Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Anything similar to the 1955 perfume Intimate? Here's a description:

"Intimate by Revlon was launched in 1955 as a distinctly sexy floral - animalistic chypre fragrance. It opens with crystalline notes of aldehydes, bergamot, rose, coriander and gardenia, leading to the sensual heart of jasmine, iris root, sandalwood, cedar and patchouli and the wild base of castoreum, civet, musk, amber and oak moss."

My mom's grandma used to wear it and she was talking about it the other day.

Thanks!

Anything similar to the 1955 perfume Intimate? Here's a description:

"Intimate by Revlon was launched in 1955 as a distinctly sexy floral - animalistic chypre fragrance. It opens with crystalline notes of aldehydes, bergamot, rose, coriander and gardenia, leading to the sensual heart of jasmine, iris root, sandalwood, cedar and patchouli and the wild base of castoreum, civet, musk, amber and oak moss."

My mom's grandma used to wear it and she was talking about it the other day.

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular fragrance but reading the description/notes I instantly thought of Lady Death Savage (not sure if that perfume name would interest your mom though!) The notes are: White musk, grey amber, Calabrian bergamot, vanilla absolute, French labdanum, styrax, wormwood, caraway, and bois de jasmin.

I love Elizabeth and James Nirvana Bourbon and Tokyo Milk Tainted Love. Looking for stuff that are similar!

I think you might be my scent twin! Right now I'm layering Smut and Midway...I suspect you would love that combo--though Midway is terribly hard to find. I also love the Vanilla single note, and you can layer that with anything boozy for a similar effect. Keep me posted on anything cool you discover, because I'm pretty sure I would love it too. :wub3:

If you like By Kilian's Beyond Love, try Humanite! Though they are of course not exact, the way the tuberose is used is appealingly similar.

Hello,

I'm looking for Bpals that remind me of anything similar to Egoïste from Chanel but the very first version ? (my bottle dates of 1990) Here's a description:

Head : Tangerine, Rose Wood, Coriander
Heart : Turkish rose, Carnation, Cinnamon

Base : New Caledonia Sandalwood, Madagascar Vanilla and ambrette

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Forgive me if this one has been mentioned before. This is a very long thread to read through!

There was a scent that Hot Topic used to carry back in the day. I believe it was an Amy Brown Fairy based one called 'Fire Dance', or 'Fire Dancer', something of that nature. it was many, many years ago, but I held onto the bottle for quite some time because it was so warm and spicy, but not at all harsh or masculine. Morocco reminds me of it a little, though I seem to recall 'Fire Dance' having more clove or cinnamon perhaps, something else sharp in it that Morocco lacks a little, but the sweetness and depth is nearly the same.

Has anyone any suggestions for what might come close?

Slyvanestra - I vaguely remember my cousin having the prettiest bottles of the Amy Brown Faery perfumes! That's a throw back I wasn't expecting today. I don't rememebr Fire dance specifically but if you're looking to add some heat to it I would totally try to layer it with Bengal! (skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger)

Also!

To anyone that may be looking: Bathing in Cold Water Atmosphere Spray smells very similar Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture. They both have a gorgeous, strong, musky Tunerose note! Side by side there is an obvious difference as the wisteria in Bathing In Cold Water is prominent and Juicy Couture has a bit of sweetness to it. Otherwise they are pretty much sisters!

Edited by PersimmonSeeds

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know of an oil that is similar to Juliette Has A Gun's not a Perfume? I recently got a sample of this stuff and it's absolutely gorgeous, but my skin just eats the stuff and only lasts but a few minutes. I can't justify the hefty $100+ price tag if I have to slather myself in it (I'd rather wear Bpal anyway!)

It is a single note perfume that is apparently just cetalox and nothing else. I've contemplated buying come cetalox and dissolving it in some everclear on the stove to make my own dupe, but I am very clumsy and definitely not a chemist, and don't want to risk burning the house down!

I recently got a sample of this stuff and it's absolutely gorgeous, but my skin just eats the stuff and only lasts but a few minutes.

have you tried it in a locket? That's the only way I can wear some citrus and tea oils, because otherwise they vaporize in 15 minutes.

I recently got a sample of this stuff and it's absolutely gorgeous, but my skin just eats the stuff and only lasts but a few minutes.

have you tried it in a locket? That's the only way I can wear some citrus and tea oils, because otherwise they vaporize in 15 minutes.

That's a great idea, but I hate hate hate wearing necklaces! Perhaps they make scent locket bracelets or rings?? I'll have to look into that....

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know of an oil that is similar to Juliette Has A Gun's not a Perfume? I recently got a sample of this stuff and it's absolutely gorgeous, but my skin just eats the stuff and only lasts but a few minutes. I can't justify the hefty $100+ price tag if I have to slather myself in it (I'd rather wear Bpal anyway!)

It is a single note perfume that is apparently just cetalox and nothing else. I've contemplated buying come cetalox and dissolving it in some everclear on the stove to make my own dupe, but I am very clumsy and definitely not a chemist, and don't want to risk burning the house down!

Single Note Ambergris is close, not that it is easy to find but I have seen it for sale here and Facebook sales.

Y'Ha Nthlei has extra notes but I like it and find it a kissing cousin to SN Ambergris...

HTH

Slyvanestra - I vaguely remember my cousin having the prettiest bottles of the Amy Brown Faery perfumes! That's a throw back I wasn't expecting today. I don't rememebr Fire dance specifically but if you're looking to add some heat to it I would totally try to layer it with Bengal! (skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger)

Also!

To anyone that may be looking: Bathing in Cold Water Atmosphere Spray smells very similar Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture. They both have a gorgeous, strong, musky Tunerose note! Side by side there is an obvious difference as the wisteria in Bathing In Cold Water is prominent and Juicy Couture has a bit of sweetness to it. Otherwise they are pretty much sisters!

Oooh, that is a fantastic idea! I will have to put that on my list for my next purchase, especially if it's as spicy as all of the reviews seem to say. I love that kind of heat and spice to scents, they just punch everything up so nicely. Thank you, kind Persimmon!

That's a great idea, but I hate hate hate wearing necklaces! Perhaps they make scent locket bracelets or rings?? I'll have to look into that....

I have seen bracelets and rings around, for sure!

Edited by slyvanestra

Single Note Ambergris is close, not that it is easy to find but I have seen it for sale here and Facebook sales.

Y'Ha Nthlei has extra notes but I like it and find it a kissing cousin to SN Ambergris...

HTH

I literally JUST bought a bottle of Ambergris over the weekend from someone here on the forum - I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on some Y'Ha Nthlei too, thank you for the suggestions!

HTH

I literally JUST bought a bottle of Ambergris over the weekend from someone here on the forum - I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on some Y'Ha Nthlei too, thank you for the suggestions!

Any time

Anything similar to Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black?

i can't think of any that are super similar in the sense that you would mistake one for the other or anything like that - the most similar i can think of is Ava, but she goes for quite a lot on the secondhand market when she pops up. but, i can tell you that i love Nirvana Black - it's one of the very, very few commercial scents i wear ever - and reach for the following BPALs in similar moods (* = general catalog or currently available LE):

Ava

Madame Moriarty*

Le Serpent Qui Danse*

Festival Orgy (this isn't currently Lab-available, but it was a 2017 Luper and they JUST came down, so you could probably find it secondhand fairly easily)

Belle Epoque*

Lady Death: Savage*

Mrs. Valentine

Time Does Not Bring Relief

Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending

ones that i either didn't keep or didn't try, but which have the right notes to potentially create a Nirvana Black vibe for someone else depending on chemistry:

Fairy Thorn

Fleurette's Purple Snails

The Magpie

The Mist-World

The Raven*

The Sorceress

Veil*

I'm gathering up as many BPAL rose scents as I can, but so far I haven't found one similar to Diptyque's L'Ombre dans l'Eau - which is the same scent as their Baies candle (if anyone has the same candle addiction as me...).

Diptyque describe it as follows:

- Blackcurrant leaves, Bulgarian roses -

Reminiscent of a walk in an English garden, filled with Bulgarian rose petals and leaves of the blackcurrant bush. The scent of sap graciously freshens up this idyllic and rural escapade.

I'd describe it as a wet, green rose; not earthy but really just like walking through a rose garden after a heavy downpour. I can't identify actual blackcurrant in the scent, so it's not fruity.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Edited by KatyC

I'm gathering up as many BPAL rose scents as I can, but so far I haven't found one similar to Diptyque's L'Ombre dans l'Eau - which is the same scent as their Baies candle (if anyone has the same candle addiction as me...).

Diptyque describe it as follows:

- Blackcurrant leaves, Bulgarian roses -

Reminiscent of a walk in an English garden, filled with Bulgarian rose petals and leaves of the blackcurrant bush. The scent of sap graciously freshens up this idyllic and rural escapade.

I'd describe it as a wet, green rose; not earthy but really just like walking through a rose garden after a heavy downpour. I can't identify actual blackcurrant in the scent, so it's not fruity.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Chuparosa is fresh, airy, rain-washed roses on me to start out with, but some honeysuckle and, like, honey or amber or something also come into play later. I find it lovely, but from what I can tell Chuparosa is one of those blends that reeeeeeally depends on your skin chemistry.

Othello is a light, summery rose on me, but if you amp musky or spicy notes this might not be the case for you.

La Belle Au Bois Dormant is a very wet rose. The greenery is a little lighter than what you're looking for, maybe, but it really does bring to mind a princess bringing a bouquet of dew-covered roses into her house.

Does anyone have any recs for something that smells similar to Johan B's Merveille?

According to fragrantica it's: a Floral Fruity fragrance for women. Top notes are bergamot, black currant and pear; middle notes are plum, lily-of-the-valley and passion flower; base notes are amber, sandalwood and cedar.

Chuparosa is fresh, airy, rain-washed roses on me to start out with, but some honeysuckle and, like, honey or amber or something also come into play later. I find it lovely, but from what I can tell Chuparosa is one of those blends that reeeeeeally depends on your skin chemistry.

Othello is a light, summery rose on me, but if you amp musky or spicy notes this might not be the case for you.

La Belle Au Bois Dormant is a very wet rose. The greenery is a little lighter than what you're looking for, maybe, but it really does bring to mind a princess bringing a bouquet of dew-covered roses into her house.

Belated thanks for this! Chuparosa and La Belle... sound very promising and I'll give Othello a try too - although I definitely amp musky notes.

I'm still trying to get the man hooked on bpal. He fell in love with Mr. Burberry recently.

Note description says: It opens with zesty accords of grapefruit, cardamom and tarragon. The heart notes include birch leaf, nutmeg oil and cedar, followed by the base of sandalwood, vetiver and guaiac wood.

Can anyone think of anything similar? I'm thinking possibly Azathoth? Death on a Pale Horse? Spider?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by SunsetKay

I'm still trying to get the man hooked on bpal. He fell in love with Mr. Burberry recently.

Note description says: It opens with zesty accords of grapefruit, cardamom and tarragon. The heart notes include birch leaf, nutmeg oil and cedar, followed by the base of sandalwood, vetiver and guaiac wood.

Can anyone think of anything similar? I'm thinking possibly Azathoth? Death on a Pale Horse? Spider?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Crowley, Cheshire Cat, Antikythera Mechanism

Is there a GC scent with a genuine Sakura note? The cherry that comes from almond oil doesn't play well with my skin, but I would love a cherry *blossom* note!

Is there a GC scent with a genuine Sakura note? The cherry that comes from almond oil doesn't play well with my skin, but I would love a cherry *blossom* note!

Have you tried Kyoto?

Have you tried Kyoto?

I have not! Thank you for the suggestion. The "anise" note scares me, but it sounds imp worthy!