Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

If you like Davidoff Cool Water you should try Danube. It is not the same scent but it reminds me so much of it ... watery, fresh, simply nice :P

Does anyone know of something that gets close to Venezia, now sadly disconned by Laura Biagiotti? A bit of searching on the forum suggests Snow White might be a match, but since that's a LE I don't know if that's going to be any easier to find!

Thanks!

Does anyone know of something that gets close to Venezia, now sadly disconned by Laura Biagiotti? A bit of searching on the forum suggests Snow White might be a match, but since that's a LE I don't know if that's going to be any easier to find!

Thanks!

Oh, I would love to find something similar to this as well. Sadly, Snow White, though lovely, is nothing like it on my skin. It's much more ethereal as opposed to the wonderful ambery, woody smoothness that is Venezia on my skin.

If you like Origin's Spring Fever, you would like ____________________

If you like Estee Lauder's Pleasures, you would like __________________

If you like Ma Bar bubble bath bar from Lush, you would like _______________

If you like Body Shops Nut scented body butter, you would like _____________

Please help:)

This is a fun thread--I have enjoyed reading it.

I'm pretty new myself, but I think you might like Belle Epoque (I love it!) It's got that creamy sandalwood thing AND lilies.

Can I go the other way for a second? I'm one of those girls who hated her entire first order of imps, and I'm dying to love something!!!

My favorite "outside" scents:

Michael Kors (love that tuberose)

Eau D'oolong (Out of production -- WOE)

Stella McCartney (but so much alcohol! yuk)

Garden Botanika Sandalwood Oil (hording the last of this, its my favorite thing ever, but not really sandalwoody -- much creamier and less sharp than you'd expect sandalwood to be)

Victoria's Secret Pear Glacee

The vase of Stargazer Lilies on my table three days after I should have thrown them out

Any help would be great. Thanks so much!

Tzi

I could use some help in converting someone. My husband's best friend, and a good friend of mine as well moved to China to marry a woman from there. I want to send her some BPAL as a present as I hear she has a love of perfume, but I want to make sure and pick things that will be close to what she already likes.

She wears Chanel No. 5, Christian Dior Diorissimo. I don't know what any of those smell like. Whatever we pick for her doesn't have to smell exactly like what she already has, I just want it to be similar in feel.

Diorissimo: The fragrance features notes of bergamot, lily of the valley, jasmine, lily, amaryllis, sandalwood and civet.
I think Lily of the Valley is the main note.

I know how to do searches :P I just know that some of you may be particularly aquainted with these perfumes and might have some fabulous suggestions.

Edit: I'm thinking maybe Belle Epoque for its Lily of the Valley, Red Sandalwood and Mandarin

Loralei for its Ylang Ylang, Neroli, and Sandalwood?

Edited by Tempest

last christmas i got a little bottle of lola fragrance oil for christmas... i fell in LOVE with it; i have never had a perfume that smelled quite as good on me. it was amazing. no one seems to sell it any more; i think they stopped making it and i am just about all out. :P

the product description:

A long-lasting blend of essential oils with top notes of Bergamot, Currant and Mandarin, middle notes of Jasmine, Iris and Nutmeg, Lola is undeniably seductive and ultra-feminine. Patchouli, Oak Moss and Musk ensure that you’ll leave behind a little Lola and a whole lot of sex appeal everywhere you go. Unique, floating Brassia Seeds enhance the aphrodisiac qualities of this exotic blend.

Can anyone recommend any BPAL that might come close to this? I tried Swadhisthana (Vanilla, nutmeg, orris root, gardenia, damiana, jasmine, patchouli, ylang, tangerine, bergamot, sandalwood, oakmoss) but it's too sweet or something; juust not right.

In an attempt to help/enable a co-worker, can anyone suggest a BPAL that's like Sheseido's Inoui? It's from the seventies and discontinued. I poked around the web and found it described variously as: "rich, warm chypre," "green fresh balsamic," "fruity-floral with a myrrh base," & "floral chypre."

Top notes: Lemon, Galbanum, Peach, Juniper

Middle: Jasmine, Pine Needles, Thyme, Freesia

Base: Oakmoss, Cedarwood, Myrrh, Civet, Musk

Most reviews called out the galbanum, peach, jasmine, freesia, myrrh, and (on occasion) oakmoss.

Mitsouko by Guerlain = The Caterpillar

YSL Opium = The Masque (LE)

Avon's White Ginger = Pele

A very good friend of mine goes through the big bottles of Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker like water, so I was wondering if there was a BPAL that would match it? Or even a bunch that I could get as imps so she could mix them.

"Lovely is a beautiful blend of mandarin, rosewood, lavender, apple martini and bergamot. The heart is of orchid, patchouli and finishes off to cedar, white amber, woods and musk."

Thanks!

Edited by DogNPonyShow

In an attempt to help/enable a co-worker, can anyone suggest a BPAL that's like Sheseido's Inoui? It's from the seventies and discontinued. I poked around the web and found it described variously as: "rich, warm chypre," "green fresh balsamic," "fruity-floral with a myrrh base," & "floral chypre."

Top notes: Lemon, Galbanum, Peach, Juniper

Middle: Jasmine, Pine Needles, Thyme, Freesia

Base: Oakmoss, Cedarwood, Myrrh, Civet, Musk

Most reviews called out the galbanum, peach, jasmine, freesia, myrrh, and (on occasion) oakmoss.

In the BPAL realm, Fae (A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss) is the closest that comes to mind. Some of those notes are in Guerlain's Mitsouko as well.

I could use some help in converting someone. My husband's best friend, and a good friend of mine as well moved to China to marry a woman from there. I want to send her some BPAL as a present as I hear she has a love of perfume, but I want to make sure and pick things that will be close to what she already likes.

I know how to do searches icon_wink.gif I just know that some of you may be particularly aquainted with these perfumes and might have some fabulous suggestions.

Chanel No. 5, especially in its parfum form is a really strong and intense scent and the closest I've found in BPAL is maybe Dance of Death. And I may be crazy for suggesting this, but something about Brisingamen has what I think of as a Chanel vibe, though it's nothing like Chanel No. 5.

Edited by minilux

The only time a BPAL scent has ever reminded me of a fragrance I 'used to wear' is Amsterdam smells dead on to Estee Lauder 'Pleasures' ...for me anyway, and Pleasures used to be one of my regular scents. I've not found anything that reminds me of other scents I used to wear...a couple of which I've seen other posts asking or recommending in this thread. Joy, Coco Chanel, Ralph Lauren's 'Lauren' and 'Blue', SJP 'Lovely, Oscar de la Renta 'Intrusion' and Estee Lauder/Tom Ford 'Amber Nude'.

Of those, I'd say 'Joy' is the only one I'd really like to find a similar BPAL to wear...but I still treasure my bottle of the real thing on that one, whereas several of the other scents listed above have moved onto new homes since they were being sadly neglected after my conversion to BPAL.

A very good friend of mine goes through the big bottles of Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker like water, so I was wondering if there was a BPAL that would match it? Or even a bunch that I could get as imps so she could mix them.

"Lovely is a beautiful blend of mandarin, rosewood, lavender, apple martini and bergamot. The heart is of orchid, patchouli and finishes off to cedar, white amber, woods and musk."

Try Mr. Ibis, Vechernyaya, Coyote, Zephyr, Dirty, Coyote and Morocco.

Re: Poison

While I never thought Spellbound smelled like Poison, I never had a chance to try Venom. However, Dark Delicacies is very similar to Poison to my nose.

Poison:

orange blossom, honey, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, plum, rosewood, rose, tuberose, wild berries, cistus labdanum, carnation, jasmine, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, musk, vanilla, heliotrope and opopanax

Dark Delicacies:

a heady and darkly romantic blend of devil’s trumpet accord, black orchid, tonka, coconut meat, fruit gums, osmanthus, smoky resin, myrtle, and Indonesian patchouli

To my nose, the devil's trumepet and black orchid take over for the orange blossom, tuberrose, rose, and jasmine. The Tonka does double duty ofor musk and vanilla. coconut meat hits the opponax. Who knows what those resins and fruit gums are in DD, and the indian patchouli getts all the wood notes.

And Dark Delicacies is still available!

I am absolutely in love with Bath & Body Works' "Breathe Romance", can anyone recommend a BPAL scent that smells like that? The description says it's "amber myrrh."

Thanks! :]

Re: Poison

However, Dark Delicacies is very similar to Poison to my nose.

I definitely agree! Spellbound does smell like Poison on me, not in the bottle. And Venom does smell like Poison, but on my skin I actually think Dark Delicacies is closer.

She wears Chanel No. 5, Christian Dior Diorissimo. I don't know what any of those smell like. Whatever we pick for her doesn't have to smell exactly like what she already has, I just want it to be similar in feel.
Diorissimo: The fragrance features notes of bergamot, lily of the valley, jasmine, lily, amaryllis, sandalwood and civet.
I think Lily of the Valley is the main note.

Sea of Glass reminds me of Diorissimo. There are no notes in the Lab description of Sea of Glass, but both are heavy on the white flowers to me.

I don't think anyone mentioned that 51 is a dupe of Thierry Mugler's Alien (the name refers to Area 51=a supposed alien crash site, and the scent is SO close that I have to assume they did it on purpose).

Death Adder reminds me of Burberry Brit for Men, especially in the drydown. I have a huge bottle of that, so I don't need to stock up on Death Adder!

Recently, I’ve fallen for Shisha.

It’s not sickly, syrupy sweet as I would have expected, but to me, it still is a thick, dark rich mix of honey, tobacco, resins, and general incense, with jasmine floating amongst it all. I would love to find similar honey/jasmine/incense blends.

Also, it smells more 'blue' and ethereal to me, and unfortunately, later sours or soaps, but Kindly Moon is vaguely similar to Chanel Chance on me (though that one feels more 'golden', bold, and vibrant to me, while remaining delicate.

What complex, non-Lunacy blends feel ethereal or 'airy', while coming off as vibrant or 'regal' (Moon Rose, and Midnight are very faint and soapy on me), as opposed to calm and serene?

ck one = vicomte de valmont

if anyone can recommend any bpals that smell like yves sant laurent's limited edition "in love again" that would be grand.

i can't find any information on the scent notes on the web (a question the oracle could not answer! egads!) but it smells very citrusy to me, probably grapefruit....maybe some sandalwood in there for the bottom note....

thanks!

~epona

Notes for In Love Again are: Top notes include grapes, grapefruit, brimbelle. Heart notes include tulip tree, grapefruit, water lily. Base notes include blackberry, sandalwood, musk

I've never found a BPAL with grapefruit that lasts for more than 10 seconds on me. You might want to try Baobhan Sith, Shattered, Night-gaunt or Croquet.

Notes for In Love Again are: Top notes include grapes, grapefruit, brimbelle. Heart notes include tulip tree, grapefruit, water lily. Base notes include blackberry, sandalwood, musk

I've never found a BPAL with grapefruit that lasts for more than 10 seconds on me. You might want to try Baobhan Sith, Shattered, Night-gaunt or Croquet.

thanks so much for this! where on earth did you find that note listing? when i did a search most of what i found were pages in russian where you could still purchase the perfume, maybe....

i am very much digging baobhan sith. :P after reading the notes in all of your descriptions, i think an imp pack is definitley in order. i've had great luck with the arkham oils.

i had no idea i liked water lily. :D

~epona

Edited by eponai

I found the notes in a review on basenotes.net and since they pretty much jive with your description of the scent, it seems like whoever posted them must have gotten them from a somewhat accurate source.