Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Hi everyone! Sorry to be back with another “blind” scent rec question, but a friend of mine really was liking the idea of Armani Prive Oranger Alhambra except that it doesn’t seem to be available and is well out of our price point.

Any suggestions?

"Top notes are lemon, bitter orange, petitgrain and bergamot; middle notes are rosemary, jasmine and marjoram; base notes are patchouli and oakmoss."

Thanks in advance. She’s not keen on the idea of BPAL because she feels the need to smell everything first, but I’ve tried to convince her of how much better I’ve done with BPAL than even going to look for perfumes! So I thought finding something similar probably might help convert her to the BpAL!

Body Time in Berkeley is closing down so no more China Rain perfume oil. :cry2: It's a light musk with white florals and a green top note. Anyone familiar with China Rain and BPAL who has any recommendations?

It's probably been 10 years since I've smelled China Rain, so this is a stab in the dark, but Swans on the River kind of reminded me of my memory of it.

Staying at my parents' house over the weekend, I rediscovered my father's "Le Male" by Jean Paul Gaultier.

The top notes of this Jean Paul Gaultier cologne for men include fresh mint, bergamot, and lavender. The middle notes are represented by orange blossom, cinnamon, and cumin. In the base notes, you will find cedar, sandalwood, tonka bean, and vanilla to add a sweet warmth. Its spicy notes make this cologne best for winter and night wear.

What from BPAL might be similar?

Staying at my parents' house over the weekend, I rediscovered my father's "Le Male" by Jean Paul Gaultier.

The top notes of this Jean Paul Gaultier cologne for men include fresh mint, bergamot, and lavender. The middle notes are represented by orange blossom, cinnamon, and cumin. In the base notes, you will find cedar, sandalwood, tonka bean, and vanilla to add a sweet warmth. Its spicy notes make this cologne best for winter and night wear.

What from BPAL might be similar?

The masculine take on orange blossom makes me wonder about Tavern of Hell: White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

Any BPAL scents close to Aramis New West for Women?

Just saw a 2011 recommendation to layer 51 with Lightning. Anything close since 2011?

Edited by Fiam

Any near equivalents to Tom Ford's "Grey Vetiver"?

According to http://parfumplusmag.fourplusmedia.com/colin-firth-prefers-tom-ford-perfumes/ theseare the notes:

Olfactory Notes of Grey Vetiver

Top : Grapefruit, Orange Blossom, Sage

Heart : Nutmeg, Orris Root, Pimento

Base : Vetiver, Woodsy Notes, Amber, Oakmoss

(I'm just such a noob on perfumes that I don't feel confident that I could search the BPAL and succeed here, so thank you in advance for taking pity on me!)

i hope this was the right place for this!

can you describe qualities or notes that stand out to you? i find usually if you put forth a commercial scent and then try to match the notes with a BPAL, you'll get very different results, whereas if you can say what stands out and appeals, like, "i smell mostly the vetiver and oakmoss and it's masculine and woodsy and sensual, etc" it's easier to go, "ohh, try Nephilim!"

Ok I finally got a chance to smell this and I FELL IN LOVE with it on the paper/on me wet - but once it dries I get this fuzzy halo of headache inducing perfume scent I’m assuming is the vetiver? So - as someone who doesn’t understand scents very well - I guess I’m looking for a citrus scent that isn’t too sweet or fresh? Like it’s citrus but it has no chance of smelling like cleanser? It has more depth than most citrus? Does that help actually get a better rec? (I’m not about to pay $88 for something that gave me a headache when NOTHING I have tried from BPAL has given me a headache EVER and I’d rather give my business to BPAL anyway. But I really really did just keep walking around sniffing the paper with Grey Vetivier in the store because it was THAT fab on paper. :( sigh.)

Any recommendations for scents similar to Lush's Karma or Rose Jam? Preferably GC

For Rose Jam suggestions, you might want to check out the Rose Apologist Thread and this thread of rose recommendations. I've seen multiple people compare Hope from the Carnival Diabolique to Rose Jam (though you'd have to try and find a bottle via the sales/swap pages if you want just Hope on its own, because the Lab only sells it as part of a set with Faith), and The Best Lies from the American Gods line also struck me as similar.

My favorite regular GC rose is Jezebel, but it's heavy on the orange blossom and sandalwood and not much like Rose Jam.

Any recommendations for scents similar to Lush's Karma or Rose Jam? Preferably GC

I'd suggest searching in this whole topic of Lush comparisons. I did a search within the topic on "rose jam" (using the quotations) and there were several results. It would be even easier to search that topic for Karma since that is just one word!

My personal GC suggestion for Rose Jam would be Spellbound, but YMMV. :)

For Rose Jam suggestions, you might want to check out the Rose Apologist Thread and this thread of rose recommendations. I've seen multiple people compare Hope from the Carnival Diabolique to Rose Jam (though you'd have to try and find a bottle via the sales/swap pages if you want just Hope on its own, because the Lab only sells it as part of a set with Faith), and The Best Lies from the American Gods line also struck me as similar.

My favorite regular GC rose is Jezebel, but it's heavy on the orange blossom and sandalwood and not much like Rose Jam.

Oh cool, I've been eyeing Hope & Faith for a while so the fact that Hope is similar is good news for me

Thank you for the suggestions :)

I'd suggest searching in this whole topic of Lush comparisons. I did a search within the topic on "rose jam" (using the quotations) and there were several results. It would be even easier to search that topic for Karma since that is just one word!

My personal GC suggestion for Rose Jam would be Spellbound, but YMMV. :)

I didn't know about that topic, tysm!

Sooo... has anyone smelled anything similar from BPAL that smells like Jo Malone’s Pomegranate Noir?

Ruby-rich juices of pomegranate, raspberry and plum are spiked with pink pepper and laced with Casablanca lily and spicy woods. Dark and enigmatic.

I have Mme Moriarty and Dionysia but JM is different... more spicey...

Sooo... has anyone smelled anything similar from BPAL that smells like Jo Malone’s Pomegranate Noir?Ruby-rich juices of pomegranate, raspberry and plum are spiked with pink pepper and laced with Casablanca lily and spicy woods. Dark and enigmatic.

I think I have a sample of that somewhere around here. I'll try to hunt it down and try it again.

Edit: I found my sample of Pomegranate Noir, and I'm wearing it now. This is a tough one! I smell equal parts fruit and wood, with some patchouli as well.

Dionysia seems like such a close match with the notes. I just put some on, from a very aged decant from the original release, and I think it's more fruity. I kind of see what you mean about PM being spicier.

For the wood part, I keep thinking of Dee. But Dee doesn't have any fruit, so on its own, that wouldn't do it.

I'm also thinking of Masquerade, for the patchouli part. But - again - no fruit in Masquerade. Maybe layered with Baneberry?

I can't remember if I've tried Oberon, but I I keep thinking of it, so I should mention it. Might be a stretch. But since it's GC, might be worth a try.

Pepper has pink pepper and crushed berries.....and lots of other stuff.

Red (Fraggle Rock) has spicy pink pepper and red currant, might be worth a try.

Sorry I haven't tried these last 3 so I don't actually know - I hope you find something!

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Sooo... has anyone smelled anything similar from BPAL that smells like Jo Malone’s Pomegranate Noir?

Ruby-rich juices of pomegranate, raspberry and plum are spiked with pink pepper and laced with Casablanca lily and spicy woods. Dark and enigmatic.

I haven't tried Pomegranite Noir, but I have tried Mme Moriarty and Dionysia. Based on what you and Forspecial Plate said, I might suggest

Abduction of Proserpine - White sandalwood, black currant, and pomegranate. I remember it being a dark, woody pomegranate.

The Robe of Pomegranates is still in stock, and I would think the carnation might give you a spice similar to pink pepper, and the honey might be sweet enough to give a lily like vibe. Just a guess though. RofP notes are - ripe red pomegranate and bakhoor oudh, honeyed incense, fig and ambrette seed, sandalwood and carnation. I haven't tried this one though.

Perhaps 2006: Fruit Phoenix? Snake Oil with Schwarzer Mond’s terebinth, a swish of Krampus’ switches, black currant, pomelo, and chthonic black pomegranate. It was very pomegranity on me, and there was some dark woodiness and patch from the SO.

The Fruit of Paradise - The Fruit of Paradise, the Nectar of Death: bittersweet pomegranate. This was the most strait up fruity on me, but was still a darker version of pomegranate.

These are all dark, pomegranate heavy scents.

Pepper is lovely, but I would say it's a fresh floral. Not much fruit. Red is very bright and sort of dry/effervescent fruit punchy. Of course, your experience b/c of chemistry may vary.

P.S. There have been some pomegranate releases, much like the pumpkin patch and bobbing for apples during previous weenie seasons. You might look through those for similar notes. Some of them might even be on the Etsy website. I think some were a while back.

Edited by VetchVesper

Thanks lovelies!

Fruit Phoenix probably comes closest but unfortunately the pom in it went to candle on me, much like September Midnight. Unfortunately I think Ive tried most of the suggestions but none come close sadly (on my skin).

The JM scent is so odd... to me it has almost a mentholic vibe and when you sniff closer, its sweet and reminds me of lipstick. Its slso fresh and festive to me but without smelling like a candle. Its quite interesting and so so nice!

Edited by Nymph87

Pomegranate Snake Oil or Pomegranate Morocco might do the trick, from the current Weenies.

The other suggestion I have is pretty hard to find these days - Hymn to Proserpine, a discontinued GC. It is pretty close to the Jo Malone.

In my quest of converting friends and family to BPAL, I've been given the task to find a sutible replacement to Clinique Aromatics Elixir. It seems to have so many notes to it, I don't know where to start! Plus, I can't recall if I've ever smelled it. So, I'm coming to you, community. Help a girl out!

Here's a note list I found:

"Top notes: Bergamot, green notes, coriander, rosewood, aldehyde, palmarosa (a rose-scented species of lemongrass also called Indian geranium)

Heart notes: Rose de Mai, jasmine, carnation, ylang-ylang, tuberose, orris

Base notes: Patchouli, vetiver, civet, sandalwood, oakmoss, cistus, musk"

Pomegranate Snake Oil or Pomegranate Morocco might do the trick, from the current Weenies.

The other suggestion I have is pretty hard to find these days - Hymn to Proserpine, a discontinued GC. It is pretty close to the Jo Malone.

Another interesting pom is 7 Word Story: Lust, which is fresh in my mind because I'm wearing it today. :laugh: I don't know if it'll be at all similar to the Jo Malone, but on me it's a really juicy pom with sort of a clean incense note hanging around.

I would love to find something which smells like Tokyo Milk Dark Bittersweet. It was discontinued, and I'd just as soon find something in the BPAL realm to replace it. Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, QueenofKings said:

I would love to find something which smells like Tokyo Milk Dark Bittersweet. It was discontinued, and I'd just as soon find something in the BPAL realm to replace it. Any suggestions?

I have no ideas myself, but I'd love to hear some.  That and Bulletproof are/were two of my sister's favorites.

Hey all! Looking for something similar to the discontinued Joan by Sweet Anthem. Notes are beeswax, coriander, peony, tomato leaf, and white mint. I'm a bit new to BPAL, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated. :) 

Is there anything similar to Bath and Body Works "A Thousand Wishes" (Pink Prosecco, Sparkling Quince, Crystal Peonies, Gilded Amber, Amaretto Crème)?

On 8/29/2018 at 1:17 PM, monocainsheresy said:

Masquerade smells very much like Karma!

My daughter just fell in love with and promptly spilled my entire bottle of 2012 Atrocious Attic.  It's been so long since I've collected BPAL and I'm no longer familiar with the scents...does anyone else love this one, and have a BPAL scent that is similar?

Here are the notes:

A shadowy shrine filled with forgotten toys, broken dolls. The altar: a collapsing trunk distended by a rotted wedding gown. The air of the room is dusty, laced with the scent of a child's perfume and the remnants of a dried, crumbling bridal bouquet: tea rose, violet, white sandalwood, French lavender, and Calla lily.

Thanks!

Lesley

Hi all, I'm new to BPAL but I'd love to find some scents available in imps that would match or suit my two favorite perfume loves.

Long time love is L'eau de Issey (Issey Miyake). To me it's watery and softly floral.

Notes are:

L'Eau d'Issey is an aquatic floral scent with transparent notes of lotus, freesia and cyclamen and juicy melon. The middle note of peony, lily and carnation reveals the perfume's character. The end note is a refined woody scent with the notes of cedar, sandal, musk and amber.

Newer love is Saint (Kat Von D). It's sweet and floral on me but not... too sweet? Or too heavily floral? I suck at describing scents. Notes are:

Top notes are clary sage and mirabelle; middle notes are jasmine, almond blossom and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are vanilla, cedar, peach and musk.

Does anyone know of a bpal scent that resembles the fragrance of the Brazilian bum bum cream? A friend got me hooked on it recently, and it’s way different than what I usually gravitate towards, but it’s really yummy for the summer. I would love to find a bpal equivalent. 

FRAGRANCE NOTES

Top: pistachio, almond

Mid: heliotrope, jasmine petals

Dry: vanilla, salted caramel, sandalwood