilla. Baby powder. I love Aqualina's, Britney's Fantasy and the like. VERY YOUNG smelling scents..Whimsical and sweet.. Are there any GC scents like these. I know there are tons of LEs (I.E. Pink Phoenix which I'd darn near kill to get my hands on) but they're SO popular and hard to find! And when I do find one it always has "Milk" thrown in there which totally turns SOUR on me (i.e. Pink Moon).... Any suggestions?

Light young scents?

GC: 51, Yemaya, Dana O'Shee, O

When you say that Pink Moon turned sour on you, was this the new Pink Moon? I didn't know it had milk in it.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo doesn't smell like one of those specific scents (at least, not to me, though I think others have compared it to Pink Sugar), but it is a very PINK scent. And it does have a somewhat similar feel to Pink Sugar, very sweet and happy and innocent. I love it.

Edited by Dymphna

I saw someone else bring this up, but I didn't really see it addressed much. What about the PINK scents? Grapefruit. Cotton candy. Red Apples. Spun sugar. Strawberries. Vanilla. Baby powder. I love Aqualina's, Britney's Fantasy and the like. VERY YOUNG smelling scents..Whimsical and sweet.. Are there any GC scents like these. I know there are tons of LEs (I.E. Pink Phoenix which I'd darn near kill to get my hands on) but they're SO popular and hard to find! And when I do find one it always has "Milk" thrown in there which totally turns SOUR on me (i.e. Pink Moon).... Any suggestions?

There's probably nothing that smells exactly like Fantasy or Pink Sugar in the BPAL catalogue, but if you're just looking for things in the category of young, sweet, fruity/sugary scents, there are many options. Bordello would be my #1 recommendation, a delicious candy-fruit and vanilla scent. You'll definitely want to try Eat Me, Jailbait and Dragon's Milk. I second Dana O'Shee as well. Let's see...Madrid smells like grape candy to many people, Queen of Hearts is cherry and lilies, Bon Vivant is champagne and strawberry (haven't tried it, but it does sound young and fresh).

As for LEs, Beaver Moon 2007 was a quite recent LE and it shouldn't be too hard to find on the For Sale forum here. Also try Sugar Skull, which is extremely sugary and is still available from the Lab (for a few more days) on the Limited Edition page. Lick It One More Time, which is vanilla mint like a candy cane, is also a currently available LE.

Hope that helps!

The Hamptons strikes me as incredibly pink and young. I really liked that one. :P

Edited by Queen Mab

... I'm also looking for any BPAL scents that might resemble a discontinued perfume from Laura Ashley called "Emma." ...

I can't help you find a similar perfume but here's a list of the notes if anyone else wants to give it a try

Top notes: Bergamot, Freesia, Hyacinth

Middle notes: Bulgarian Rose Absolute, Honey, Honeysuckle, Lily of the Valley/Muguet

Base notes: Amber, Brazilian Vetiver, Moss, Musk, Sandalwood

(from here)

I did a search but I didn't come up with anything on this.

Does anyone know of bpal blends similar/dead on/sort of like Paloma Picasso perfume?

Notes (from my eau de toilette tester bottle):

Top notes:

Bouquet floral aerien - Jasmin - Jacinthe - Rose - Muguet

Core Notes:

Fruite Gourmand - Osmanthus - Peche - Iris - Mousse de chene

Base Notes:

Boise doux - Santal - Patchouli

Thank you!

ifinena

H

Ifinena, my MIL used to wear that scent constantly. There's nothing with all those notes together (and I have no idea what mousse de chene is), but the closest I could find was:

Queen Mab - Warrior, Trickster and Goddess of Magic and Poets, she is one of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Queen of the Faeries. A very complex scent, both shadowy and fierce: black orchid, sandalwood, night-blooming jasmine, osmanthus, Somalian rose, and Chinese musk.

Utrennyaya - Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa and white sandalwood.

Kindly Moon - Kindly Moon is available from September 6th thru 9th 2006. Utterly ethereal, an exquisite expression of love: moonflower, lotus root, white gardenia, beeswax, peach blossom, blue musk, stargazer lily, golden osmanthus, ti, sandalwood, hyacinth, ylang ylang, and a touch of vanilla bean.

Kindly Moon is an LE, but you might still have some luck finding it.

My mom used to wear Paloma Picasso too. I haven't tried a BPAL that smells like it, but Marquise de Merteuil sounds like it might be similar: Opulent galbanum and amber, glistening peach, and a bouquet of French florals, with a merciless undertone of jonquil and heartless vetiver.

Or Moscow: A rich, bold blend of imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine.

These are wild guesses - I just looked for anything that sounded like a mixed floral with some fruit and heavy perfumey notes (amber, musk...) grounding it.

Dymphna: I have a lab fresh imp of Utrenyaya (haven't tested yet) and I do have some Kindly Moon. I like it very much, but it doesn't remind me of my beloved P.P. I will have to test it again and look for a Queen Mab imp.

ClareN:I have none of those two blends. I'll try to swap for them, see how I feel about them.

Thank you for your suggestions ladies!

ifinena

Just tested Peacock Queen, and it is very similar to Caron Or et Noir! To my nose, the rose note in the two scents is identical (and absolutely beautiful). Even though Or et Noir is highly sought after (and only available in Paris), I think I prefer PQ. It's a bit earthier than Or et Noir, and not quite as sweet. And, unlike PQ, I always found Or et Noir to be a bit overpowering, especially at first. Yay Peacock Queen :P

Hello! I am newly enabled to all this, and very keen to get stuck in. I was looking for a BPAL fragrance close to one of my favourite commercial perfumes, Lancome Hypnose. I did a search and it doesn't look like anyone else has already asked about it, so I hope someone with more sniffing experience here can help me :P

The description is: A woody, oriental fragrance; passion flower combined with vanilla and a woody base note with vetiver.

I don't mind having a trawl through the search function for those notes and buying a few imps (in all honesty, it's an excuse for another order!) but I thought I'd just check to see if anyone had noticed a similarity. Thanks!