Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

"A man’s scent. Bay rum, spiked with graveyard dirt, gunpowder, a touch of leather and a ring of salt, with an overtone of masculine musk."

I discovered this perfume through a friend, and they graciously gave me half their small amount of perfume! I fell in love with this soft manly perfume, and have been looking for it's equivalent for AGES, to no avail. Unfortunately, the perfumer who used to make this perfume closed their shop for good.

If anyone knows of a good BPAL scent that could possible be its equivalent, please let me know! I'm begging you!

The notes to this perfume are quoted above, but I find that when I smell it, it also has a slight minty/eucalyptus smell as well. IT could be because it's been aged at least a year or two. . . The rum leather and salt seem to be the most prominent notes however.

Thank you for reading and thank you if you can help!

I have a feeling your question should be in this thread, but if so a mod will move it. :)

You could try The Marquis de Carabas from the general catalogue, A splash of bay rum, leather, dusty black wool, massoia bark, and opium residue.

or maybe Cyborg Gleaming metal and black leather over a khus-darkened bay rum.

Jolly Roger is salty rum and leather Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods

That was all I could find that are leather and bay rum combined. Hope you find something that works for you!

I know there was one recommendation from 2009, but there have been a lot of releases and updates- so I was wondering if anyone has since found a BPAL scent that resembles Marc Jacobs' Daisy? (both in its "freshness" and scent - which ..well..has no daisy per se haha). It's one of the only citrus perfumes I can wear and I amp the Blood Grapefruit and Gardenia (and some other white floral wasn't listed in its notes)

Hello, everyone!

I am looking for new summer scents to try, and I have a favourite imp from Violette Market that has somewhat inspired what I am hoping to find. Sadly, I haven't been able to ever obtain a full size of it, and I hope BPAL has something similar. It is called "Lisbon Seaport," and it features notes of dark vanilla, black coffee, red wine, golden patchouli, espresso beans, black pepper and blackberries. On my skin, it has the pirate vibe I am searching for without being starkly ocean-scented. However, I am definitely not opposed to something with stereotypical pirate/mermaid/ocean notes as well, as long as the gourmand notes remain- particularly chocolate, honey and/or vanilla.

I feel like this is a rather obscure description, but I hope it might give someone a few ideas!

I am also on the hunt for a "Tiki Goddess" perfume- reminiscent of Hawaii or tropical islands. I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Thank you so much!

Off hand, I can't think of anything..however, if you go to the Lab's website, at the top, in the directory, you can search their expansive list of notes. Click on one and it will bring up BPAL scents (past and present) that has said note in it. At least that way you can see if something comes close to what you are looking for. Hope this helps! :)

Edit to add next to the notes, are themed and character scents as well!

Edited by Numanoid

You might try layering two different scents.
My first thought for "piratey" is always Mary Read: salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder. It's an unexpectedly pretty scent with a definite pirate vibe, and based on what you said you're looking for, I'd definitely recommend it!

To get that gourmand factor, you could layer Mary Read with...

Bliss: pure milk chocolate
Snake Oil: exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla
Eat Me: three white cakes, vanilla, red & black currants
Miskatonic University: Irish coffee, dusty tomes, and polished oakwood halls
El Dia de los Reyes (a recurring limited edition scent at Yule time, not too hard to track down) : hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar
Boomslang: Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk
O: Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla

Edited by kajacana

Given that the target blend has all those great notes plus a dark berry / fruit, I totally rec that you try Mme Moriarty!!! You might really like it. And maybe Anactoria, Blood Kiss, and Lampades.

Hmm. Ok. I love doing this so bear with me..my brain bizarrely retains most of the black phoenix library, which I pull like dewey decimal cards... I'm glad to make it into useful knowledge occasionally...

Don't ask me to remember where I parked my car in a large lot. I won't know. But quiz me on the notes of bpal scents and I'll get an A+. Weeeiiirrrddd...

I would suggest the following..crossing over from pirate to tiki:

Santo Domingo:An exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms.

Caliban: (sorry I know there's a marine accord but I thought it was most relevant) The scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns.

Hetairae: (one of my faves!): A seductive and dazzling blend of golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang.

Mary Read (I know.. another aquatic..but trust me.. its awesome!): Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

Boomslang: Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk. (ungh!)

Goblin: Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin. (hey..why not. Feral tiki goddess, eh?)

Eden: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

Elegba: His ofrenda contains coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum.

Obatala: (smells like coconut suntan lotion but fresher) Obatala’s ofrenda is soft, white and pure: milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool, refreshing water.

Shango: (one of my fav banana tropical scents!!) The Master of Lightning’s ofrenda contains red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane.

harder to find:

The Initiation: (lupers 2016. It rules!!) Red wine and vanilla pod infused with caramel, peach, tobacco flower, and coconut.

Tiki Princess: I second it... Its good stuff.

Check out the old Atomic Luau Lounge collection. Tons of tropical cocktails! Should be relatively easy to find on the sales pages, here.

ETA:

Oh! And if you can find it, I highly recommed Luna Negra 2011: blackberry and blackcurrant with Nepalese amber, kewda attar, and a deep, rich, sweet dark musk.

Edited by SophieCedar

Seconding the Initiation (which shares the red wine and vanilla notes with Lisbon Seaport).

The coffee note is a little harder - there aren't nearly enough blends with coffee in them - but you may want to try layering Miskatonic University, which is a very gourmand GC that smells like Irish coffee, with something that has patchouli and vanilla or berry notes.

There's also Centzon Totochtin ("Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood"), which I've never tried but which definitely sounds both gourmand and pirate-y.

Hello, everyone!

I am also on the hunt for a "Tiki Goddess" perfume- reminiscent of Hawaii or tropical islands. I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Oh man, I'm surprised nobody has called out Pele yet. It's pretty much perfect for what you're after. Muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

There's also Hi'iaka if you can find a bottle. Mai'a, hibiscus, white ginger, akala, na'u, Hawaiian moon flower, yellow ilima, pink lokelani, jewel orchid, and fringed orchid.

If you like Shalimar, you might like fresh Snake Oil. If you like L'Heure Bleue, you might like the aged one.

If you like Shalimar, you might like fresh Snake Oil. If you like L'Heure Bleue, you might like the aged one.

I agree with the Shalimar comparison.

The Caterpillar always reminds me of L'Heure Bleue, especially after it has dried down for a while

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Hi guys! A few years back Haus of Gloi had a Halloween scent called Samhain-

Freshly turned earth, wet leaves and a cool specter ridden wind

A very earthy, dirt-scented, creepy Halloween scent, with just a hint of fruit at the end to my nose. If anyone has smelled both, or knows of a BPAL scent that might be similar, please post here! Thanks in advance!

Edited by kokoB

Bluebell: Head Notes of Citrus. Heart Notes of Hyacinth, Lily of the Valley, Cyclamen, Jasmine and Rose. Base Notes of Galbanum, Clove and Cinnamon

Vaara: Head Notes of Quince, Rosewater, Carrot Seed, Coriander Seed, Saffron. Heart Notes

of Moroccan Rose Absolute, Bulgarian Rose Oil, Freesia, Indian Magnolia, Peony, Iris. Base Notes of Honey, White Musk, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Benzoin Resin, Tonka Bean

I had to fly in when Bluebell was mentioned! While Bluebell didn't WOW me, I LOVE Hyacinth!

I have to highly recommend Egle - Its a really fresh floral with Hyacinth! It's honestly everything I expected Bluebell to be!

Sea of Glass is a bit more citrusy and slightly aquatic but there is extremely reminiscent of fresh Hyacinth!

Another could be either of the Whirling Wind Moons. 2009 especially. It doesn't come off as immediately 'blue' as Bluebell but is very similar! I have Whirling Wind Moon 2013 and love it, the addition of ginger gives it a crispness similar to that in Bluebell. It just adds a slight sourness to when wet(which could just be my skin.)

I cant help you on Vaara. I've only had the pleasure of smelling it on others.

I agree with the Shalimar comparison.

The Caterpillar always reminds me of L'Heure Bleue, especially after it has dried down for a while

That's interesting! I've put The Caterpillar on the back-burner because I've seen it compared to Mitsouko, and notes seemed to support it. Mitsouko and I don't get along well, unfortunately, except when I'm wearing leather in cold weather. I was simultaneously testing those four scents, so the similarities show like that on me at least.

In other discoveries, Embalming Fluid reminds me of D&G Light Blue and So Givenchy. It's not an identical twin, but if you're looking for something in the same vein it's a good place to go. I checked the notes and apparently So doesn't even have similar notes, but I had a bottle I used when it's too hot for anything else over several years, still have a little at bottom, and I don't know, the overall effect is just rather similar.

Edited by Convallaria

October, Graveyard Dirt, Potter's Field, A World Where There Are Octobers, Hessian of the Hollow, and Deep in Earth all spring to mind! :)

I love Tokyo Milk's Dark #21 Yesterday (vanilla sugar, wild rose, lime (linden) blossom, clover and woody notes.) Sadly, it has been discontinued. Can anyone make any BPAL recommendations that approximate this scent. Thank you in advance...

Anna M

I had to come here to say that Honore des Pres Love Coco smells exactly like Son of Bigger Critter. So if you've been looking for a dupe, this is it (though unfortunately it's not much cheaper - $98 for a 50mL as of now).

There's no lemon/lime in Love Coco, but there's a bit of bitterness/spice from coriander that reads exactly like the lime in SoBC to me. The full notes are:

Head notes: Seeds and leaves of Coriander, fresh Milk Coconut
Heart notes: Tonka Bean and Vanilla Bourbon
Base notes: White Cedar and organic Coconut Essence

There are no synthetics in it either, which I thought was pretty impressive. Even so, I was looking for more of a true coconut perfume, and ended up with a SoBC-alike which was too much citrus for me... alas. The coconut is still nice, though! Pretty and smooth but not what I wanted.

I love Tokyo Milk's Dark #21 Yesterday (vanilla sugar, wild rose, lime (linden) blossom, clover and woody notes.) Sadly, it has been discontinued. Can anyone make any BPAL recommendations that approximate this scent. Thank you in advance...

Anna M

I've never tried the Tokyo Milk scent, so I am just going off the notes, but you might try:

Snooty Rose - Red rose, oud, plum, bergamot, and red sandalwood.

Hope - Sugared Rose - you could maybe layer this with something woody?

maybe Beauty, The Aggrieved - A white rose draped by a delicate, pale, sheer veil of vanilla, the depth and darkness of her black lace embodied by tobacco absolute, Indonesian patchouli, Bulgarian oakmoss, frankincense, white sandalwood, and myrrh.

I also wonder if Between Your Heart and Mine from Crimson Peak might fit - Heartwood bois de rose and vanilla-touched rose.