Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Is there anything like Solstice Scents Sea of Grey? I love it but BPAL is my home, so I want to make sure I’ve not missed anything in their collections first. I’ve tried a few aquatics from BPAL before but they usually smell like toilet freshener on me... so I haven’t gone exploring. Recs? ❤️

On 8/29/2018 at 1:17 PM, monocainsheresy said:

Any recommendations for scents similar to Lush's Karma or Rose Jam? Preferably GC

Donno if you’ve gotten a chance to try out Rapture Pig, but it’s pretty spot on :D 

Any recommendations for scents similar to Lush's Karma or Rose Jam? Preferably GC

Donno if you’ve gotten a chance to try out Rapture Pig, but it’s pretty spot on :D 

I just got a sampler of Tom Ford's Metallic, and love it!  Is there any Bpal equivalent?  Top notes of aldehydes, bergamot and pink peppercorn, heart notes of Hawthorn, lily of the valley and heliotrope, and base notes of ambrette seed, Peru balsam, sandalwood, and vanilla.  I will also search the lab's website.

•  

On 9/16/2019 at 2:21 PM, Shante You Stay said:

Lord of Misrule by lush(patchouli , Black pepper & vanilla)

Search this topic. It's been discussed previously. The consensus: there's still not an exact dupe in the BPAL catalogue.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:40 PM, torikitty said:

Search this topic. It's been discussed previously. The consensus: there's still not an exact dupe in the BPAL catalogue.

Thank so much 😊 anything with those notes I’m always trying though lol

One of my HGs is Lake and Skye 11 11 and would love to find something similar.

• Top - ozonic accord
  • Middle - amberwood, cyclamen, marine
  • Base - white musk, driftwood

Those are the notes according to Ulta, but their page says a musky blend of white ambers. It would be awesome if anyone could help a newbie out, thanks!

I’m looking for a dupe of a difficult to find perfume my grandma likes called Heaven Sent.

Going to do some researching of my own on the listings in the shop, but I thought it may be helpful to get people’s takes over here as well, since I feel like someone may have a good idea of some interesting picks to check.

Top Notes: orange blossom, mandarin orange, and bergamot

Mid Notes: rose, jasmine, and lily of the valley

Bottom Notes: musk, oakmoss, sandalwood, and patchouli

Thanks ahead of time for any potential recs!

Hi, newb here (obvs.), and hoping to find some help.

In 2009 I started following this design studio in London that designs packaging for the wine & spirits industry. Every year for Christmas though, they design some crazy extravagant gift they send out to their clients. Then they post it on their website so others can have a crack at purchasing them.

In 2013 (I think?) they designed a perfume bottle and of course, filled it with " The heady mix of luxe spirit, smoke and wood. "
Stranger & Stranger's "No 17 Eau de Stranger"

I was able to purchase a bottle, as well as five of their smaller sized samples. I literally have never felt such a deep visceral heady joy over smelling a scent as I do this one. It smells amazing on me and every time I catch a whiff of it, my serotonin jumps up. Once what they made was gone though, that was it. They have never produced more.

I am hoping BPAL has an equivalent so I can have a crack dealer some place to purchase the scent once more.

I managed to track down a nearly complete ingredient list:

Black Agarwood
Birch Tar

Balsam Fir

Absolute
Clary Sage

Oakmoss

Suede

and Black ....something. The info I tracked down left off the last bit.

Any help is very appreciated! I know it might be a long shot. I have been looking for a while now and nothing seems to come close. I've looked around on BPAL's website and have some possibilities saved to buy, but I didn't find a close match. I'm hoping I just overlooked something.

Thank you ahead of time for any possible recommendations. :)

-e

Hey all! I've done my due diligence and I'm doing my best, but I've decided to come to the experts! 

I adore Bath and Body Works' Bonfire Bash scent, from 2018 and 2019! The main scents are vanilla bourbon, creamy sandalwood (whatever that means LOL), cashmere and musk! A similar scent I like is Replica's By the Fireplace, which has vanilla accord, chestnut accord, and clove oil! I love smoky, creamy, sweet and spicy scents, and autumn and winter is the best time to find them! If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be super grateful! Thanks!

17 hours ago, biyonic said:

Hey all! I've done my due diligence and I'm doing my best, but I've decided to come to the experts! 

I adore Bath and Body Works' Bonfire Bash scent, from 2018 and 2019! The main scents are vanilla bourbon, creamy sandalwood (whatever that means LOL), cashmere and musk! A similar scent I like is Replica's By the Fireplace, which has vanilla accord, chestnut accord, and clove oil! I love smoky, creamy, sweet and spicy scents, and autumn and winter is the best time to find them! If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be super grateful! Thanks!

I've never smelled the B&BW scent you mentioned, but Unicorn & Ram springs to mind... not sure how easy it would be to find these days though.

18 hours ago, biyonic said:

I've never smelled Bonfire Bash, but I used to wear Replica's By the Fireplace fairly consistently (I've since gifted it to my mom and haven't smelled it in a close to a year, so bear with me!) so I'll give this a go even though I'm still fairly new to BPAL. A Wild and Naughty Girl (which unfortunately may be a little difficult to find) nails the smoky aspect and has a fairly prominent clove note. It does remind me a lot of BTF when layered with a vanilla scent, like Snake Oil.

I was also put in mind of Cedarwood and Smoked Vanilla, which I haven't personally sniffed, but it seems like it would fit what you're looking for. Again, I'm not sure whether you'd be able to find that, sorry!

As far as available scents, Anne Bonny, strangely enough, reminds me a little bit of BTF! I think it might be the sandalwood. Or the red patchouli? I'm still not very good at picking out individual notes. So I suppose woodsy notes, combined with a smoky vanilla note (or tobacco, which is what gives A Wild and Naughty Girls its delightful smokiness) might work? Not sure how helpful all of that is but I hope you get something from it! Good luck in your search! 

13 hours ago, neptuneanblues said:

I've never smelled the B&BW scent you mentioned, but Unicorn & Ram springs to mind... not sure how easy it would be to find these days though.

alas, U&R has both leather and oudh, neither of which work on me. :(

16 hours ago, Soupy Twist said:

alas, U&R has both leather and oudh, neither of which work on me. :(

Sorry to hear that... in my comment, I was responding to biyonic who didn't mention those constraints. I did a search for that note, and it looks like the 2 cashmere scents that have neither leather nor oudh are Right Atrium and Monk and Actor (the latter sounds closer to the non-BPAL cashmere scents described earlier, though likely more traditionally-masculine). 

My moms favorate perfume is Georgio Red. Live in Alaska and finding it is a pain in the bum. Looked up the notes. I know I have tons in my stash with some similar notes. I want to make up a little intro to bpal sample collection for her. I am hoping maybe some of y'all might help me make a list of bpal that match the notes. I am at work and can't do the research needed. 

Notes in Georgio Red:

Top: bergamot, hyacinth, cherry, orange blossom, osmanthus, peach, black currant, ylang ylang

Heart: rose, tuberose, gardenia, lychee, Lilly of the valley, carnation, iris, Jasmine, rosemary

Base: Tonka Bean, vanilla, vetiver, incense, amber, oakmoss, myrrh, patchouli, sandalwood

Wow, that's a lot going on in one concoction. I searched in the general catalog (maybe more likely in your stash?) and picked ones that share 4+ notes with Georgio Red (shared notes listed).

• Mata Hari: rose, jasmine, vanilla, tonka. 
  • Rapture: rose, myrrh, jasmine, bergamot.
  • Voodoo: myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, vanilla.
  • Fallen: sandalwood, amber, vetiver, florals.
  • Al Shairan: peach, orange, patchouli, incense.
  • Obsidian Widow: myrrh, sandalwood, patchouli, jasmine.
  • Wilde: patchouli, tonka, bergamot, moss, jasmine.
  • Les Bijoux: rose, orange blossom, peach, frankincense, myrrh.
  • Nephilim: frankincense, patchouli, vetiver, rosemary, oak moss.
  • Caterpillar: incense, carnation, jasmine, bergamot, iris, patchouli, vetiver. 
  • Vicomte de Valmont: sandalwood, orange blossom, jasmine, rose geranium, rosemary.

Any notes she's specifically averse to? Might help narrow down the search. 

Hi :) 

I want to make someone get into BPAL, and their favorite scent is Egoiste for men. I had never heard of it to be honest. Does anyone know is there is a BPAL that might be close to this? 

On 9/7/2020 at 7:14 AM, Nemi said:

Hi :) 

I want to make someone get into BPAL, and their favorite scent is Egoiste for men. I had never heard of it to be honest. Does anyone know is there is a BPAL that might be close to this? 

I would recommend Othello, it's not an exact match but it's in the ballpark.  It's a lot more rose-forward.  Egoiste is my favorite non-bpal scent.

I also tried Tristran, and Harlequin & Columbine, based on the notes I thought they might smell like Egoiste, but they don't.  I haven't encountered anything else that does but I could have missed something.  : )

19 hours ago, forspecial_plate said:

would recommend Othello, it's not an exact match but it's in the ballpark.  It's a lot more rose-forward.  Egoiste is my favorite non-bpal scent.

Thank you!

Too bad Othello is out of stock... 

34 minutes ago, forspecial_plate said:

Oh shoot, sorry, I didn't know that!  Maybe it will come back.

No problem :) I have joined the waitlist, so let's hope it returns!

I have been intermittently haunting the BPAL site for at least 10 years but have never been super big into perfume (they can give me headaches) and the catalog was overwhelming. A few years ago I tried some more mainstream houses and ended up liking the following: Ormonde Jayne's Woman (although it disappears quickly on me), Man, and Tolu, and Aesop's Tacit and Hwyl. I feel like I know what I don't like more than what I do...no gourmands or heavy florals, not sweet, not too much of the frankincense/myrrh scent, and patchouli makes me sneeze. I also don't know how to describe this, but some perfumes smell very "heavy" to me, like they catch in the back of my throat?

I do love the smell of forests, rain, the desert the ocean, and citrus. I've attempted to go through the imp-able scents (trying to limit myself to imps before looking for decants) and pick scents that I think fit these specifications (and have read the wonderful reviews on this site to help!): Aelopile, Anteros, Aperotos Eros, Azathoth, Baobhan Sith, Black Forest , Coyote, Elf, Half-elf, Fae, Fallen, Haunted, Jersey Devil, Lady of Shalott, Leanan Sidhe, Lyonesse, Oberon, Old Demons of the First Class, Robin Goodfellow, Scales of Deprivation, Tavern of Hell, Wilde, and Y'ha-nthlei. Would you steer me away from any of these or are any of them must tries?

Thank you all!

On 9/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, gingercat said:

I do love the smell of forests, rain, the desert the ocean, and citrus. I've attempted to go through the imp-able scents (trying to limit myself to imps before looking for decants) and pick scents that I think fit these specifications (and have read the wonderful reviews on this site to help!): Aelopile, Anteros, Aperotos Eros, Azathoth, Baobhan Sith, Black Forest , Coyote, Elf, Half-elf, Fae, Fallen, Haunted, Jersey Devil, Lady of Shalott, Leanan Sidhe, Lyonesse, Oberon, Old Demons of the First Class, Robin Goodfellow, Scales of Deprivation, Tavern of Hell, Wilde, and Y'ha-nthlei. Would you steer me away from any of these or are any of them must tries?

You may have seen them, but these threads had some interesting recommendations for nature scents.

https://www.bpal.org/topic/22492-the-most-natural-or-lifelike-scents/

https://www.bpal.org/topic/3325-forest-woods-scents-with-and-without-evergreens/

I'm also on the lookout for scents in those categories, and Baobhan Sith, Coyote, Jersey Devil, and Robin Goodfellow are on my to try list, as well as Lightning and Embalming Fluid.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, gingercat said:

I have been intermittently haunting the BPAL site for at least 10 years but have never been super big into perfume (they can give me headaches) and the catalog was overwhelming. A few years ago I tried some more mainstream houses and ended up liking the following: Ormonde Jayne's Woman (although it disappears quickly on me), Man, and Tolu, and Aesop's Tacit and Hwyl. I feel like I know what I don't like more than what I do...no gourmands or heavy florals, not sweet, not too much of the frankincense/myrrh scent, and patchouli makes me sneeze. I also don't know how to describe this, but some perfumes smell very "heavy" to me, like they catch in the back of my throat?

Thank you all!

You have a lot of lovely fragrances listed, but I don't know that I would think of all of them as more "natural" smells or as lighter sents. Of course, skin chemistry can make things smell very different on different folks. 

Aperatos Eros is beautiful, but it's dark, musky, and insensey. Haunted, though classic, is heavy, black musk. Demons of the First Class is also heavier, and I get a lot of red musk. All three of these are heavier, though not "perfumey," scents.  If you are wanting amber, I might suggest "The Lion" for a classic, warm amber. 

Fae, Leanan Sidhe and Tavern of Hell are both beautiful, but more floral. ToH has some prominent gardenia and Fae and Leanan Sidhe both have a misty, white musk vibe with gentle floral.  

I would probably suggest Envy over Wilde if you are wanting a more natural, herbal lavander. Wilde has a definite cologne feel to it.  If you are looking for that, Villain is another one you might be interested in. 

My suggestions for things not on your list would be - Envy, the Lion, Ogygia, Lear, Gauko, Burial, Antony, Troll, The Apothecary, Mag Mel, Tenochtitlan, Santa Eularia Des Riu, and Bruised Violet Compound (Yes, it has patchouli, but I'd still check it out if you enjoy violets.) You might well enjoy Embalming Fluid as well as other tea blends. You might also check out the Rappaccini's Garden section, as a lot of those fragrances are more green than floral. 

Edited by VetchVesper