Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Anyone know a dupe for Guerlain's Elixir Charnel Oriental Brulant?

It was sadly limited edition and I've used far too much of my bottle for my liking. It reminds me of a really dirty, spicy, sexy vanilla ice cream that's sweet, but not too sweet, and very grown up, if that helps at all?

Having not smelled it before, I did a quick look up, and Google says the main notes are Vanilla/Tonka/Styrax, Almond and Tangerine. That may help you to search on the website for something with similar notes. I took a quick look through my spread sheet and didn't come up with anything exact, but then it's hard to say without having smelled it.

This is what I came up with:

Tombeur (from the VILF collection) Deadly and seductive: vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil. It is the sexiest Vanilla blend I have ever sniffed. For sure fits the "dirty, spicy, sweet but not too sweet vanilla" vibe.

Ava (from Only Lovers Left Alive) Sheer vanilla musk with tuberose, red mandarin, and the sweet poison of white almond This is discontinued now though and will likely be hard to find, but I have seen the odd bottle floating around in the forum sales. I have never tried it, but reading through reviews might give you an idea of whether it's what you're looking for.

That was really all I could come up with, without having smelled it. If you don't have a spreadsheet yet, you may want to download a blank one here courtesy of the lovely izile. I find it's the most helpful thing, not only for keeping track of what you've tried, but also for looking up notes in scents.

Thank you so much! It's a start at least, and Tombeur sounds very close to what I'm looking for :biggrin: Plus, I'm a sucker for anything vanilla.

Now, I hate to be annoying, but does anyone know a dupe for Penhaligon's Peoneve? It smells like straight roses to me, and according to the internet, rose is also one of the leading notes, along with peony. Just. Anyone know anything that smells like pure, unadulterated (well, maybe a little) roses?

Anyone know a dupe for Guerlain's Elixir Charnel Oriental Brulant?

It was sadly limited edition and I've used far too much of my bottle for my liking. It reminds me of a really dirty, spicy, sexy vanilla ice cream that's sweet, but not too sweet, and very grown up, if that helps at all?

Having not smelled it before, I did a quick look up, and Google says the main notes are Vanilla/Tonka/Styrax, Almond and Tangerine. That may help you to search on the website for something with similar notes. I took a quick look through my spread sheet and didn't come up with anything exact, but then it's hard to say without having smelled it.

This is what I came up with:

Tombeur (from the VILF collection) Deadly and seductive: vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil. It is the sexiest Vanilla blend I have ever sniffed. For sure fits the "dirty, spicy, sweet but not too sweet vanilla" vibe.

Ava (from Only Lovers Left Alive) Sheer vanilla musk with tuberose, red mandarin, and the sweet poison of white almond This is discontinued now though and will likely be hard to find, but I have seen the odd bottle floating around in the forum sales. I have never tried it, but reading through reviews might give you an idea of whether it's what you're looking for.

That was really all I could come up with, without having smelled it. If you don't have a spreadsheet yet, you may want to download a blank one here courtesy of the lovely izile. I find it's the most helpful thing, not only for keeping track of what you've tried, but also for looking up notes in scents.

Thank you so much! It's a start at least, and Tombeur sounds very close to what I'm looking for :biggrin: Plus, I'm a sucker for anything vanilla.

Now, I hate to be annoying, but does anyone know a dupe for Penhaligon's Peoneve? It smells like straight roses to me, and according to the internet, rose is also one of the leading notes, along with peony. Just. Anyone know anything that smells like pure, unadulterated (well, maybe a little) roses?

I have been on a search for the perfect Rose for forever. I'm still narrowing it down. I like Rose with other notes as well.

Peony is one of the least common notes in the General Catalogue, currently it's only in two blends and neither have Rose.

Here's a few of my fave Roses, maybe you'll find one you like too.

Two, Five and Seven: A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose……and just an itty bitty bit of green grass

I haven't tried it yet, but The Rose: red rose petals, fresh sap, and the sharp green scent of stem and leaf

I think those are the likeliest to be pure rose. If you want to try Rose with some other notes, these are gorgeous as well

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds: Red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris.

Black Rose: Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

Cicuta: Dry, dusty rose petals, candle smoke, frankincense, and saffron.

Harlot Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon

Delirium: Contains apple, rose, and lemon

There are a ton of blends with Rose. This is just a small sampling of my faves. I would be shocked if you couldn't find a Bpal Rose that you love.

ETA: I tested London tonight -gorgeous! Pure rose. (Venerable Victorian Tea Rose… twisted, blackened and emboldened with wickedness.)

Edited by LizziesLuck

Hello everyone :)

hmm ... how to begin ?

I bought a bottle of Egyptian Musk on ebay,

which was .. approx 10 years .. ago.

I loved this Musk.

It was perfection ... and much different to most BPAL I owned,

so this was great for when I felt like a lighter scent that day.

So now I finally used all the Egyptian Musk I had -

and I don't remember the seller ( although her handle on ebay was Arwens-Abendstern )

She sold me a 50ml , in an unmarked glass roller ball bottle.

I am not sure if she ever told me where that EM was from.

And most of all it really pains me ..

*THE* Holy Grail scent ( next to quite a few of my BPALs) is GONE.

Now I was wondering -

has there ever been a Single Note Egyptian Musk BPAL ?

Do you have any suggestions for a Egyptian Musk for me ?

The one I had was floral without being flower-y , strong but never overwhelming.

I *think* there was Sandlewood and a mellow musk note

that clung to me for DAYS ... even without applying every single day.

I have tried Abdul Kareem Egyptian Musk,

and even though this is nice,

it is not what I was looking for ...

So ... any ideas ? :)

All the best

Lucy

I believe Egyptian Musk was in the original run of Single Notes (the line that was discontinued years ago). If you go to the Lab's website and type "musk" in the search box, it will bring up a dropdown of product name and product tag results. Clicking around on the different product tags (especially Musk - African and Musk - Arabian) brought me to one result-- Mr. Ibis: "Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood."

Hmmm ..

this is not really what I was looking for.

I was looking for a recommendation for pure Egyptian Musk,

not neccesarily from BPAL.

I bought Shining beak of pure horn last year

because it had Egyptian Musk in it... but it was to toned down on the musk for me.

I searched on the Labs site directly,

but couldn't find anything that resembled "my" Egyptian Musk.

I have been searching the web the last few days

and there seem to be as many Egyptian Musks as there are seller O.o

I guess I have to trial-and-error from different sellers :)

Hmmm ..

this is not really what I was looking for.

I was looking for a recommendation for pure Egyptian Musk,

not neccesarily from BPAL.

You may want to post your query to the Other Perfumes You Love thread to get some suggestions beyond the Lab. That said, if you wanted to try a BPAL, I'd suggest you check out Bastet, which is just :thud: IMO, and has Egyptian Musk as a note. The description is: Luxuriant amber, warm Egyptian musk, fierce saffron and soft myrrh, almond, cardamom and golden lotus.

Any recs for Diptyque's Eau Duelle?

- Vanilla, Spices, Frankincense -

Maybe Eclipse? bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon

That was all I could find in the General Catalogue that combined Frankincense, Vanilla and spice.

Maybe Eclipse? bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon

That was all I could find in the General Catalogue that combined Frankincense, Vanilla and spice.

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll check that out :D

Edited by nicellama

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'll check that out :D

Even if it smells nothing like Eau Duelle, it's gorgeous and worth trying. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

you might like Snake Oil or Morocco for classic GCs. if you're also considering LEs that you would have to get secondhand (or maybe find on the Lab's etsy or ebay), you might like (Not So) Penitent (Mini) Magdalene. You also might like All Souls, which comes out nearly every year for the Yule update

I've worn Eau Duelle, it's not too much of a stretch to recommend Snake Oil. Eau Duelle is a little woodier maybe.

Thank you for the rec, I have purchased a bottle of aged Snake Oil, can't wait to try it out :)

I've worn Eau Duelle, it's not too much of a stretch to recommend Snake Oil. Eau Duelle is a little woodier maybe.

Thank you for the rec, I have purchased a bottle of aged Snake Oil, can't wait to try it out :)

I just realized, Waltz Of The Snowflakes might be even closer. It has a cool woodsy quality that I get from Eau Duelle.

you also might like one of the Snake Pit scents from the Carnaval Diabolique collection (you can find some of them secondhand, and they will be re-released eventually, possibly in the next year).

you might particularly like:

AUSTRALIAN COPPERHEAD:

Snake Oil with acai berry, amber, cardamom, neroli, and smoked vanilla.

BOOMSLANG:

Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.

HABU:

Snake Oil with ho wood, teak, black musk, and bamboo.

KING COBRA:

Snake Oil with orris, frankincense, and copal.

I just realized, Waltz Of The Snowflakes might be even closer. It has a cool woodsy quality that I get from Eau Duelle.

Ooh I'll have to get a sample of that one, Yule should be coming soon?

you also might like one of the Snake Pit scents from the Carnaval Diabolique collection (you can find some of them secondhand, and they will be re-released eventually, possibly in the next year).

you might particularly like:

AUSTRALIAN COPPERHEAD: [/size]

Snake Oil with acai berry, amber, cardamom, neroli, and smoked vanilla.[/size]BOOMSLANG: [/size]Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk.[/size]HABU: [/size]Snake Oil with ho wood, teak, black musk, and bamboo.[/size]KING COBRA: [/size]Snake Oil with orris, frankincense, and copal.[/size]

Thank you! These sound lovely, hope they do come back around next year!

I'm searching for a BPAL similar to my best friend's favorite old perfume: L'Artisan Traversée du Bosphore

Description from Fragrantica: Apple and pomegranate are in the top, leather and tulip (saffron note) are in the heart, Turkish delight (rahat-loukum: rose, sugar, almond) is in the base note.

Any help very much appreciated!!! :wub3:

:wave: I'm looking for a BPAL similar to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka :

From Fragrantica : Top notes are violet, ivy, basil, anise, licorice and wormwood; middle notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, rum and almond; base notes are vanilla, vetiver, cedar, praline and labdanum.

Thanks for your help :smilenod:

:wave: I'm looking for a BPAL similar to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka :

From Fragrantica : Top notes are violet, ivy, basil, anise, licorice and wormwood; middle notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, rum and almond; base notes are vanilla, vetiver, cedar, praline and labdanum.

Thanks for your help :smilenod:

I have a mini-bottle of this, and a full-size bottle of the Leau version. (I also have a mini of the feminine one, just wore it yesterday - man that stuff lasts and lasts!)

Mad Hatter is the first thing that comes to mind, even though it doesn't have the licorice or anise note, it has a similar clean-musk vibe.

Also maybe: Bow & Crown of Conquest