Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Does Juke Joint smell anything like Demeter's Mojito? I like Mojito, but sometimes it smells a little furniture polish-y to me.

Also, is there anything that resembles Victoria's Secret Love Spell?

Good point Ah Xia. I would like to add my desperate plea for *anything* similar to *any* of the Comme des Garcons Incense series. The "incensy" BPAL blends I've tried have been more like the made-in-India incense sticks you can buy at hippie supply stores, but CdG actually manages to bottle thick, rich, temple incense. It is SO good it makes me want to go to church. :P

I just wanted to add one more couple....Peacock Queen and Jo Malone Red Roses.

Can anyone rec a BPAL similar to Crabtree & Evelyn's Rosewater Eau Fraiche?

Edited by gloom & doom bear

Hello. I know this may be a long shot, but does anyone remember a fragrance called "Tribe" by Coty? It was popular in the early 90's but isn't made anymore. If you remember it, do you know of any BPALs that smell similar? I'm not sure I could even begin to describe it.

This might be a tough one, but a few years ago I always used to get a perfume oil from The Body Shop called Mari Mari. But of course, they discontinued it. If anyone remembers this fragrance and can think of any BPAL scent that's anything like it, please let me know! I miss it so much.

Also, anything similar to Victoria's Secret's Mood - Succulent, Davidoff's Cool Water or Dior's Miss Dior Cherie? Succulent has Madagascar vanilla and berries in it. Cool Water is obviously a very cool aquatic, but I don't remember what's in it. Miss Dior Cherie has green tangerine, violet, pink jasmine, patchouli, crystalline musk, strawberry leaves, caramelized popcorn, and strawberry sorbet listed as its notes.

Has anyone come across a BPAL scent that was similar to the old "Bone Daddy" fragrance that was sold at Hot Topic as part of their Nightmare Before Christmas stuff? Not long after I fell in love with it the formula and packaging were changed, and all the bottles up on ebay and that I can find are the new kind. I have no idea how to describe it, except it's dead sexy. I've been around BPAL for a while and I still have no idea what this is. Vetiver? musk? black amber????? My bottle is not quite uniformly rectangular, sorta slanted, clear frosted glass with a tubular brushed aluminum lid and the box it came in was like a squished and stretched cube, looked like a diamond from the top. I REALLY want to smell like this again. Help!

Looking for recs for something similar to "Child" by Susan Owens. It used to be my signature scent, and I got a craving for it the other day.

It's been described as

white tropical pikkake/jasmine floral with some musky overtones

To me, it is a simple tropical fragrance with a stong pikake note. The drydown is nice, and it does smell like "skin", like how you would want to smell naturally if it wasn't for that body odor thing

Thanks so much!

Edited by SarahES

I've just tried Lysander.. apart from being utterly, utterly lovely, it reminds me very much of Yohji Yamamoto which I used to wear years ago, tis wonderful :P

I haven't tried Haunted, but Baghdad smelled just like Shalimar on me in the early stages, right up until the rose made an appearance (could be my untrained nose though).

I totally get Lolita Lempicka when I wear Australian Copperhead.

As others have said - Xiuhtecuhtli is very Thierry Mugler Angel

Imp smells like Chopard's Casmir (on me - on my friend Imp smells like Angel)

I get Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey with Urania.

Carnaval Diabolique is similar to Fresh's Sugar scents.

Whip is the BPAL rose that's closest to Stella's rose on me.

Dragon Moon had a very Jil Sander/LaCoste "feel" to me.

Midway was a much more complex and multi-dimensional Aquolina Pink Sugar.

And Venom was totally Poison.

Edited by Spacekitty

My mother and sister both wear Miracle exclusively. I'm glad they have something they like, but I think BPAL is nicer, plus I'd really like to get them onto a company that doesn't do animal testing. I'll be visiting them next month, so I want to make them imp packs of good possibilities.

Here's a couple descriptions of the notes:

"Delicious, dewy, this bright and modern oriental exquisitely blends a fruity lychee top note, a flowery middle accord shot through with ginger and pepper, and a rich musk-and-amber end note, into a delicate yet zesty fragrance"

"Top Notes

Lychee, Freesia

Middle Notes

Magnolia, Ginger, Pepper

Base Notes

Musky and Amber Notes, Jasmine"

So far my best guesses are Kiyohime Changes From a Serpent, since it's got lychee, musk, and a flower, and Dolce Stil Nuovo, with flowers, musk, and amber. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated! :P

Maybe 51?

My mother and sister both wear Miracle exclusively. I'm glad they have something they like, but I think BPAL is nicer, plus I'd really like to get them onto a company that doesn't do animal testing. I'll be visiting them next month, so I want to make them imp packs of good possibilities.

Here's a couple descriptions of the notes:

"Delicious, dewy, this bright and modern oriental exquisitely blends a fruity lychee top note, a flowery middle accord shot through with ginger and pepper, and a rich musk-and-amber end note, into a delicate yet zesty fragrance"

"Top Notes

Lychee, Freesia

Middle Notes

Magnolia, Ginger, Pepper

Base Notes

Musky and Amber Notes, Jasmine"

So far my best guesses are Kiyohime Changes From a Serpent, since it's got lychee, musk, and a flower, and Dolce Stil Nuovo, with flowers, musk, and amber. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated! :P

The notes don't compare, but what about Tamamo-no-Mae? That's what the description of Miracle reminds me of. I would describe it as a bright and modern oriental with fruit, florals, and ginger.

Mmmm! I've got 51 sitting right in front of me, I don't know why I didn't think of it. Tamamo-no-mae sounds great- why didn't I buy it? *headdesk* Off to swaps!

Thanks!

I figured I would bump this thread up to the front page - I am going to add some links to that first post and this will help remind me and this way I can thank you all for your participation too.

Hi Linda M! I haven't seen you in the longest time. I love 51 but I have never tried Alien - a few people have commented on the similarity so I am definitely going to have to seek it out next time I'm malling it up.

Spacekitty, that's a great list - I had not made the Fresh Sugar- CD connection but once I read that, *lightbulb* my brain immediately hooked it up. I need to go try my CD again!

Anyone know a BPAL that would be similar to Sensi by Armani? It is so unique, warm and deep and it lasts all day. I always get compliments when I wear it.

Also, my signature scent as a teen was Victoria's Secret - plain. In the fancy little squat bottle with the blue top. It's hard to find anymore. Any BPAL's match up with that?

Interestingly, I found a bottle of VS about a year and was soooooo excited! I bought it, got out in the car, sprayed to high heaven - and it didn't smell nearly as good as I remembered! I guess after 10 years and 2 kids, my skin has changed. Bwwwaaaaaahhhh!!! I loved that stuff! Anyone who knows a BPAL scent close to Sensi or VS?

On my skin, Sudha Segara smells like a slightly lighter Samsara. Anyone who likes one might enjoy the other.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a bpal similar to Gap's Heaven? Every boy I've ever dated has loved that scent on me - I'm starting to get superstitious about it... :P

was that the periwinkle colored one or the light blue? I remember, years ago, I had both dreams and heaven and loved both of them. anyways, the one with the X in my signature icons reminds me of one of those gap perfumes--the more I wear it, the more it smells like it to me...

Heaven is the one that's always been sort of an aqua/blue-green. I think Dream used to be in the light blue packaging, but now it looks like they've changed its packaging to fuschia and the newer Dream More has taken over the light blue color. Hope that makes sense. :P

I've always really liked both Heaven and Dream, but on my skin Heaven wins. I'll definitely start hunting for some Xiuhtecuhtli. Thanks!

Though come to think of it, when I looked up the Gap perfumes to make sure of which color was which, the description of Dream More sounded pretty appealing too. "Orange flower, Asian lily, purple freesia and soft wood". Mmm, soft wood and orange flower - I might also have to try that one next time I'm at the mall, to see how it compares to any of my bpal. :D

Is there a BPAL similar to Be Delicious?

Description I yanked form Google:

Be Delicious is based around a clean and fruity note of apple, balanced by notes of rose, cucumber, orchid, and white lily. The scent closes on soft, sensual base notes of sandalwood and amber.

I would LOVE to know if there's an oil that smells like Paris by Ives St. Laurent! I really miss that stuff! :P

I don't think anyone mentioned that 51 is a dupe of Thierry Mugler's Alien (the name refers to Area 51=a supposed alien crash site, and the scent is SO close that I have to assume they did it on purpose).

I know a lot of people have remarked on this resemblance, but BPAL doesn't sell any dupes! All their blends are original formulations - although when I saw the first reviews comparing it to Alien, I did think the name was a really eerie coincidence. Just think about it this way, though... if they had 600-something perfumes before 51 came out, why would they suddenly start making dupes with that one? :P (51 was just released in March 2007). On me, the results are very odd: it's reminiscent of Creed Fleurissimo, with which it has absolutely no notes in common. I absolutely adore 51, though, it's one of my favorite new blends - maybe even one of my top 10, period. :D

Wow - who would have thought that the formula for Old Spice was so complex? I actually love the smell of it too, my dad and his dad both wore it (my dad rarely wears anything scented now because his skin has become really sensitive). Dracul reminds me of it a bit - I wonder if the "spice" in Old Spice has some clove in it?

This one is really funny - I love Dolce Stil Nuovo and I think it's probably my favorite Lupercalia blend of all of them. When it's wet, and for about the first 30 minutes, it totally reminds me of Avon Sweet Honesty that I wore when I was about 12 to 14. Ah, the memories!