Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Is there a GC scent with a genuine Sakura note? The cherry that comes from almond oil doesn't play well with my skin, but I would love a cherry *blossom* note!

Have you tried Kyoto?

I have not! Thank you for the suggestion. The "anise" note scares me, but it sounds imp worthy!

Anise is definitely there but it is easy to get and test. Aizen-Myoo is easily accessible but I can't recall how much Cherry blossoms are apparent, maybe check reviews?

Other, less easy to find bpal perfumes with Sakura (but check reviews because for most of these other florals or notes are prominent and could be problematic) include Little Sister is Watching You, Hanami***, Lantern Ghost of Oiwa, Fox Woman Kuzunoha Leaving Her Child, Drum Bridge and Yuhi Hill at Meguro, First Cry of the Warbler on the Plum, Night Snow at Kambara, Voyeurs Among the Cherry Blossoms, The Elephant's Leash, Jingu, There is a Garden in Her Face, Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree, Dragon Moon 06, the Phoenix in Spring, Aphrogenes, and the Instructional Manual.

Hanami is pretty much the best Sakura scent I've found but it is getting harder to locate..

There are recommended scents in the Cherry Blossoms thread under the Recommendations section, but I summarized. Sorry, I'm on iPad and don't know how to make a link...

Woah, thank you! ♥ I have an imp of Aizen-Myoo, I will give that one a test this weekend! And now I have a bunch more scents to add to my research. I feel like I have fallen down a very expensive rabbit hole lol

If you are interested in branching out to other brands, asking for recommendations on the OCYL (other companies you love) thread may help you find your perfect Sakura scent. They are very helpful and friendly there.

Is there a GC scent with a genuine Sakura note? The cherry that comes from almond oil doesn't play well with my skin, but I would love a cherry *blossom* note!

Little Sister is Watching You from the Kabuki GC collection - electric, aldehydic cherry blossom

I think that's the only other Cherry Blossom scent from the GC, other than Kyoto and Aizen-Myoo which Sprout already mentioned.

ETA: And if you decide you want to delve into LE's, here's a thread of Cherry Blossom recs - http://www.bpal.org/topic/58560-cherry-blossom/?p=1505313

Edited by LizziesLuck

If i like beyond paradise from estee lauder what should i try?

I found the following description for it Blue Hyacinth and Orange Flower Templar blend with Laelia Orchid and Crepe Jasmin, warmed with Zebrano Wood. does that sound accurate? I've never tried it.

Based on those notes I immediately think of a fairly recent LE from the Trading Post Do The Dancing Maidens Sleep hyacinth and snow-dusted honeysuckle, sweet with asphodel and honeyed vetiver. Hyacinth doesn't come up a lot and it was strong in this scent.

Haven't tried it, but Dawn: Mourning Victory sounds like it might be similar? Red sandalwood, night-blooming jasmine, white tea, hyacinth, rosehips, and tuberose.

Maybe Egle Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.?

Hopefully someone who has tried it can maybe suggest something.

I found the following description for it Blue Hyacinth and Orange Flower Templar blend with Laelia Orchid and Crepe Jasmin, warmed with Zebrano Wood. does that sound accurate? I've never tried it.

Based on those notes I immediately think of a fairly recent LE from the Trading Post Do The Dancing Maidens Sleep hyacinth and snow-dusted honeysuckle, sweet with asphodel and honeyed vetiver. Hyacinth doesn't come up a lot and it was strong in this scent.

Haven't tried it, but Dawn: Mourning Victory sounds like it might be similar? Red sandalwood, night-blooming jasmine, white tea, hyacinth, rosehips, and tuberose.

Maybe Egle Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.?

Hopefully someone who has tried it can maybe suggest something.

Thank you!! I'm super excited because i actually just ordered an imp of egle, so i will let you know if you were right. Def adding the other two to the wishlist.

I think the Zieba Tree comes close, but other scents that may be similar in theme:

Mermaid (Liliths)

Avunculus

Wembley (Fraggle)

Tweedledee

Santa Eularia

Harlequin

Humanite

Is there anything like 4711 cologne, or Tom Ford Neroli Portofino? These smell identical on my skin, so I can't see the point in spending TF money but 4711 has no longevity. I think the key notes in both are neroli and bergamot, but the end result is a unisex, bordering on masculine, cologne with a slightly medicinal edge (to be honest, they both smell exactly like Savlon antiseptic cream to me - I just happen to love the smell of Savlon!).

Edited by KatyC

Is there anything like 4711 cologne, or Tom Ford Neroli Portofino? These smell identical on my skin, so I can't see the point in spending TF money but 4711 has no longevity. I think the key notes in both are neroli and bergamot, but the end result is a unisex, bordering on masculine, cologne with a slightly medicinal edge (to be honest, they both smell exactly like Savlon antiseptic cream to me - I just happen to love the smell of Savlon!).

A Commentary*, A Sublime Beauty*, Caterpillar, Croquet (no neroli in this one, but still could produce a very similar vibe based on your overall description), Desire, Phaon Crescent*, Spider (no neroli, but orange, and overall fairly unisex to masculine), Titus Andronicus, Transeo (no neroli, but has orange and veers masculine), Zephyr

*not currently Lab-available

@LizziesLuck, i would say Egle comes damn close! It does also smell somewhat watery. I love it. @Sprout, I'm trying to track down Mermaid, I'll let you know

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

I searched the thread and couldn't find any real mention of it, so here goes. Have any of you smelt a BPAL similar to Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue?

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers (Yule 2009 blend) reminds me quite a bit of Light Blue. Ebisu Making Love As Two Octopuses Look On (Lupercalia 2008) also has a similar feel for me.

My sister loves D&G's Light Blue, and these suggestions are super hard to find. Is there anything in the GC that would be similar? From the website, top, heart and base notes:

Invigorating Sicilian cedar melds with the crisp vibrancy of apple and the guileless charm of the bluebell, to evoke the essence of a South Italian summer

The freshness of bamboo nestles amid a glorious feminine bouquet of decadent jasmine and delicate white rose.

Redolent citron wood is entwined with voluptuous amber and a suggestive caress of musk..

Thanks!

I have a friend that I just got into bpal a few weeks ago asking if there is a perfume similar to the Bath & Body Works American Girl LE perfume, Truly Me? The star bottle if anyone remembers!

The notes are: vibrant blend of fresh gardenia, sparkling pear, and sweet jasmine.

Edited by PersimmonSeeds

While it isn't a perfume.

Does anyone know of a bpal that smells like Bath n Body work''s

Hands off My Honey?

"A sweet-as-honey blend of royal cinnamon, apple blossom & a kiss of golden honey."

From my phone, this thread looked to be the closest for my request.

Thanks for reading it over and extra thanks if you know of something!

Well, Dwarven Ale is the only one that I could find with all 3 notes: cinnamon, honey, and apple. It will probably depend on how prominent the pumpkin note in it.

Last year had Honeyed Apple. Maybe mix with a Apple Cinnamon one like one of the Apple Cider ones or try Cinnamon Apple Cookie.

Any near equivalents to Tom Ford's "Grey Vetiver"?

According to http://parfumplusmag.fourplusmedia.com/colin-firth-prefers-tom-ford-perfumes/ theseare the notes:

Olfactory Notes of Grey Vetiver

Top : Grapefruit, Orange Blossom, Sage

Heart : Nutmeg, Orris Root, Pimento

Base : Vetiver, Woodsy Notes, Amber, Oakmoss

(I'm just such a noob on perfumes that I don't feel confident that I could search the BPAL and succeed here, so thank you in advance for taking pity on me!)

i hope this was the right place for this!

Any near equivalents to Tom Ford's "Grey Vetiver"?

According to http://parfumplusmag.fourplusmedia.com/colin-firth-prefers-tom-ford-perfumes/ theseare the notes:

Olfactory Notes of Grey Vetiver

Top : Grapefruit, Orange Blossom, Sage

Heart : Nutmeg, Orris Root, Pimento

Base : Vetiver, Woodsy Notes, Amber, Oakmoss

(I'm just such a noob on perfumes that I don't feel confident that I could search the BPAL and succeed here, so thank you in advance for taking pity on me!)

i hope this was the right place for this!

can you describe qualities or notes that stand out to you? i find usually if you put forth a commercial scent and then try to match the notes with a BPAL, you'll get very different results, whereas if you can say what stands out and appeals, like, "i smell mostly the vetiver and oakmoss and it's masculine and woodsy and sensual, etc" it's easier to go, "ohh, try Nephilim!"

can you describe qualities or notes that stand out to you? i find usually if you put forth a commercial scent and then try to match the notes with a BPAL, you'll get very different results, whereas if you can say what stands out and appeals, like, "i smell mostly the vetiver and oakmoss and it's masculine and woodsy and sensual, etc" it's easier to go, "ohh, try Nephilim!"

I should have been clearer - this isn't a favorite so much as one I'm curious about - but non-bpal fragrances tend to bother me, so I'm kind of leery of even spending $10 on a sample of it online, when I'd much prefer something BPAL anyway... (ok ok, I cannot tell a lie, i just stumbled on two websites saying Colin Firth likes/wears it...lol!)

I should have been clearer - this isn't a favorite so much as one I'm curious about - but non-bpal fragrances tend to bother me, so I'm kind of leery of even spending $10 on a sample of it online, when I'd much prefer something BPAL anyway... (ok ok, I cannot tell a lie, i just stumbled on two websites saying Colin Firth likes/wears it...lol!)

ohh, gotcha! i find my recommendations based on notes aren't always super accurate, but for the scents i'm familiar with i can usually give recommendations, but on this one i would be shooting in the dark. it sounds like it would be sooo sexy in bpal form, though! maybe Croquet, Cheshire Cat, Wilde, Marquis de Sade, or Crowley?

my friend has asked me to find her a substitute for this perfume: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Le-Couvent-des-Minimes/Cologne-of-the-Missions-18811.html

notes are vanilla, centella asiatica, myrrh, benzoin, camellia, and virginia cedar

first of all, i didnt even know centella was used in perfumes!

i'm going to recommend she check out Snake Oil, The Small Brown Cat, and Bast. does anyone else have any suggestions? TIA! <3

I'm looking for a BPAL perfume that smells like the peach body butter The Body Shop used to make in the 90's. It is a juicy ripe peach with a slightly creamy undertones. Any recommendations?

Edited by VioletVorpal

I'm looking for a BPAL perfume that smells like the peach body butter The Body Shop used to make in the 90's. It is a juicy ripe peach with a slightly creamy undertones. Any recommendations?

I never tried the body butter, but maybe Tamora?

Vial of Holy Water is very close to Kilian's Forbidden Games.

I'm side by side testing now.

Body Time in Berkeley is closing down so no more China Rain perfume oil. :cry2: It's a light musk with white florals and a green top note. Anyone familiar with China Rain and BPAL who has any recommendations?