Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Caron Eau de Reglisse is like a slightly less sweet, slightly powdery Dorian with the addition of a little liquorice.

And, although Fifi Chachnil is considerably less sweet than Dorian, to my nose they are similar. Fifi's Citrus is sharper and more sour than Dorian's, with a powdery rose base (instead of the strong vanilla base in Dorian) along with a touch of spice.

I love them all but If I had to choose, I would say Dorian is the most delectable of the three scents :P

There was an intoxicating smokey sweet floral phase of Fairy Market that reminded me of Poison.

General catalogue recommendations for this family of perfumes: Pink Sugar/Chocolovers/Sanrio Hello Kitty (not Momoberry, but the one that smells like Pink Sugar with more orange in it). I'm looking for something I can order year round that has that wonderful burnt sugar scent to it.

When I tested Bakeneko yesterday and fell head-over-heels in love with it, I thought it reminded me of Givenchy Pi a little. I hoped it was similar to Pi, because a) Bakeneko doesn't last long on me, and b ) I expect it will be hard to obtain a lifetime's supply.

So I went to the mall to test Pi today. It is somewhat similar. It has the same warmth and the hint of cinnamon, but while Bakeneko seems sharp and lively to me, Pi is more rounded and comforting, with vanilla; it has a definite "cologne" feel to it (Pi is marketed as a men's scent, but I think a woman could pull it off as well). Pi is like half of Bakeneko, missing the half that makes Bakeneko really magic. (I wonder if there's a scent out there that could be layered with Pi...)

Unfortunately, it is no Bakeneko substitute for me, but if you like one you should try the other.

Schwarzer Mond reminds me of something I just can't place. I think it might be a Frederic Malle scent - either Musc Ravageur or Noir Epices, but I only tried those once a long time ago (in Dallas) and I have zero access to them here in Australia. Is there anyone here who's tried those scents? Or if anyone happens to be going near a store that carries Frederic Malle (there are only five outlets or something in the United States), could you test these perfumes and find out whether they are at all similar to Schwarzer Mond? Maybe I'm just going crazy...

I'm totally new here and am looking for recommendations for BPALs that are similar to (or just like) Dolce and Gabbana, Aromatics Elixir, Obsession. And may I just add how much I love this site? :P

Thanks, Bird

I'm totally new here and am looking for recommendations for BPALs that are similar to (or just like) Dolce and Gabbana, Aromatics Elixir, Obsession. And may I just add how much I love this site? :P

Thanks, Bird

Hi Jaybird, and welcome!

Can you describe those scents? What notes do you like in them? (particular floral notes, fruits, musk, spices?) There might not be a BPAL scent that's very similar to your favorite perfumes, but you might have luck finding something in the same category if you know what you're looking for.

Sorry for posting in this thread so much, but I tested some L'Artisan fragrances today and they both reminded me of BPAL! Even when I'm exploring other perfume, I have BPAL on the brain.

First, L'Artisan's L'Eau d'Ambre is similar to O, but less foody and PlayDoh-y on me. It also reminded me of something from Lush, but I couldn't remember what.

Second, L'Artisan's Patchouli Patch smells like...get ready for this...Schwarzer Mond.

OK, it's not a perfect match; I do prefer Schwarzer Mond, and the L'Artisan fades more quickly, but the patchouli note is very much the same, and there are some other dark resins in Patchouli Patch with that almost cola-like note that's also in SM. I'd almost buy a bottle, but would I ever use up 50 or 100 ml with all this BPAL around? Probably not...

Can you describe those scents? What notes do you like in them? (particular floral notes, fruits, musk, spices?)

To me, Dolce and Gabbana is oriental, a little spice and a little wood and a little sweet. Like a lighter version of Obsession, which is orientalish too. I've found I don't like Aromatics as much as I thought I did or maybe it's just on me. It is harder for me to pick out notes in commercial perfumes of this sort (not florals) than BPALS. Is that common?

I'm hopeless when it comes to Oriental scent recs, (I don't often swing that way :P) but I'll try and lend a nose regardless...

Dolce and Gabbana: Petitgrain, Tangerine, Basil, Ivy, Aldehyde, Freesia, Rose, Orange Flower, Jasmine, Red Carnation, Muguet, Coriander, Marigold, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Musk

Lot and His Daughters (Salon): Indonesian black patchouli, petitgrain, brandewijn, incense, saffron, lemon peel, myrrh, skin musk, bourbon geranium, and tangerine - appears to be the only scent with petitgrain listed (though there could be others that contain it *unlisted*) - and it does have some musk and citrus notes. It sounds a bit darker than D&G, but you could always try to find a decant to test first. A few other blends contain basil, freesia, coriander, etc., but not all together. You can plug individual notes into the search field on the actual BPAL site to see if any results pique your interest. :D

As for "feel" - oriental, a little spice, a little wood, a little sweet - you could try Morocco (sweet, spicy, oriental), Aureus (sweet, woody), Bengal (sweet, spicy, a touch woody), Chrysanthemum Moon (dried spice, sweet, slightly woody - LE but not too hard to find), among others.

Obsession: Mandarin, Bergamot, Jasmine, Rose, Orange Blossoms, Coriander, Tagete, Armoise, Amber, Oakmoss

Hmm...maybe you could try Three Brides (Rose, Mandarin, Amber), Rapture (Rose, Mandarin, Jasmine, Bergamot), or Baghdad (Rose, Mandarin, Amber, Bergamot)?

Aromatics Elixir- there are some suggestions for this one here!

Lastly, for those looking for something to replace Cashmere Mist - there are some older recs here. :D

Hello BPAL Forum Peeps!

A friend has gifted me six imps of my choice from the site (isn't she awesome?) and being very new to this am wondering if I could have some help finding something akin to the scents I like.

My favorite everyday scent is Demeter's Dirt, which "has crisp green notes and a mossy woody base". I couldn't find any better description than that when looking for the notes. I love it because it smells exactly like clean dirt, kind of like when you're walking through the woods in the fall and kick up some leaves and dirt, but with none of the decay. The only thing I don't like is that the scent doesn't have much staying power. :D

If I want to be sexy or go out in the evening, I use solid Amber Butter, which is warm and spicy on me.

My boyfriend says I smell naturally like dark chocolate without the cocoa, whatever that means. :P I s'pose it demonstrates how elusive scents are when it comes to descriptions.

All I know is I love both of the scents I use, generally dislike things that are too sweet, overpowering, patchouli or floral--they turn into rotting old lady flowers on me, and am excited to try out the new scents my friend is gifting me!

Any suggestions?

My DH exclusively uses Pour Un Homme by Caron and I absolutely love it on him. I was wondering if there were any similar BPAL scents.

Created by Caron in 1934, Pour Un Homme is a luxurious, floral fragrance for men. This masculine scent contains a blend of fresh lavender, with low notes of vanilla, amber and musk.

Top Notes

Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon

Middle Notes

Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood

Base Notes

Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

My DH exclusively uses Pour Un Homme by Caron and I absolutely love it on him. I was wondering if there were any similar BPAL scents.

Created by Caron in 1934, Pour Un Homme is a luxurious, floral fragrance for men. This masculine scent contains a blend of fresh lavender, with low notes of vanilla, amber and musk.

Top Notes

Lavender, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon

Middle Notes

Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood, Cedarwood

Base Notes

Vanilla, Tonka, Musk, Moss

You may want to sample Saint Germain and Casanova.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest something that smells like Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake? My sister loves it madly, but it's been discontinued for years{1}, and as time goes on the few bottles that I *am* able to find creep steadily out of my reach.

(As it suddenly occurs to me that for what the last bottle cost, I could have gotten half of Act III of the Carnivale... I may need to re-examine my priorities.)

A/y. It smells (as I do my research) of Bulgarian rose, coriander, golden Japanese Lily, milky amber, and something called gauaic wood (and I have absolutely no idea what that is). And I think there was a faintly peppery element in there too.

Love and coffee,

Frances

---

{1} It's still possible to get the eau de toilette lite version. This does not move her.

Baoban Sith = Guerlain's Herba Fresca.

Interesting. I'll have to try Herba Fresca again soon. I'm wearing Baobhan Sith today and it's been reminding me of Creed Fleurissimo with it's sophisticated/floral/sparkly vibe.

Also, regarding Old Spice, both hubby and I were commenting that Mr. Jacquel smells like Old Spice on him. At least how we're both remembering Old Spice to smell!

Edited by Beatrice33

I'm looking for suggestions for BPAL fraternal twins of these two scents:

Havana by Aramis:

* Top Notes

* Coriander Seed, Anise, BIrch Tar, Juniper Berry, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Orange,

*Middle Notes

* Bay Rum, Cumin, Jamaican Pimento Berry, Pepper, Jasmine, Hyacinth.,

*Base Notes

* Exotic Woods, Tobacco, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Myrhh, Labdanum, Oilbanum, Tonka bean, Vanilla

(Amusingly enough, this would get my boss into BPAL)

Also, for my mom, Pino Silvestre:

* Top Notes

* Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon,

*Middle Notes

* Geranium, Pine, Clary Sage,

*Base Notes

* Cedarwood, Moss, Musk, Amber

When my mom had me smell a sample of that, it reminded me a little of how Cathode dries down on me... I haven't smelled Havana, but my boss was remembering that he received a bottle of it for a gift, loved it, and now can't find it for less than $80!!

Thank you :P

I'm looking for suggestions for BPAL fraternal twins of these two scentsHavana by Aramis:

* Top Notes

* Coriander Seed, Anise, BIrch Tar, Juniper Berry, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Orange,

*Middle Notes

* Bay Rum, Cumin, Jamaican Pimento Berry, Pepper, Jasmine, Hyacinth.,

*Base Notes

* Exotic Woods, Tobacco, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Myrhh, Labdanum, Oilbanum, Tonka bean, Vanilla

One's that may be worth a shot:

Isaac the Living Skeleton - Bourbon, tobacco, dry bone, bay rum aftershave, and sleazy cologne.

The Great Sword of War - Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

Wilde - Patchouli, tonka bean, bergamot, moss, lavender, jasmine and thyme.

Casanova - A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.

Oberon - Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli.

Oblivion - Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron.

To give you the idea, Wilde and Casanove share three notes with Havana, the rest share two. I'm willing to lend you my Wilde and Casanova for experimentation.

Also, for my mom, Pino Silvestre:

* Top Notes

* Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon,

*Middle Notes

* Geranium, Pine, Clary Sage,

*Base Notes

* Cedarwood, Moss, Musk, Amber

When my mom had me smell a sample of that, it reminded me a little of how Cathode dries down on me.

Hooray for enabling moms!!!!

I think your mom might like:

Saint-Germain - Gilded amber, hypnotic lavender, brash carnation and deep mosses.

Calliope - Lavender and bright mint with bergamot, verbena, thyme and a touch of sweet orange and warm almond.

Clio - Dry parchment, lavender, heavy woods, patchouli, benzoin, orange and amber.

Baghdad - Amber, saffron and bergamot with mandarin, nutmeg, Bulgar rose, musk and sandalwood.

I'm not saying that any of these smell exactly like tha perfumes mentioned, just that they might like them based on notes.

If anyone knows of a good BPAL substitute for either of these then please, post!

I've got another one (because I just tried it for the first time)!

Island by Michael Kors : Caliban

(But Caliban is MUCH better!)

My favorite everyday scent is Demeter's Dirt, which "has crisp green notes and a mossy woody base". I couldn't find any better description than that when looking for the notes. I love it because it smells exactly like clean dirt, kind of like when you're walking through the woods in the fall and kick up some leaves and dirt, but with none of the decay. The only thing I don't like is that the scent doesn't have much staying power. :P

If I want to be sexy or go out in the evening, I use solid Amber Butter, which is warm and spicy on me.

Demeter's Dirt was my BF's favorite scent. Of course, it's gone now. But, he wears BPAL's Zombie and ADORES it. He also wears Premature Burial, but that is an LE from awhile back. Also try Destorying Angel which is very heavy on the soil notes, and Burial (dark loam).

As for "warm and spicy", I've never smelled Amber Butter, but Snake Oil is my definition of "warm and spicy". If Amber Butter is very ambery, try getting an imp of the Lion too. It's a gorgeous warm musky amber.

N.

My favorite everyday scent is Demeter's Dirt, which "has crisp green notes and a mossy woody base". I couldn't find any better description than that when looking for the notes. I love it because it smells exactly like clean dirt, kind of like when you're walking through the woods in the fall and kick up some leaves and dirt, but with none of the decay. The only thing I don't like is that the scent doesn't have much staying power. :D

I've been on the look out for dirt scents as well and recently tried some forum suggestions. Depraved came out surprisingly like wet soil. I totally :P it. Envy has alot of green mossy notes and is probably my favorite mossy scent. I've also tried Nosferatu, and while being kinda dirty it was surprisingly clean and lovely, and not what I'll wear when I want to smell like dirt but I love it anyway. Other forum suggestions for dirt that I have yet to try are Penny Dreadful, Death Cap, Deatroying Angel, and Jazz Funeral. There were some LE suggestions too, but I ignored those as I don't own a money tree yet. :D Hope that helps, trying things and being pleasantly surprised is the best part about BPAL.

It's my first time foraying into BPAL, so I really need some help.

My favorite perfume bar none is Gucci No 3, but it's been discontinued and I hoped BPAL would have something similar to it. I'm not sure what exactly is in it, and Google searched turned up, "it has been found to be a mossy, woody and sharp fragrance. It contains rose oils, iris, jasmine and amber." I would say it's a lush, sensual floral top note that drys down to a mossy amber that warms with body heat. I've tried looking through the BPAL search engine, but most things containing amber are spicy scents, and I can't do spicy scents at all. I think I'm inclined toward floral tops with a woody bottom, a very lush sort of scent.

So far, I've picked out Blood Amber, Nuit, and Queen Mab, just going by the description, but I can't tell if any of these turn out spicy and/or fruity. I dislike spicy, sugary sweet, and most fruity scents (I think I like pomegranate, citrus as a freshener, and I love strawberry, but only the fresh lingering after-taste kind works as a scent for me.) I know that last time I had a whiff of Juicy Couture's new perfume, I gagged from the terrible implosion of scent. I would also love some recommendations for blends of jasmine/lotus/magnolia with some rose mixed in, but are not spicy/sweet/fruity.

(I'm also planning on getting Shanghai, as I liked EA's Green Tea, and Ozymandias as something similar to Chanel No 5, if that's any indication of how bizarre my nose is.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mmmmmm...moss...

Since you don't like fruity, sweet or spicy, here are some floral/moss combos that might work...

Thanatos

I Died for Beauty

Urania

Viola

Jazz Funeral (this one might be too sweet, but if it isn't, it might be a good choice)

Mmmm, Rainbath smells so good! I don't have any on hand, so I can't do a sniff test, but I did sniff it in the store recently. It's always smelled kind of rich and earthy to me.

Speaking of Neutrogena...I would LOVE to find something that smells similar to Neutrogena clarifying shampoo. Not any of the new Neutrogena shampoos, I like the clear one in the short, square bottle. It smells kind of sandalwoody to me, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I have yet to try a BPAL that smells anything like it.

I've been trying to enable my mom for about a year now, and she recently confided in me that she loves a scent called JIL by Jil Sanders. Not Jil Sanders, not Jil 5 or whatever, just Jil. Apparently it's really hard to find in the states. I promised her that I could find something similar.

JIL SANDER created JIL in 1980. Jil is the result of the following top fragrance Notes: jasmine, citrus and bergamot. The middle notes are: lavender, freesia and orange blossom and the base of the fragrance is: sandalwood, cedarwood and oakmoss.

The closest I could find using the search function is Santa Eularia Des Riu. citrus, jasmine, herbs, lavendar, and orange blossom.

There are only two BPAL blends with freesia. Swadhishana has bergamot, oakmoss, sandalwood, and other stuff. I've never smelled Jil, so I don't know what it really smells like. Any suggestions?