Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

19 minutes ago, Jenjin said:

Daughter is obsessed with Juliette Has a Gun Vanilla Vibes.
It's not really vanilla and more 'beach musk' than anything. 

Any BPAL suggestions? 

The closest I can think of comparing scent notes is Meditation Buddy.
Maaaaybe Thalassa, since she has benzoin to sweeten. 
For the beach musk vibe, Kamau Kogo (!) and My Country are the two that come to mind. 

20 hours ago, artisjok said:

The closest I can think of comparing scent notes is Meditation Buddy.
Maaaaybe Thalassa, since she has benzoin to sweeten. 
For the beach musk vibe, Kamau Kogo (!) and My Country are the two that come to mind. 

Will try Meditation Buddy, but she can't have my bottle :unsure:

So there are only a handful of commercial scents I like, but Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent has really grown on me. I hate that its alcohol based though and of course its super expensive. Any bpal recs?

Edited by ziggystardust13

Once upon a time I wore Diptyque's  Ôponé and loved it dearly.  The site description says of it rose, spice , leather and wood.  Anything in the BPAL treasure chest that might come close? 

I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I am IN LOVE with Indigo by Nest Perfumes. The notes listed are: Italian lemon, orange bergamot, Moroccan tea, Kashmir wood, and wild figs from the south of France.

Any suggestions, you oh so wise BPALers? Thank you!

I absolutely LOVE the Papier d’Armenie burning papers! Does anyone have a recommendation for a, preferably GC, scent that’s a close match? The scent is benzoin (sweet, woody, vanilla), incense, and myrrh. 

I love those burning papers too!  I really don't know of any BPALs that are a close match.  Perhaps a layering of Like a Girl and Tombstone? or Antique Lace with Cedarwood, Vanilla Absolute and Tolu Balsam?    :). I will have to do some experiments.  

There is one conventional perfume that is supposed to (and IMHO, really does) smell a lot like the papers:  Mad et Len's Petit Papiers.  In fact, I tried the perfume first and then sought out the papers because I liked the perfume so much.  

I hadn't thought of layering! I don't have any of the scents you mentioned, but looked them up and they all sound so delicious and my 'to buy' list has just blown up hahaha! Mad et Len's Petit Papiers sounds divine, the price tag not so much but oh my my! Guerlain makes one as well that's almost double what Mad et Len's sells for...

I've had a read through most of the BPAL's with benzoin - are you familiar with Cathedral or The Magdalena? Have you ever tried a straight-up benzoin oil? I know For Strange Women makes one but they don't sell it in a tester size. I'm on a mission, ha! 

I do have decants of both Cathedral and The Magdalene;  I will have to dig them out and retest them.  

It seems like Kit from OLLA might be a good match, but I have not tried that one.  I think the benzoin is key.  

I'll be excited to hear your thoughts on re-sniffing! I actually ordered pure benzoin from For Strange Women, and while it's really lovely (I diluted in argan oil) it's not a match. Someone else recommended No. 93 Engine from BPAL, are you familiar with that one?

i’ve never smelt said papier, but i would suggest psalm 82:2-4. it’s an unimpable LE but has been in the catalogue for a while. it is sooooooo benzoiny, one of my favourite BPALs in general. the vanilla “husk” lends a quality that could be interpreted as sort of papery or incensey.

this is a bit of a long shot, but if there's any bpal scent that smells like lush's ponche/party popper, i'd love to know- its described as spiced orange tequila punch, but with a lot of davana and buchu that makes it smell extra bouncy fruity and citrusy, with very little 'spice' and only a little syrupy alcohol note.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:29 PM, littletiern said:

OOOOOH! This sounds divine! Thank you so much, it sounds like it's worth the full bottle, yum!

it really is ♥️

Hi everyone!! I have been searching for a scent similar to the limited Kindly Moon blend and haven’t had much luck on my own. Can anyone please recommend something similar? I’m dreading the day I run out of this heavenly mix! 🖤 

I love House of Matriarch's Coco Blanc but the lovely coco white chocolate notes vanish too quickly on my skin and are overwhelmed by woods. Any bpal that has a similar scent? Like white chocolate buttercream sandalwood goodness? 

Edited by Maggi

I've searched but haven't found an answer (and apologies if I missed it somewhere), but would anyone know what might be a match for Alfred Sung Forever (described on Fragrantica as "Top notes are Peony, Plum and Tayberry [ETA: Tayberry may be the same as raspberry?]; middle notes are Freesia, Narcissus, Lily-of-the-Valley and Rose; base notes are Amber and Sandalwood."? 

Another description of the notes: "Mirabelle plum and pink peony buds, it blooms into a beautiful heart of yellow freesia. The base notes of lily of the valley and sandalwood perfectly balance the breezy floral bouquet."

Ideas for a BPAL similarity?

Edited by ginathelintqueen

On 3/22/2022 at 5:39 PM, ginathelintqueen said:

I've searched but haven't found an answer (and apologies if I missed it somewhere), but would anyone know what might be a match for Alfred Sung Forever (described on Fragrantica as "Top notes are Peony, Plum and Tayberry [ETA: Tayberry may be the same as raspberry?]; middle notes are Freesia, Narcissus, Lily-of-the-Valley and Rose; base notes are Amber and Sandalwood."? 

Another description of the notes: "Mirabelle plum and pink peony buds, it blooms into a beautiful heart of yellow freesia. The base notes of lily of the valley and sandalwood perfectly balance the breezy floral bouquet."

Ideas for a BPAL similarity?

Some of this year's Lupers might be worth looking at. Lots of florals with some peony, and several plums. Freesia and peony generally feature in the spring releases, so you might try running some note searches in the general Luper thread. Sorry, nothing immediately pops into my mind. 

I have recently gotten a chance to have a sample of Sandalwood in Oak (from Scents of Wood): Sandalwood, Guaiacwood, Burnt Sugar, Smoked Sage, Pink Pepper, Iris, Vanilla Bean.

Omg I have never been so obsessed in my life, and of course, it's expensive as all hells, with apparently no dupes anywhere.

Is there anything like that? I will say, to me/on me it is mostly the creamy vanilla and pepper with the soft woods/resin notes in the background keeping it grounded. It's apparently aged in oak barrels but I wouldn't say the oak note stands out most strongly. The sage I don't get at all, thankfully.

If anyone is looking for something similar to Carner Barcelona RIMA IX, honestly, I find it to be very similar to beloved Morocco, if anyone was interested in anything that felt like it was in the same family. Supposedly it has vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, amber, saffron, black pepper, mint, coriander, jasmine, and cedar. 

I remember kind of liking this one Geek Chic Cosmetics perfume called Witch of the Wilds (yes, it was a Dragon Age one). Finding info on it is kind of difficult, but the notes list I found (not sure if it’s the full list or partial) said:

Nag champa, blackberry, oakmoss, amber, vanilla, violet, clove, and fire & smoke.

Hello friends, 

Not really a perfume but does anyone know a BPAL blend that smells similar to Dove Shea Butter body spray? It says the smell is “a warm vanilla” but it’s very different and very nostalgic to me. I’d appreciate any recommendations.